spence

Cast Your Vote for the Top 5-10 Greatest Movies???

22 posts in this topic

I did this prior on actors & actresses, but hardly got a response? Now I know why it was placed in the seldom looked at FAVORITES section, at least I hope that was why?  Because you fans are the movie film knowledgable on the net as is this fun one PLEASE SCAN THIS TIME & THROW IN YOUR 2 CENTS OR HAT/FEDORA & as with that previous survey I'll first list what AFI-(American Film Institute)-(Est: 1967-) had to offer with it's huge membership VS  us guy folks!

(*-denotes an *ACADEMY (AMPAS) Award winner)

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies"-(1998 poll, top ten out of 100 compiled)>

#1st place CITIZEN KANE (l94l-RKO Radio) (WINNER!)  2. *CASABLANCA (l943) (Warner Bros.) 3. *THE GODFATHER" (l972) 4th *GWTW" (l939-Selzinck/MGM) 5th place *LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (l962-British) 6. WIZARD OF OZ (l939-M-G-M)  7th THE GRADUATE (l967) 8. *ON THE WATERFRONT (l954-Columbia) 9. *SCHINDLER'S LIST ('93) 10th place SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (l952-Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)

VS. AFI's 100yrs...100 MOVIES-10th Anniversary Edition. aired on CBS-TV June of '98)>

#1st place again & WINNER  KANE  2. THE GODFATHER  3rd *CASABLANCA 4. RAGING BULL (l980) 5th SINGIN'IN THE RAIN  6. *GWTW  7. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA   8. SCHINDLER'S LIST  9. VERTIGO (l958-Paramount) & 10th THE WIZARD OF OZ  (NOTE: Only also listing two runners-up for good reason  11th CITY LIGHTS (l931-UA) & 12th THE SEARCHERS (l956-WB)-(this amazingly was voted up 84 slots in a decade!)

(TRIVIA: To celebrate the end of the century tv's ET-(filmed on old RKO side of Paramount) buried a time capsule under Hollywood & Highland/Dobly Theatre in 2000 & not to be unearthed for another 100yrs)

AND now for my own personal choices, though devided into my own DVD Time Capsule  VS. actual greatest I've ever seen to date>besides own memorabilia they voted & buried 3 VHS  It's a Wonderful Life (l946-RKO), Singin' in the Rain & Wizard of 0z

#1st favorite *THE GODFATHER (l90l-90) TRILOGY-(available on DVD only, non theatrical release)   2. KANE  3. CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (l937-MGM), 4 *CASABLANCA  5th fav of mine MODERN TIMES  6. DUMBO  7. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE  8. THE SEARCHERS  9. VERTIGO & 10th THE QUIET MAN (l952-Republic)

VS. My candidates for the all-time greatest I've ever seen, so-far anyway>

#1st place CITIZEN KANE  2. THE GODFATHER (l972) 3. THE GODFATHER, PART II" 4. *CASABLANCA  5th best RAGING BULL  6th place CITY LIGHTS  7. MODERN TIMES 8. VERTIGO  9. APOCALYPSE NOW (l979)  10th *SCHINDLER'S LIST (Honorable mentions top 5 only permitted)>11th place 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY & 12th THE THIRD MAN 

THANBK YOU & AS ALWAYS CAST YOURS FAVS & MORE

& SHOULD THIS BE PUT OVER IN GENERAL ???

• Like 1

Top Ten Favorite Movies

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Taxi Driver
  3. The Godfather Trilogy
  4. Goodfellas
  5. The Shining
  6. Raging Bull
  7. The Original Star Wars Trilogy
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Chinatown
  10. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Top Ten Favorite Movies

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Taxi Driver
  3. The Godfather Trilogy
  4. Goodfellas
  5. The Shining
  6. Raging Bull
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Chinatown

COOL BEANS AS AN EX WIFE USED TO SAY    JOHNNY ON THE SPOT   (P.S. But are they all your favs or flix your regard as thee finest as well?  I know it's tedious, I adore Dumbo but I know it's not really among the greatest

To be fair AFI's runners-up in 1998 were #11 IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE & #12th place  SUNSET BLVD & for 2007's-(never got broadcast though?) CITY LIGHTS & DIG THIS ONE THE SEARCHERS was voted from 96th to 12th in a decade    VERTIGO went from 52nd place to 9th

LAWRENCEA,  2 questions where are you located in this state & how did you come about your handle?

