Sign in to follow this  
ccbaxter

Jacques Tati

96 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> I'm sorry I missed the beginning; did he get the mail delivered the first day? I kept wondering!?

I don't know... he seemed to be in a perpetual state of catch-up.

I just want to convey thanks to the TCM programmers for the very enjoyable Tati films last night. Afterwards, I spoke on the phone with a friend who also watched the entire line up and we had great fun comparing notes on the films.

Merci beaucoup, TCM. :)

> {quote:title=ccbaxter wrote:}{quote}

> I just want to convey thanks to the TCM programmers for the very enjoyable Tati films last night. Afterwards, I spoke on the phone with a friend who also watched the entire line up and we had great fun comparing notes on the films.

>

> Merci beaucoup, TCM. :)

No gang, it wasn't me; could've been Fran K.

The series is one of the most unique. You can watch Tati change from jokes that are obvious (the Keystone cops race for his bicycle in Jour De Fete) to the inside jokes for the most alert viewer in Playtime. He learned to play his stories on many different levels that I enjoy. Laurel and Hardy did that big time if you watch them for nuance.

Message was edited by: Kubelik2800

RO's intro to Playtime surprised me. First, he erroneously stated that the film to be seen was the original 145 minute version, but it wasn't.

More important, he said that the movie represented a "version and vision of a future Paris, a city with all kinds of modern marvels, buildings made of glass and steel, everything very mechanical and efficient." The trouble is that he said this without a hint of irony and it comes across as if Tati's "vision" is some kind of utopia. But actually this was a soon-to-be Paris that Tati deplores. When the troop of tourists are filing in the Trade Show, Barbara positions the swinging door so that it shows a reflection of the Eiffel Tower. This happens two or three times during the film. Tati is winking at us, saying that this what tourists should really be interested in, the old traditional landmarks, not some newfangled modern Trade Show where they might buy some silly wastepaper basket based on a Greek theme.

It's a good thing that whoever wrote that intro stopped right there. Otherwise, he might have gone to say that the movie shows the ideal way a restaurant should be run. ;)

I wish this was photographed better. But thought I'd share it anyway.

mon_oncle

(Click Through For Larger Version)

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------------

Oohh, I had a little squirrel and his name was Pat.

I saw him in the park and caught him in my hat.

And this little critter, I'll tell you what he'd do.

He'd bring me acorns...

...and nuts to you.

*F. McGee*

Rediscovering Tati was just sublime. I unfortunately fell asleep right when PLAYTIME came on, but caught the first three. I can't say which is my favorite because I loved them all! The music adds so much, I just loved the "jaunty" score in JDF and the mellow jazzy tunes in MHH and MON ONCLE.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

This is completely random and weird, but...

Today I was driving down the freeway and I was looking at the cars around me. One, car surprised me so much.

It was this little old Subaru or something. Driving it was Jacques Tati! Well, an exact duplicate! He sat slightly hunched over, with a rather whimsical expression on his face. And he had a hat just like Tati in *"M. Hulot's Holiday"* ! All that was missing was the pipe. It seriously looked exactly like Tati!

It was the weirdest thing!

Hahaha, sorry just had to share it...it was just too funny!

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

> It was this little old Subaru or something. Driving it was Jacques Tati! Well, an exact duplicate! He sat slightly hunched over, with a rather whimsical expression on his face. And he had a hat just like Tati in *"M. Hulot's Holiday"* ! All that was missing was the pipe...

That was me. I gave up pipe smoking, but I won't give up my sputtering Subaru. If I would have known it was you, I would have waved.

I think Jacques Tati is the only movie star that

I wish I could emulate in real life. Partly this

is due to the fundamentally realistic nature of

his character and films. He is one of my favorites

and profoundly entertaining.

Wouldn't it be fun to visit Paris dressed as Tati? I mean, with Paris fashion being what it is, a guy could easily have a riot running around with the whole thing. I've driven a Smart car, maybe you could rent one of those for the duration. And don't forget the pipe. You don't even have to light it.

"Are there still a lot of people in Paris who remember..."

I hope there are, he is one of those rare directors who

is universally appealing and throughly French at the same time.

I would hope they treasure his body of work.

> {quote:title=studio139 wrote:}{quote}

> I think Jacques Tati is the only movie star that

> I wish I could emulate in real life. Partly this

> is due to the fundamentally realistic nature of

> his character and films. He is one of my favorites

> and profoundly entertaining.

I agree. His style was sweet quirky, not bizarre quirky. He would be better than say, Mr. Bean in London! BTW- I have seen Rowan Atkinson in London. He does not act like Mr. Bean. His public demeanor does remind you of Blackadder in contemporary dress.

> {quote:title=ccbaxter wrote:}{quote}

> That was me. I gave up pipe smoking, but I won't give up my sputtering Subaru. If I would have known it was you, I would have waved.

Oh, that was you ? That explains it all.

Maybe TCM message boarders should put there screen name on the back of their car so we can all identify each other... ;-)

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> You are not the only one.

>

> There have been other sightings.

>

> TATI LIVES!

This seriously made me laugh out loud, Laffite!

Do tell about other sightings.

Maybe this could be compiled in a book...like Bigfoot sightings are.

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

> Maybe TCM message boarders should put there screen name on the back of their car so we can all identify each other... ;-)

Well I would hate to think what might happen if two forum members who don't like each other should... oh, never mind. That could never happen. ;)