wunderlong88

WATCH TCM not working

20 posts in this topic

When I select and movie and select PLAY on the film page nothing happens.  It acts like I didn't even select it.  I've tried restarting my computer, logging in and out, and 2 different browsers (edge, chrome).  I use WATCH TCM all of the time with no problem.  I had this problem first thing this a.m. but after a couple of refreshes it worked.  Now I can't get any movie to play even after all of the previous steps.

TY

(I have Windows 10)

• Sad 1

FWIW, I can stream the live movies (EAST and WEST) but still can't PLAY on demand any previous movies.  The PLAY button turns blue when I hover and click it but it appears to do nothing.  Nothing is being loaded or changed anywhere on the page or trying to from what I can tell.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wunderlong88 said:

When I select and movie and select PLAY on the film page nothing happens.  It acts like I didn't even select it.  I've tried restarting my computer, logging in and out, and 2 different browsers (edge, chrome).  I use WATCH TCM all of the time with no problem.  I had this problem first thing this a.m. but after a couple of refreshes it worked.  Now I can't get any movie to play even after all of the previous steps.

TY

(I have Windows 10)

Win 10 & Google Chrome... two "bad" choices (IMHO), Oh and MS Edge, too!

1 hour ago, wunderlong88 said:

FWIW, I can stream the live movies (EAST and WEST) but still can't PLAY on demand any previous movies.  The PLAY button turns blue when I hover and click it but it appears to do nothing.  Nothing is being loaded or changed anywhere on the page or trying to from what I can tell.

Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of WATCH TCM, ON-DEMAND!
To repeat the oft repeated and much paraphrased quote: "You Aint Seen Nothing Yet!"

This latest piece of WATCH TCM crapola was noticed and first posted about yesterday (7/11/2018) late afternoon.
(See those dated posts in the following thread.)

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/187092-new-tcm-website/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-1779554

Since "it" began, it comes and goes, and repeats again (functionality wise)...
You may be able to watch a movie at one moment, and then not the next.
Also Noticed that the Live streams appear not to be affected, and can still look at the clips, trailer, and intro videos, even when the ON-DEMAND movies refuse to load.

As is most often the case, these current woes are being innitiated by "someone" at TCM.
"They" may be trying to "fix" something else, but in the process keep screwing with the ability to WATCH TCM movies ON-DEMAND!
Only "they" know what they are up to and why... and, as usual, TCM isn't telling any of their subscribers about any of it!

Rest assured, as invasively screwed up as Win 10, MS Edge, and Google Chrome are, what is currently happening has nothing directly to do with any of our Operating Systems, or our choice of Browsers.
It is strictly TCM behaving badly, as it too often does, and only "those" at TCM know when (or if) this latest (of a long and ever growing line) of TCM inflicted problems will be "resolved."

If "Patience" is a virtue, then yours will be repeatedly tested, again and again, by TCM.
If shared misery offers any comfort, then you are far from alone with WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND!

The problem is still ongoing. Albeit sporadic.
Have no idea what the TCM "techies" are attempting to accomplish.
Aside from the recent sporadic WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND failures, I've not noticed any other obvious (post 6/20/2018) changes... (good or bad).
TCM does what they do incognito, without forewarning. We generally only notice the negative post effects (after the fact), So who knows.
I will not consider this issue "resolved" until I have spent at least a week or more without encountering it.
Then I will still remain apprehensive, as no doubt some other (minor or major) issue will arise within a month, as has been TCM's apparent routine for going on a year now.

• Thanks 1

In the middle of running through the catalogue of films on WatchTCM, I was suddenly asked to sign in via my cable subscriber, and every time I tried it, the website claimed there was a problem and I should try again.  The problem is not mine, however, it's TCM's!  Plus, if I click on the Contact Us or Help links, I get a warning message from my browser telling me there is something fishy with the certificate and I should not proceed.

I think that TCM's digital team is busy building two sites and constantly reconstructing -- there is the Streaming channel, Filmstruck, and WatchTCM.  It's frustrating to experience these growing pains, but these are my favorite channels, so I grin and bear it.  ?

• Thanks 1

I do not think there is a single cable/internet option out there that is more inept than TCM.  Problems with the updated (read 'NO LONGER FUNCTIONING') Watch TCM component; TCM Monthlies that arrive 2 weeks late or not at all; TCM online courses that are filled with misinformation (TCM Mad About Musicals); TCM site components that don't open when the link is hit.  Most unacceptably, emails sent directly to the TCM email address provided that never receive replies.  My guess is that these TCM internet components are staffed by youngsters who couldn't care less about TCM's movies or its target audience.  It's a job for someone on their way to somewhere else so if the functions stink, who cares because I'm on to bigger and better things.  Customer service means nothing to these vacuous subservients.  

