spence

Cast Your Vote for the Top 5-10 Greatest Movies???

6 posts in this topic

I did this prior on actors & actresses, but hardly got a response? Now I know why it was placed in the seldom looked at FAVORITES section, at least I hope that was why?  Because you fans are the movie film knowledgable on the net as is this fun one PLEASE SCAN THIS TIME & THROW IN YOUR 2 CENTS OR HAT/FEDORA & as with that previous survey I'll first list what AFI-(American Film Institute)-(Est: 1967-) had to offer with it's huge membership VS  us guy folks!

(*-denotes an *ACADEMY (AMPAS) Award winner)

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies"-(1998 poll, top ten out of 100 compiled)>

#1st place CITIZEN KANE (l94l-RKO Radio) (WINNER!)  2. *CASABLANCA (l943) (Warner Bros.) 3. *THE GODFATHER" (l972) 4th *GWTW" (l939-Selzinck/MGM) 5th place *LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (l962-British) 6. WIZARD OF OZ (l939-M-G-M)  7th THE GRADUATE (l967) 8. *ON THE WATERFRONT (l954-Columbia) 9. *SCHINDLER'S LIST ('93) 10th place SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (l952-Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)

VS. AFI's 100yrs...100 MOVIES-10th Anniversary Edition. aired on CBS-TV June of '98)>

#1st place again & WINNER  KANE  2. THE GODFATHER  3rd *CASABLANCA 4. RAGING BULL (l980) 5th SINGIN'IN THE RAIN  6. *GWTW  7. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA   8. SCHINDLER'S LIST  9. VERTIGO (l958-Paramount) & 10th THE WIZARD OF OZ  (NOTE: Only also listing two runners-up for good reason  11th CITY LIGHTS (l931-UA) & 12th THE SEARCHERS (l956-WB)-(this amazingly was voted up 84 slots in a decade!)

(TRIVIA: To celebrate the end of the century tv's ET-(filmed on old RKO side of Paramount) buried a time capsule under Hollywood & Highland/Dobly Theatre in 2000 & not to be unearthed for another 100yrs)

AND now for my own personal choices, though devided into my own DVD Time Capsule  VS. actual greatest I've ever seen to date>besides own memorabilia they voted & buried 3 VHS  It's a Wonderful Life (l946-RKO), Singin' in the Rain & Wizard of 0z

#1st favorite *THE GODFATHER (l90l-90) TRILOGY-(available on DVD only, non theatrical release)   2. KANE  3. CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (l937-MGM), 4 *CASABLANCA  5th fav of mine MODERN TIMES  6. DUMBO  7. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE  8. THE SEARCHERS  9. VERTIGO & 10th THE QUIET MAN (l952-Republic)

VS. My candidates for the all-time greatest I've ever seen, so-far anyway>

#1st place CITIZEN KANE  2. THE GODFATHER (l972) 3. THE GODFATHER, PART II" 4. *CASABLANCA  5th best RAGING BULL  6th place CITY LIGHTS  7. MODERN TIMES 8. VERTIGO  9. APOCALYPSE NOW (l979)  10th *SCHINDLER'S LIST (Honorable mentions top 5 only permitted)>11th place 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY & 12th THE THIRD MAN 

THANBK YOU & AS ALWAYS CAST YOURS FAVS & MORE

& SHOULD THIS BE PUT OVER IN GENERAL ???

Top Ten Favorite Movies

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Taxi Driver
  3. The Godfather Trilogy
  4. Goodfellas
  5. The Shining
  6. Raging Bull
  7. The Original Star Wars Trilogy
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Chinatown
  10. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Top Ten Favorite Movies

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Taxi Driver
  3. The Godfather Trilogy
  4. Goodfellas
  5. The Shining
  6. Raging Bull
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Chinatown

COOL BEANS AS AN EX WIFE USED TO SAY    JOHNNY ON THE SPOT   (P.S. But are they all your favs or flix your regard as thee finest as well?  I know it's tedious, I adore Dumbo but I know it's not really among the greatest

To be fair AFI's runners-up in 1998 were #11 IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE & #12th place  SUNSET BLVD & for 2007's-(never got broadcast though?) CITY LIGHTS & DIG THIS ONE THE SEARCHERS was voted from 96th to 12th in a decade    VERTIGO went from 52nd place to 9th

LAWRENCEA,  2 questions where are you located in this state & how did you come about your handle?

THANX AGAIN-(should I submit these or try to GENERAL DISCUSSIONS where more use it & I think that's why many didn't chime-in on performers   WHAT DO YOU THINK

Seeing APOCALYPSE a top your list, it only makes me feel better, because I got into at only 15 in 1979 & just knew it was something differenmt & special  Back in the 1980's & '90's 

Premiere magazine-(sure miss it!) used to have in house polls on the best in each genre & it won first place for any war-film up to that stage

They had such a poll every monthly issue & for Westerns> THE SEARCHERS   WAR> APOCALYPSE  SCI-FI>2001  HORROR>BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN  MUSICALS>SINGIN'IN THE RAIN  COMEDY_(not certain, but may have been CITY LIGHTS?-(AFI in 2001 voted SOME LIKE IT HOT)    Can't remember the rest right now, saved many of those, but unfortunately also still in boxes

17 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Top Ten Favorite Movies

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Taxi Driver
  3. The Godfather Trilogy
  4. Goodfellas
  5. The Shining
  6. Raging Bull
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Chinatown

See you either prefer color to B & W, or top ten you choose are the one's you rate superior, huh