Sign in to follow this  
LandLfan

Your Top 3 Disney Features (1937-1967)

19 posts in this topic

I was just curious as to your 3 favorite feature films personally surpervised by Walt Disney.

It's tough to decide, but I'd say my top 3 are:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

Cinderella (1950)

Lady and the Tramp (1955)

What are yours?

jon

Message was edited by: LandLfan

Jungle Book Love the jazzy soundtrack--has George Sanders, Louis Prima, Sterling Holloway and Sebastion Cabot-how could it miss?

Peter Pan-Tinkerbell is the best!

Mary Poppins-Dick van Dyke and Julie Andrews and "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"-what more is needed?

or if Mary is too live action, then how about 101 Dalmations or Alice in Wonderland

When I was 5 it was definitely Sleeping Beauty

Actually, I'm more a fan of later Disney films, the ones not supervised by Disney, like The Lion King and Aladdin

Pinocchio

Fantasia

Snow White

the first three do it for me...Snow White and Pinocchio had art direction from Gustaff Tendgrenn (sp?) before he became famous for Poky Little Puppy, Saggy Baggy Elephnat, Tawny Srawny Lion, etc...also I like Mary Blair's influence on Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland...

Jungle Book 1967

The Absent Minded Professor 1961

The Swiss Family Robinson 1960

But There Are More

The Shaggy Dog 1959

Son Of Flubber 1963

Old Yeller 1957

1. Jungle Book : Louis Prima and Phil Harris!!! Yeah Man!..George Sanders as Shere Khan. All around great fun music and animation.

2. Sleeping Beauty : 2 words Eyvind Earle. The colors, designs and style of this film are still brilliant and stand out as a masterpiece.

3. Gosh this last one is hard...Robin Hood, Mulan, Dumbo, etc...hmmm I am going to go and say Melody Time. Melody Time for one reason...."Once Upon A Wintertime". This segment is the perfect superb mix of animation and color.

The Mary Blair story boards for OUAW are just as gorgeous as the film (if not better). What a gem.

Message was edited by: cubswin1984

i like george sanders, the king in forever amber, and as the saint, cool

i always sing bear necessities, and walk like me-to my 18 and 21 yr old and they laugh..

gotta get a tissue-this reminising gets emotional sometimes eh..lol.

JungleBook is great but...

too many monkeys for me...lol

Fantasia (1940) The colors and the adaptation of the music to a visual story, breath taking.

Snow White because it was never done before. The whole studio worked the hardest they ever did and was proud of the film.

Dumbo, the pink elephants on parade scene again is something to see..

I'm going to leave out the Disney/Pixar films, because I honestly don't know which ones had enough Disney involvement to be called "Disney Films". Which doesn't change my #1:

1: "Beauty and the Beast" an absolutely enchanting film.

2: "Enchanted", my favorite comedy of the last few decades.

3: A tie between "Sleeping Beauty", with its Tchaikovsky score and 50s/medieval look, and "The Three Caballeros", which is just plain surreal. One of the wierdest movies ever made, too strange to rate a DVD release.

And FYI, "Snow White" always gives me the creeps, because at the end a handsome grown man runs off with an eleven-year-old girl, after giving her a passionate kiss. I appreciate its place in film history, but eeeeeww.

1. Pinocchio - Everything about it (except maybe the underlying meaning) is wonderful, the animation is GORGEOUS, the characters are charming, and the songs - well, there's a reason why *When You Wish Upon a Star* is still as famous as it was 70 years ago. And Cliff Edwards voice? Heavenly.

2. Lady and the Tramp - What can I say? I'm a dog lover.

3. 101 Dalmatians - see number 2.

Donald Duck In Mathmagic Land. I remember seeing that in grade school in the 1980's and it still sticks with me.

> {quote:title=Geoffe wrote:}{quote}

> Donald Duck In Mathmagic Land. I remember seeing that in grade school in the 1980's and it still sticks with me.

I love that one, too, although I believe that strictly speaking, it isn't a feature, but a short.

In any case, I also watched it in grade school (in 16mm!) and have never forgotten it.

Bambi, Robin Hood & Snow White. Bambi made me care for animals, Robin Hood was half cartoon half movie with singing & SW, well she had the 7 Dwarfs who were the stars also.

If we're sticking with cartoons I guess mine are:

1. Beauty and the Beast

2. Sleeping Beauty

3. This is harder -- Kind of a three way tie between Dumbo, Sword and the Stone, and the Little Mermaid

If we're talking live action too:

1. Mary Poppins

2. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

3. Candeshoe (this was tough, but anything with David Niven wins)

I have too many #1s and I can't possibly put them in order of preference, so I'll say, in alphabetical order,

Fantasia

Pinocchio

Sleeping Beauty

Of course I adore pretty much all of them. Animation is an incredible thing to me.