THANX AGAIN-(should I submit these or try to GENERAL DISCUSSIONS where more use it & I think that's why many didn't chime-in on performers   WHAT DO YOU THINK

Seeing APOCALYPSE a top your list, it only makes me feel better, because I got into at only 15 in 1979 & just knew it was something differenmt & special  Back in the 1980's & '90's 

Premiere magazine-(sure miss it!) used to have in house polls on the best in each genre & it won first place for any war-film up to that stage

They had such a poll every monthly issue & for Westerns> THE SEARCHERS   WAR> APOCALYPSE  SCI-FI>2001  HORROR>BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN  MUSICALS>SINGIN'IN THE RAIN  COMEDY_(not certain, but may have been CITY LIGHTS?-(AFI in 2001 voted SOME LIKE IT HOT)    Can't remember the rest right now, saved many of those, but unfortunately also still in boxes

17 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Top Ten Favorite Movies

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Taxi Driver
  3. The Godfather Trilogy
  4. Goodfellas
  5. The Shining
  6. Raging Bull
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Chinatown

See you either prefer color to B & W, or top ten you choose are the one's you rate superior, huh

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, LawrenceA said:

Top Ten Favorite Movies

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Taxi Driver
  3. The Godfather Trilogy
  4. Goodfellas
  5. The Shining
  6. Raging Bull
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Chinatown

4 BIG THUMBS UP FOR INCLUDING THE WAR EPIC FAR AHEAD OF IT'S TIME IN 1979's APOCALYPSE NOW!

But are these your favs or what you rate as the best-(often as you know this varies)

RAGING BULL sure did go way up the food chain in a decade since AFI';s 1998 poll up top No. #4 ever in it's 2007 edition

Biggest stunner was THE SEARCHERS in '98 all the way down it's final list at #84th & what a difference a decade makes in 2007 was voted #12th!

THANX AGAIN

1. Anthony Adverse
  2. The Dead
  3. Reds
  4. Napoleon (1927)
  5. Maurice
  6. The Age of Innocence (1993)
  7. Tom Jones
  8. A Passage to India
  9. The Grapes of Wrath
  10. Mrs. Miniver
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 7:20 PM, LawrenceA said:

Top Ten Favorite Movies

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Taxi Driver
  3. The Godfather Trilogy
  4. Goodfellas
  5. The Shining
  6. Raging Bull
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Chinatown

Wow, late 60s and into the 70s, that's interesting considering your vast familiarity of movies through the decades. And four De Niro's. Very interesting, Lawrence.

I'm going to try to come up with a list but I am very bad at this. I don't have a clear enough idea to prioritize. The only one you have that might make my list is Strangelove.

3 minutes ago, laffite said:

Wow, late 60s and into the 70s, that's interesting considering your vast familiarity of movies through the decades. And four De Niro's. Very interesting, Lawrence.

I'm going to try to come up with a list but I am very bad at this. I don't have a clear enough idea to prioritize. The only one you have that might make my list is Strangelove.

I've been finding it more difficult to make Top Ten Favorites of All Time lately. I have a much easier time if I can just narrow it to one decade, or single years. Plus, it's getting to be many years since I've last rewatched some of my old favorites, so I'm not sure how they would hold up now in my estimation.

My top ten

1.  Citizen Kane (1941)

2.  Dr. Strangelove (1964)

3.  The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

4.  On the Waterfront (1954)

5.  Casablanca (1942)

6.  Paths of Glory (1957)

7.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

8.  The Wild Bunch (1969)

9.  The Conformist (1970)

10.  Raging Bull (1980)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've been finding it more difficult to make Top Ten Favorites of All Time lately. I have a much easier time if I can just narrow it to one decade, or single years. Plus, it's getting to be many years since I've last rewatched some of my old favorites, so I'm not sure how they would hold up now in my estimation.

I understand ... completely. That's why it's so difficult. I would have to exclude foreign films (including England), they would probably dominate the list. It would be best to go by decade and see how many I choose, then try and get it down to 10.

My Personal Favorite Films

1)  Top Hat

2)  Casablanca

3) Vertigo

4) Bringing Up Baby

5) My Favorite Wife

6) The Maltese Falcon (1941)

7) Sunset Boulevard

? Frankenstein

9) Stray Dog (Nora Inu)

10)  It's a Wonderful Life (Tie)

10) An American in Paris

Honorable Mention:

My Man Godfrey

The Thin Man

Father of the Bride (1950)

Holiday (1938)

The Wolf Man

Note: These are my personal favorite movies and I'm sure there are a few in here, which are among the greatest films ever made.

But I'll have to think a little bit longer about the 10 greatest films of all time.

