Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

The Up Documentaries

4 posts in this topic

This is the series of documentary films started in 1964 about a group of British children interviewed at age 7 and they have continued to be interviewed every 7 years. The first was 7 Up, then all the way up to 56 Up which is the latest installment. Michael Apted has been the director for all except the first one. 63 Up is due to come out in 2019. 

They are my favorite docs of all time. It is fascinating to see the children literally grow up before your eyes, as each installment shows a small piece of the prior years while the current film shows them interviewed at length for the present year.

I like all the subjects and look forward to see how they are doing. My favorites are:

Tony-a scrappy little East Ender who wanted to be a jockey but seemed satisfied becoming a taxi driver.

Suzy-a private school girl of divorced parents, she become bitter and cynical in the 14 and 21 years, but became a loving wife and mother at 28.

Neil-a cheerful Liverpool lad at 7, he become lost and depressed at 21 to 35, seemed to find some stability as a local politician.

Does anyone else like these? 

• Like 1

I've seen them up through 35 Up. I really liked them. I hope to see the others eventually, but I'd probably need to re-watch the earlier ones to refresh my memory. I haven't seen any of them in over 25 years.

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've seen them up through 35 Up. I really liked them. I hope to see the others eventually, but I'd probably need to re-watch the earlier ones to refresh my memory. I haven't seen any of them in over 25 years.

35 up was one of the sadder chapters, some of their parents were passing away and marriages were breaking up.

Who are are some of your favorites of the subjects interviewed?

23 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

35 up was one of the sadder chapters, some of their parents were passing away and marriages were breaking up.

Who are are some of your favorites of the subjects interviewed?

Like I said, it's been a long time, and the details are hazy. I recall the cab driver that you mentioned. I also seem to recall one guy that descended into either drug addiction or severe depression.