Sign in to follow this  
unclecharlie

Where's Bugs Bunny?

16 posts in this topic

Growing up in the '70's, Bugs Bunny was everywhere -Saturday mornings, weekday mornings before school, weekday afternoons after school. Now I can't find him anywhere. I want to pass along this timeless, classic humor to my son (without buying tons of DVDS). Is it because these cartoons are now considered offensive by the PC police?

If you find him, let me know. :-) He is my all time favorite. Maybe he's still out there somewhere and just "took a wrong turn at Albuquerque! :-) We should also try St. Louis (as in "So long, screwy--see ya in St. Louis!") Or better yet, Florida--"So long Sammy, See ya in Miami" (He IS well past retirement age so this would not be out of the question.) :-)

Seriously, though--I hope you find him. He's a true classic!

Mostly it is a cost factor. TCM didn't or couldn't keep the rights to show as part of Cartoon Alley or filler. I grew up with these on TV and think some channels would be well served by showing them again.

The PC factor is involved in some things. My wife bought me the collection of "Droopy" cartoons and they come with a disclaimer about stereotypes and how they were wrong then as now but were part of the culture.

When my kids were young I taped a lot of these cartoons when they were on TV so they (and I) had something to watch when we got bored. They are still getting used.

> {quote:title=EvilStealth64 wrote:}{quote}

> ...we can't find a dvd collection of WB cartoons either

Don't know where you're looking, but...

Beginning in 2003, Warner Home Video released the critically-acclaimed Looney Tunes Golden Collection box sets, with 60+ restored & remastered toons in each...

[Looney Tunes Golden Collections Vol. 1 - 5|http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/DVDvideo/]

[Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 6|http://reviews.goldenagecartoons.com/2008/ltgc6/]

They're available in stores, and at virtually every on-line retailer. Vol. 6 is reportedly the last in this series, but WHV has indicated that additional LT/MM collections will be released in a new format(s).

When I was a kid, Bugs Bunny was on TV all the time. I really miss it. Everyone is talking about Bugs not being politically correct, but at least half the cartoons on the air nowadays are about kids who fake illness to get out of school, or who don't want to do their homework..... I can't wait to see how this affects our future.....Bugs Bunny looks so harmless compared to some of this stuff.....

Luckily, Cartoon network still shows Tom and Jerry during the noon hour.

I finally just gave in and got the 1st and 2nd Golden boxes for my daughter, and she LOVES them. Her favorites are Rabbit Seasoning, Baseball Bugs and Bully for Bugs. She always yells for me to come watch the part where the Bull goes sliding across the bullring on axle-grease. She knows I like it. My daughter has a mantra now that she chants along with the cartoon - it goes: "axle-grease - ramp - glue -sandpaper - match - GUNPOWDER!!!!!!"

"What a Gulli-bull." What a Nin-cow-poop." are now her favorite catch phrases......

She also loves Book Revue. She finds Daffy Duck's impersonation of Danny Kaye to be hilarious, though she had never seen Danny Kaye before! I finally got to show her some Danny Kaye movies recently and she liked them, but then immediately wanted to watch Book Revue afterwards.

I personally like the side characters the best - "Feed The Kitty", with that big loveable dog Marc Antony and his pet kitten; Ralph Philips, the dreamy little boy; and I love, love, love "Bugs Bunny Gets da Boid" with the little vulture who cannot bring home a rabbit for his Russian mama.

I realize I have gone on long enough, but I could mention many many more favorites here.... so I'll go back to the start - why is the most popular cartoon character ever created not on TV? Maybe Smellivision DID replace telivision.......

Of course you know ..... this means WAR!

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> She also loves *Book Revue*. She finds Daffy Duck's impersonation of Danny Kaye to be hilarious, though she had never seen Danny Kaye before! I finally got to show her some Danny Kaye movies recently and she liked them, but then immediately wanted to watch Book Revue afterwards.

GREAT cartoon. Maybe my favorite Daffy Duck.

I also love - "Little Red Riding Rabbit" (Bugs Bunny).

I love the Daffy in Book Revue as well. He is more manic and I love how they skew the perspective when he is dancing......

Red Riding Rabbit is absolutely great! One of the absolute classics. "HEY, GRANNNNMA!!!!!!!" It was outrageous to actually make fun of the sickly sweet fairy tales Disney was putting out at the same time.....or maybe not make fun of Disney, but to become the Anti-Disney. I like the Bugs of this time period the best, he is very subversive....

Which reminds me of another one of my daughter's favorites - *Wabbit Twouble*. This is the one where Elmer (looking very fat) tries to get some "west and welaxation" in Jellostone Park. This one is so early, and I thought she would not like it, but she really loves it. I like the credits, which are written in Fudd....... :)

Bugs Bunny is the most popular character among baby boomers. But for folks born after 1970, he's not the most popular. Unfortunately, our pop culture merchants want to cater more to the folks born after 1970.

I too miss the great Bugs Bunny (and clan) cartoons, which were mainly geared toward "older" people viewing in the theaters between movies. Be that as it may... you can find many of these classics on youtube, also some wonderful Tex Avery cartoons from MGM. Hope you find what you're looking for.

ah,whatsup doc?

but I think,

ahhh SHUT UUUPPA!!! is my fav BB/MEL BLANC/line,

but one politically incorrect now!

I saw a newer BB just awhil ago-cartoon network maybe-lazyily animated and a sanatisied plot-

boring but ya gotta love bugs-wonder why they dont have a BugsBunny world, what a riot/DaffyDuck/mmmm....id rather meet bugs than mickey any day

How about Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears, with the Archie Bunker type Poppa, the Edith like Momma, and the very dim wit son. Bea Benederet does mom's voice, while Mel Blanc does the rest, I guess. Favorite line, as the bears are about to break down the door, Pop bellows, "NOW DON'T FORGET YOUR LINES!!!"

The Three Bears cartoons do not have any voice characterizations by Mel Blanc (with the exception of BUGS BUNNY & THE THREE BEARS).

Papa bear is voiced by Billy Bletcher (the voice of Disney's Big Bad Wolf), and Junior is voiced by Stan Freberg.

Bug's voice plus most of the other Looney Tunes lives on in Noah Blanc Mels son A smart guy who has an empire selling art stillls from WB called Animation Art He airs his radio ads and interviews in Cleveland doing the voices Amazing that the talent and inflection could be passed on.

burgess