But I don't know if I can compete with Sight and Sound and the AFI. LOL

• Like 1

I could never proclaim what the greatest movies are as if it were fact.  Here are my ten greatest:

1) The Long, Long Trailer

2) Casablanca

3) Singin' in the Rain

4) Gidget

5) Meet Me in St. Louis

6) The Major and the Minor

7) Gilda

8 ) The Brady Bunch Movie

9) Mildred Pierce

10) Gentleman Jim

Honorable Mentions (just a few among a million): Picnic, Viva Las Vegas, Adventures of Robin Hood, All About Eve, Sabrina

• Like 1

Older topic,. but still A BIG THUMBS-UP to you fans out there for replying!!!  Now, WE NEED ANOTHER PETITION DRIVE BY TCM ON SAME SUBJECT, VERY LOOONG OVERDUE & VIRTUALLY ALL OTHERS HAVE COINDYCTED THEIR OWEN & NOW, THEYV ARE DOING IT AGAIN ALREADY???

(EXAMPLES: ew.com, imdb./com, sight and sound, AFI of course, premiere, rotten tomsatoes.com, films of the golden age/classic images & lots of others  Even the local newspaper down here held it's own (*GWTW won) 

please cast your vote on it

THANX

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, Swithin said:
  1. Anthony Adverse
  2. The Dead
  3. Reds
  4. Napoleon (1927)
  5. Maurice
  6. The Age of Innocence (1993)
  7. Tom Jones
  8. A Passage to India
  9. The Grapes of Wrath
  10. Mrs. Miniver

THE DEAD is a short, yet beautiful tribute to IRELAJND!  Mr. Simon Cherpitel; knew one of it's brief cast members  It truly deserved a lot more 1987 *Oscar consideraton, especially that majestic score by the never even won Alex North-(a *J. Huston favorite)

Just now, spence said:

THE DEAD is a short, yet beautiful tribute to IRELAJND!  Mr. Simon Cherpitel; knew one of it's brief cast members  It truly deserved a lot more 1987 *Oscar consideraton, especially that majestic score by the never even won Alex North-(a *J. Huston favorite)

& it has some detractors, I;m not one, but *Beatty's mammoth epic REDS is overall superb filmmaking!!!  I'll always remember though I was just age 17 then, but the vast majority of pundits predicted it would sweep that year & a huge upset took 4 including BP instead *CHARIOTS OF FIRE   For yrs that was always ranked as *Oscars biggest upset, that is until a couple yrs ago when MOONLIGHT upset 6 time winner LA LA LAND!?

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, Bogie56 said:

My top ten

1.  Citizen Kane (1941)

5.  Casablanca (1942)

10.  Raging Bull (1980)

AGREE ON A COUPLE BOGIE!  However as far as personal favorite's go vs. actual greatest  I barely prefer *GFI, but KANE is without peer!  Luckily I got to see it in THE TAMPA THEATRE-(EST: 1926-) -( even fancier than GRAUMAN'S)   Sadly I'll not go back there though-(went 5 times over the years) due to it's new policy of banning the legendary *GWTW now

MNI can't locate a post I write months ago,when *Oscar victor: *SHIRLEY MacLaine-(l934-) on Larry King said her top 4-5 DESERT ISLAND CHOICES or TOP MOVIES SHE'D ALWEAYTS WATCH ON TV

Anyway, I do remember them & in this order-(though was she ever a GP?)

*LAWRENCE OF ARABIA-(utterly magnificent on every level!), INHERIT THE WIND-(to this viewer *Tracy delivers thee single greatest performance by any actor, that he was then very ill even impresses more!), *TERMS OF ENDEARMENT-(she used to call Some Came Running her fav.), HAIRSPRAY-(likely the first version) I WOULD THINK SDHe'D INCLUDE A BIG MUSICAL GIVEN HER DANBCING CAREER, LIKE SINGIN' IN THGE RAIN OR SOMETHING THOUGH?

But, HAIRSPRAY  SHIRLEY???

(P.S. My mother was then the shortest NYC Rockett-(circa 1962-63) at barely 5'3 & though it wasn't a ROCKETT class, she was still in NYC around IRMA LA DOUCE time & in G. Ballanchine ballet class-(though he wasn't there)  Mom said she still had her *THE APARTMENT short hair then though. Maybe she was impressed because she didn't talk about her career or even ask for an autograph

& there she was *SHIRLEY, whom worked out with & nxt to my ma' most of the day!

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, Bogie56 said:

My top ten

1.  Citizen Kane (1941)

5.  Casablanca (1942)

10.  Raging Bull (1980)

On a recent HBO docu on *Spielberg, he said he literally fell in love with cinema after 1st going to see *LAWRENCE...

Faves not greatest...

The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938
The Talk of the Town 1942
The Best Years of Our Lives 1946
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon 1949
Twelve O’Clock High 1949
Executive Suite 1954
Ride the High Country 1962
The Professionals 1966
Bite the Bullet 1975
The Hunt for Red October 1990