Princess of Tap

Nancy Sinatra Sr Dies At 101

25 posts in this topic

Frank Sinatra's first wife, Nancy Barbato Sinatra died Friday night at 101.

Nancy married Frank in 1939; they were divorced in 1951.

They had three children together: Nancy Jr, (1940), Frank Jr (1944) and Tina (1948). Frank Jr died in 2016.

Nancy never remarried, but was the social partner of famed Hollywood producer Ross Hunter.

Nancy Sinatra Jr announced her mother's death on Twitter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Truly never heard much about her over the years.  I thought too, that she probably died MANY years ago.

My condolences to her familial survivors and other close loved ones.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

I read in a Barbara Stanwyck bio that she and Nancy Sr became best friends.

Nancy was with her when she died.

According to this biographer, they became lifelong friends over having a common enemy: Ava Gardner.

I suppose Ira could have written "The Man That Got Away" for both of them--

" Ever since this world began

There is nothing sadder than   

A one-man woman

Looking for the man that got away"

Ironically Barbara and Ava died a few days apart in January of 1990:

Barbara on January 20 and Ava on January 25.

14 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

According to this biographer, they became lifelong friends over having a common enemy: Ava Gardner.

A one-man woman

Is it known why Barbara didn’t like Ava?

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Is it known why Barbara didn’t like Ava?

The same reason that Nancy didn't like her.

I'm not a Bob Taylor fan, but apparently he got around Metro with Lana Turner and Ava Gardner and others.

In the late 30s Barbara and Bob were living together and Louis B Mayer,  who had Bob under contract, gave him an ultimatum after some bad publicity about movie stars living together in a movie magazine article.

Since I am a fan of Clark Gable, I can certainly tell you that Gable was given the same ultimatum about his relationship with Carole Lombard--marry her or leave her.

I don't know Bob Taylor's situation, but Clark had an estranged  second wife and he did not want to lose a lot of money to her in a divorce.. Gable was known for being parsimonious. But in the end,  he gave in.

So if not for that article, I don't know if those two couples would have ever gotten married or not.

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Since I am a fan of Clark Gable, I can certainly tell you that Gable was given the same ultimatum about his relationship with Carole Lombard--marry her or leave her.

I don't know Bob Taylor's situation, but Clark had an estranged  second wife and he did not want to lose a lot of money to her in a divorce.. Gable was known for being parsimonious. But in the end,  he gave in.

So if not for that article, I don't know if those two couples would have ever gotten married or not.

Maybe had Carole Lombard lived, Gable and Lombard would have eventually separated. However, I will tell you that there seem to be two Gables on screen - the one before Lombard died and the one afterwards. The one before Lombard died always had a twinkle in his eyes. The one after Lombard died just didn't seem to have his heart in his acting.

Some quotes of Gable on Lombard:

You can trust that little screwball with your life or your hopes or your weaknesses, and she wouldn’t even know how to think about letting you down. She’s more fun than anybody, but she’ll take a poke at you if you have it coming and make you like it. If that adds up to love, then I love her.” (Carole Lombard)

“Yes, I’ve been known to like ladies…and I do. But with her, it’s different. Everything about her is different than with any other gal.” (Carole Lombard)

“It was a perfect thing. I never expect to find it again.” (on his marriage to Carole Lombard)

“Did you ever seen anyone more beautiful? There was never a person in this world who was so generous, so full of fun. God damn it, why Ma?”(Carole Lombard)

“I saw so much in the way of death and destruction that I realized that I hadn’t been singled out for grief–that others were suffering and losing their loved ones just as I lost Ma.” (after returning from war, about Carole Lombard)

“Sometimes I wonder how she’d take things the way they are today, and I always come up with the same answer–with a laugh. She’d get through it better than me.” (Carole Lombard)

There were quotes there about his other wives, but they seemed more respectful and practical than loving. You're the Gable fan, so maybe you know something I don't, but from what I've always heard Gable did want to marry Lombard, it was just a matter of the money he would have to pay Ria to get out of the marriage.

