SteveQL

titles over the past two days IN ON DEMAND are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox

5 posts in this topic

SD versions of Diplomaniacs (1933) Monkey Business (1931) and other titles over the past two days IN ON DEMAND are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox after intro.  Thus, SD movies do not open to full screen. Senseless to watch.

Will this be or not be resolved and if so when?

SteveQL

On 7/13/2018 at 1:18 AM, SteveQL said:

SD versions of Diplomaniacs (1933) Monkey Business (1931) and other titles over the past two days IN ON DEMAND are squeezed to postage stamp embedded in middle of letterbox after intro.  Thus, SD movies do not open to full screen. Senseless to watch.

Will this be or not be resolved and if so when?

SteveQL

Steve, I don't mean to annoy you, but I caught part of MONKEY BUSINESS (1931) during my TV Providers live broadcast in SD (on both my CRT and HDTV) and aside from normal "pillar-boxing" (vertical black bars on Left and Right of picture) visible on the 16:9 HDTV, the native 4:3 ratio picture was presented as it should be (No "Postage Stamp" picture at my end). (on the 4:3 CRT the picture filled the screen).
I then watched it in it's entirety via WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND with the same satisfactory result as above.

Since I know that when you say ON DEMAND, that you are referring to your TV Providers On-Demand channel, and Not WATCH TCM, I strongly suggest that you direct your query to Comcast, as TCM is apparently not to fault for what you are experiencing this time (or we all would be experiencing it).

Just a suggestion.

But I think you already know that even when TCM is to blame for an issue (as it frequently is), they never directly respond to any of us here (or at least have yet to do so).

Whereas, I believe I have read that Comcast customers sometimes do receive some kind of a response (favorable or not) from Comcast.

Thanks. I've already reported to Comcast.  They are investigating. Already passed from one CSR to another replies:

Thank you for the reply, I have reviewed the examples you provided and see that most of these titles are being offered by other content providers like Sony and Warner Bros via Video on Demand. This leads me to believe that TMC doesn't have the rights to provide these through Video on Demand, but I am going to research further to make sure that is correct.    

Hi Stephan. I'm responding on behalf of Phil. I've sent your examples over to our On Demand support team. They'll review all of these examples and provide answers. I'll let you know once they have something definitive. 

Thanks again.  They too have redesigned their site and its a hassle.

For those who might care! Discovered today 7/17: 'Monkey Business (1931)' HD version has FINALLY been added to TCM ON DEMAND. So both SD and HD versions as with other titles.  Opens to full screen of course with black borders on both sides since 4:3. 

Ranting to my provider may have paid off. What a great surprise!

On 7/17/2018 at 4:34 PM, SteveQL said:

For those who might care! Discovered today 7/17: 'Monkey Business (1931)' HD version has FINALLY been added to TCM ON DEMAND. So both SD and HD versions as with other titles.  Opens to full screen of course with black borders on both sides since 4:3.

Please be more specific when you make such a post, that You are referring to YOUR TV SERVICE PROVIDER'S (COMCAST) On-Demand channel, and NOT WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND!

You never (or rarely) make such an explicit clarification, which can be extremely confusing for many who post and seek answers here, whom automatically assume that posts about and directed to TCM, on TCM's website, about ON DEMAND movies naturally refer to TCM's WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND product (unless a poster explicitly states otherwise). :blink::(

It took me quite awhile to actually learn to interpret your meaning, so I can imagine how confusing it is to others which do not have Comcast as their TV Service Provider (or which do not watch TCM on Comcast's Movies On Demand channels), and are Not experiencing the same problems that you repeatedly post about! :huh::unsure:
As only Comcast customers can verify the varied issues about which you post, and most of them are reporting about that on Comcast's website. :rolleyes:

I am not suggesting that you do not post about such issues here, as I believe anything related to TCM should be openly addressed in TCM's own forums. (I only wish that TCM personnel took as great an interest about what is posted here as the posters do). 
What I am suggesting is that you do so in a clearer, more constructive manner. B)

For example, create a thread titled, "Problems with TCM on Comcast's On-Demand Channels" or some such more explicit title.
Then direct your numerous posts into such a thread (or threads).

That way, TCM board members and readers who come to the Technical Issues, Problems With TCM.com forum, to address their various problems or seek answers/solutions to them, know right up front that posts inside such a thread are associated with Comcast.
Does that make sense? ;)

On 7/17/2018 at 4:34 PM, SteveQL said:

Ranting to my provider may have paid off. What a great surprise!

Indeed, and for you and other Comcast customers it must be a very happy occasion, and I am happy for you as well. :)
But (the proverbial "but") I would be giving Comcast the credit, for "listening" and maybe "responding" to your (and other's) rants that were directed explicitly to them within their own (Comcast) website, for finally bringing about such a happy occasion.... (as I seriously doubt that TCM had anything to do with it!)

Please don't misunderstand me, as I (and numerous others which have been posting here for many years) would truly love to read that any poster here actually received a direct response from TCM regarding any one of our concerns! 

So please provide some "reply" received by you, or Comcast (or from anyone, anywhere), that TCM actually listened and responded in some way to address their woes...
Create a thread about it, so we can all see and read it, i.e. "TCM's reply!" or "TCM's Response!" or "TCM Finally got back with Me!" or some such...

But lacking such confirmation, then I am afraid that all of your "ranting" to TCM here (about your Comcast related issues) was about as productive as "spitting against the wind!"  :(
Trust me, I keep a supply of ready tissue handy to wipe my face after every futile TCM directed post I make here! ;):)