Sign in to follow this  
Janet0312

Another Bad Statue

26 posts in this topic

Why didn't he just tell the people of Riverside to donate the money they raised toward the park in which his likeness stands? Better yet, why didn't he make a donation to the town center's park in lieu of a statue?

Naw. All he contributed was his "approval" for the statue to be erected. That's more befitting Shatner's ego.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

It looks nothing like him!

looks more like Dr. McCoy

:rolleyes:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bad statue for a bad actor. Seems appropriate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 9:23 AM, Janet0312 said:

Golly gosh, that's not Kirk!

It looks more like Peter Strzok, who just testified before Congress about his FBI texts to Lisa Page.

Check out his photo and tell me it does not resemble him more than Shatner.

This looks to be a very subversive move to honor him in Iowa, for withstanding ten hours of scrutiny and testimony.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Strzok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

looks more like Dr. McCoy

:rolleyes:

That's exactly what I thought.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vautrin said:

A bad statue for a bad actor. Seems appropriate.

Ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Golly gosh, that's not Kirk!

It looks more like Peter Strzok, who just testified before Congress about his FBI texts to Lisa Page.

Check out his photo and tell me it does not resemble him more than Shatner.

This looks to be a very subversive move to honor him in Iowa, for withstanding ten hours of scrutiny and testimony.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Strzok

Is this the same guy that molded Lucy? 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a statue.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've seen almost all the TV Land channel commissioned statues including both Andy & Opies, Bewitched, Ralph Kramden (and photos of the MTM one) and they are all exact, perfect likenesses of the actors from just about every angle.

This Captain Kirk is a FAILURE, much like the Lucy one in Jamestown NY. Not every artist is as good as the one hired by TV Land obviously. We've gone down this road on this board before-as an artist/sculptor myself, I've pointed out things to look for: eyes, neck, hands, the draping of the "fabric" on the body and most importantly, the relaxed, ease of the pose.

Sculptures are difficult since it is 3 dimensional and has to look good from every angle. We're humans-our eyes are "trained" to recognise each other and we can find even the teeniest fault in artistic representations.

A few years ago I saw the new Don Knotts statue commissioned by Morgantown WV. Artist Jamie Lester is a MASTER sculptor and wouldn't be surprised if he was the same artist who had done the TV Land ones, although can't confirm with internet searches (http://jamie-lester.com/sculpture/)
The horrific Lucy one should teach every city to shop around for the best sculptor-or just skip the project all together!

Besides, as a die hard Trekkie, I think the entire Iowa thing is a stinker. Shatner even did a failed reality show I think called IOWA INVASION where he actually made fun of the town's ridiculous claim to fame. According to his book UP TIL NOW, Shatner regretted making fools of the townspeople, since they are genuinely nice people. But still, the idea to capitalize on this being "Kirk's Birthplace" for tourism is quite a stretch.
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a good example...
Here's what Morgantown WV almost got:

20060717Wap_FIFE_STATUE_230.jpg

They wisely chose THIS artist & depiction:

Don-Knotts-Statue-3.jpg

Like night & day.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

That's exactly what I thought.

at first glance I thought it looked more like Gary Seven.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Well I've seen almost all the TV Land channel commissioned statues including both Andy & Opies, Bewitched, Ralph Kramden (and photos of the MTM one) and they are all exact, perfect likenesses of the actors from just about every angle.

This Captain Kirk is a FAILURE, much like the Lucy one in Jamestown NY. Not every artist is as good as the one hired by TV Land obviously. We've gone down this road on this board before-as an artist/sculptor myself, I've pointed out things to look for: eyes, neck, hands, the draping of the "fabric" on the body and most importantly, the relaxed, ease of the pose.

Sculptures are difficult since it is 3 dimensional and has to look good from every angle. We're humans-our eyes are "trained" to recognise each other and we can find even the teeniest fault in artistic representations.

A few years ago I saw the new Don Knotts statue commissioned by Morgantown WV. Artist Jamie Lester is a MASTER sculptor and wouldn't be surprised if he was the same artist who had done the TV Land ones, although can't confirm with internet searches (http://jamie-lester.com/sculpture/)
The horrific Lucy one should teach every city to shop around for the best sculptor-or just skip the project all together!

Besides, as a die hard Trekkie, I think the entire Iowa thing is a stinker. Shatner even did a failed reality show I think called IOWA INVASION where he actually made fun of the town's ridiculous claim to fame. According to his book UP TIL NOW, Shatner regretted making fools of the townspeople, since they are genuinely nice people. But still, the idea to capitalize on this being "Kirk's Birthplace" for tourism is quite a stretch.

yeah, and star trek IV the voyage home was a stinker too. good direction by nimoy but a ridiculously heavy handed pc story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shatner's ego could use a peg down or two. Heaven knows he needs it.

Perhaps the statue not looking anything like him is karma....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Shatner's ego could use a peg down or two. Heaven knows he needs it.

Perhaps the statue not looking anything like him is karma....

But without his hubris, Beth they never could have written that hilarious sketch with Shatner on SNL, where he confronted all the Trekkies asking questions and told them they were losers!

But you're right, he is full of himself and yet, I really still like him. He's pompous sometimes, annoying and speaks his lines slowly so as not to forget them, and yet I get a big kick out of him. I think ever since I saw him in the Emmy award winning episode on "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" called "The Glass Eye" I've been a fan.

As for statues, I tend to not care for the exact replica kind which look like they did a mold as in wax figures for Madame Tussaud's in London. A bit of flair, that looks like the work of Kenneth Kendall on James Dean would be nice, or a bit more in the classical Bernini style instead of so typically exact but boring, but I guess that's asking way too much. The one of Don Knotts did look like Don Knotts so I guess that's a good thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh, Mr Tiki just pointed out to me the statue doesn't represent William Shatner as Captain Kirk, but some young hipster who plays "young" Capt. Kirk in the new franchise-BLASPHEMY! 

t_500x300.jpg

We all know Shatner is the only real Captain Kirk.....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Heh, Mr Tiki just pointed out to me the statue doesn't represent William Shatner as Captain Kirk, but some young hipster who plays "young" Capt. Kirk in the new franchise-BLASPHEMY! 

t_500x300.jpg

We all know Shatner is the only real Captain Kirk.....

I wonder if whoever did the statue was even aware that STAR TREK was a tv show long before a huge blockbuster film.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 9:35 AM, LawrenceA said:

Here's the statue:

3qneR-1530891142-embed-captain_kirk_stat

Now, why on earth do I suddenly have a strong urge to book a hotel room with Trivago???!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 10:36 AM, Hibi said:

Does the hair come off???

Well, it's bronze, so you'd likely need a blow torch, rather than a blow dryer... 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us