• Like 1

My sister and I thank you all for your very thoughtful messages of condolence. Our mother was a fighter until the end when her brave, loving heart gave out. She is survived by her sister, her daughters, her grandchildren and her great grandchildren. She made a difference.

DiEqxMqVMAE_bB1.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jakeem said:

My sister and I thank you all for your very thoughtful messages of condolence. Our mother was a fighter until the end when her brave, loving heart gave out. She is survived by her sister, her daughters, her grandchildren and her great grandchildren. She made a difference.

DiEqxMqVMAE_bB1.jpg

Nancy was truly beautiful inside and outside to the end.

• Like 2

TO ALL, I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS MORE-(it's among my overall top 3 to 5 most valuable dvd's & was aired first on HBO FRANK SINATRA: ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL (2015)

It shows tons of her & she was no fan of AVA!!!  Plus, he made things worse for future wives & ladies, *THE CHAIRMAN always kept a large portrait of AVA GARNER in his living room, no matter what in his Palm Springs spread-(TRIVIA: Fans can spend the night there for almost $2 grand)

& each & evertime he'd find a new lady Ava would call & remind him "FRANCIS, NO MATTER WHAT I'LL ALWAYS BE THE BEST" unquote

13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Nancy was truly beautiful inside and outside to the end.

MARVELOUS SHOT & I THANK YOU, AS DO OTHERS I SUSPECT

SJHE CERTAINLY OUTLIVED AVA THOUGH, HUH

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spence said:

MARVELOUS SHOT & I THANK YOU, AS DO OTHERS I SUSPECT

SJHE CERTAINLY OUTLIVED AVA THOUGH, HUH

Nancy outlived everybody--

Frank,

Frank jr., 

Peter Lawford and his wife, 

Sammy Davis jr. and his wife,

Dean Martin and his wife,

Joey Bishop and his wife,

her social pal Ross Hunter

and her beloved friend, Barbara Stanwyck.

• Like 1

& yet a 3 time *Oscar loser is still alive & going on age 102   WHERE IS THE SO-CALLED KARMA FOLKS???

On 7/14/2018 at 11:44 PM, Princess of Tap said:

A one-man woman

LOL. Yes, they were good friends. Nancy wrote a blurb on the recent Stanwyck biography. Yes, I remember they died in the same week and I was a bit miffed Ava got the People cover, not Barbara!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 6:15 AM, Princess of Tap said:

" Keep Audrey Hepburn, Keep Liz Taylor

Nancy's the feature, they're just the trailer

No Angel could replace Nancy, with the laughing face"

Weren those lyrics directed to Nancy Jr.?

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Weren those lyrics directed to Nancy jr?

Actually those are not the original lyrics at all. Those are the 1960's lyrics that I know.

And Actually the song was originally written for another woman.

However, The song was directed to Sinatra and his daughter because the songwriters wanted him to sing it. LOL

I posted those lyrics in there because I thought they were also a beautiful description of what Nancy Sr was too.

And I'm sure Nancy Jr wouldn't object.

Hibi, Since you know the song so well, maybe you can give us the original lyrics.

23 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Actually those are not the original lyrics at all. Those are the 1960's lyrics that I know.

And Actually the song was originally written for another woman.

However, The song was directed to Sinatra and his daughter because the songwriters wanted him to sing it. LOL

I posted those lyrics in there because I thought they were also a beautiful description of what Nancy Sr was too.

And I'm sure Nancy Jr wouldn't object.

Hibi, Since you know the song so well, maybe you can give us the original lyrics.

No, I dont remember them. I know they reworked them (obviously) for his later recording of it.

Just now, Hibi said:

No, I dont remember them. I know they reworked them (obviously) for his later recording of it.

It's such a beautiful song. Sinatra first used the 1960s lyric on his "Sinatra's Sinatra" Reprise record album.

I can remember reading the original lyrics on the album jacket. The commentary made a big deal about how the new lyrics with these current female movie stars fit in perfectly with the rhythm of the original lyrics.

The only thing I remember about them is that they mentioned three actresses: Betty Grable, Lana Turner, and I really think Ava Gardner too, but I'm not sure about that.

I have never heard the original recording by Frank, so now I'm going to go and listen to it.