• Sad 1

We've been (once again) having problems with the TCM streaming app with FireTV and and Playstation Vue.   Restarted the device, cleaned out both data and cache and still no joy.  TCM really needs to consider the future, people are cutting the cord at a faster rate then anticipated, the future is on demand streaming.   BTW the new app is a step back IMO.

App is working again, I had to log out and log back in through my provider (Playstation Vue) to get it to work again.

• Sad 1

I can not pause, rewind or fast-forward anything on demand. NOr can I access subtitles. I have this problem witgh NO other web players anywhere. I am using a Windows 8 laptop.

Does anyone know that I can do about these issues?????

• Sad 1

Watch TCM was not working for me as well but it is now fixed using Chrome, and that's fine since I've pretty much stopped using Firefox. 
Within seconds of starting a movie, all the controls and timeline would disappear.
They now stay visible. Pause, play, close captioning, moving the timeline slider all work.
I sent a fairly detailed email, (around Oct. 5th), to their helpline with screenshots of the controls going away, descriptions of the behavior, that others were having similar issues and that without at least play and pause, the website was useless to me.
I got a basic auto reply to my message, so was not sure if anything would happen.
I said if they fixed it I would join the forum and let people know, so, happily, here I am!

I hope it is working for others as well.

• Sad 1

Well, it's been a while but here I am again. The TCM on demand portion is currently not working for me on Firefox or Chrome. I can bring up the list of films but when I click on one it won't load. I just clicked on watch live and the movie immediately opened. Anyone else currently experiencing this problem?

Thanks

Andy G.

• Sad 1

Andyg404, Wunderlong: Unfortunately, I have had this "access" problem with "tcm on demand" while streaming on numerous occasions.  My cable carrier is Verizon, and today, when I mistakenly thought that tcm's OWN technical problems were finally corrected, I receive the message "your subscription does not have access to this content", which is nothing but garbage because every time I contact Verizon with this repeated problem, they tell me the same thing over and  over again--that there has been no change by Verizon to my channel lineup and that I am still a tcm cable subscriber.  When I don't watch any other tv channels, this is a big problem because I am paying Verizon big bucks each month to access only tcm (my other family members are a different story, but they don't pay Verizon, as I do!)  When will tcm get its technical act together so that its viewers are not repeatedly inconvenienced and frustrated?

Hi,

That problem has been discussed on the board before and it took a while to clear up then. Currently that's not what's going on with my system and I have Verizon as well. But I see that when I posted about having no access I didn't do enough research. There is a problem with all the new movies loading. The last movie that I can load is Isle of Fury. The next film in rotation is Men in Exile and from that point forward none of them load. This also has happened in the past and now I'm wondering how long it will take to fix this time. I'm going to try and contact TCM but that's never been successful previously and I don't really expect to hear back now. I'd like to hear from other members if they are experiencing any of these problems. I find it hard to believe it would be just the two us.

Andy

Same problem here.  This is the third time this year I've been unable to view Watch TCM using Google Chrome.  Click on the play arrow and nothing happens.  Had a friend try and open Watch TCM on Safari and it worked fine.  Any remedy to this?  I'm needing me some Joan Blondell and Dick Powell real bad!

Also same problem here.  Everything loads up to Isle of Fury and then nothing loads.

Edit: as of last night 12/17/2018 everything was working again!  Wanted to see the girl eating tree movie !!

Edited by nlkelly

I get a black screen and a long error message that reads ‘blah blah blah error 1’ on 9 out of ten movies I tried to load on the watch tcm app on an iPad pro. I’ve got a 175 mbps feed, I’ve used the app forever; and this is a new ‘feature’ the army of coders inserted with the last app update. Thanks, TCM! Why don’t you send the coders home, quit screwing around ‘improving’ the app, and if it ain’t broke, don’t pay people to break it!

I wasted an hour rebooting everything, uninstalling and reinstalling the ‘watch tcm’ app, signing in and out and back in. Nope. Same dysfunction. Black screen, error message. This needs to be fixed pronto please.

And while you’re at it, go back to the prior version of the user interface instead of the ridiculous mess we got with the last ‘major upgrade.’

And you could get the ‘watch TCM’ on demand films linked up with roku as well. Why that didn’t happen long ago I will never know. I can watch every streaming service EXCEPT TCM via roku on my flat panel tv - why no TCM, if I’m a cable subscriber with TCM service?

I just went into the site and it appears to have been fixed. I hope I don't come back in a couple of hours when I'm ready to watch a film to say different. Thanks to those who let me know I wasn't the odd man out.