Sign in to follow this  
metz44

name the movie

5,501 posts in this topic

YES that's it!

Ever heard of it?

As I said, it's pretty obscure, at least in this country. I saw it several times back in the mid-to-late 1970's when a local Boston station had a package of similar little-known British B-movies. They were going to lose the rights at a certain date and did something unusual to get all the rest of their runs out of the films - they ran them all about every two weeks for the last couple of months before losing them. Even way back then I had a feeling I may never see these strange little obscurities again so watched them again every time I could during that period. And sure enough I still have never seen any of them anywhere on TV since then!

One of them was ASSASSIN FOR HIRE (1951) starring Sydney Tafler and Ronald Howard. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done for a such a modest production and had an interesting twist. Even though Tafler played a ruthless assassin for whom we should have no sympathy his devotion to his musician brother was touching and at the end when the police trick him into believing he has killed his own brother his heartbreak was so real that I actually felt sorry for him.

So.....has anyone else ever seen it?

Musical as you know I lived in the Boston area at the time you've cited the film was shown on tv. Unfortunately, can't say I remember it. You know, Leslie Howard's son, Ronald, does have impressive film credits, including the wonderful *Browning Version* . I'd really like to see *Assassin For Hire*, wish TCM would show it if possible.

next:

A boy notices a story in a magazine that has consequences for his neighbors.

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:

> }{quote}next:

>

> A boy notices a story in a magazine that has consequences for his neighbors.

There may be more than one, but it happened in TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY (1951) (shown on TCM last week).

Bingo! - *A Woman of Affairs* - I love this film. One of my favorite silent films. Garbo, Johnny Mack Brown, John Gilbert, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Lewis Stone. glad you know the film, Hibi. :) It's your thread.

Now I have 3 threads to deal with! :( I love the film too. One of my favorite Garbo films.......

Sticking with Garbo, Garbo could have starred in a Hitchcock film had she wanted to. What was the film?

This film is the next to last film the star was in. She loves her mother, but the man who we think is her father throughout the film cannot get along with her. When she refuses to marry the man he has announced in the newspapers,is her fiance, the father tells her he will never speak to her again. The father has only made this arrangement for business reasons.

*Call Her Savage* is the film. Clara Bow's next to last film. I have a tape of the film and watch it every so often. Such an interesting film. Good work, your thread.Hibi

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Jan 31, 2013 6:51 AM

This film involves a train and some mistaken identities......(I know this is vague, but I'll add clues)...

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, what sci-fi characters are supposedly engraved on the walls of the snake pit when Indiana Jones and Sallah are carrying the Ark of the Covenant?