Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

John Landis

8 posts in this topic

The director of NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE (1978), THE BLUES BROTHERS (1980), TRADING PLACES (1983) and COMING TO AMERICA (1988) will join TCM's Ben Mankiewicz on October 30 to introduce a night of his picks. This gives Landis the distinction of being the first repeat guest programmer in the history of this TCM franchise. Landis was previously a guest programmer alongside Robert Osborne in March 2009. 

This time around, Landis has picked an eclectic lineup of films and shorts:

Image result for the monster and the girl 1941

Related image

Image result for laurel and hardy towed in a hole

Image result for paths of glory

Image result for it's a gift 1934

• Thanks 1

I prefer to think of John Landis as the director of An American Werewolf in LondonThree Amigos, and The Kentucky Fried Movie. But that's neither here nor there.

He was most likely chosen for late October due to his direction of that first movie I mentioned, as well as Michael Jackson's "Thriller" music video.

45 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I prefer to think of John Landis as the director of An American Werewolf in LondonThree Amigos, and The Kentucky Fried Movie. But that's neither here nor there.

He was most likely chosen for late October due to his direction of that first movie I mentioned, as well as Michael Jackson's "Thriller" music video.

I agree. All those 80s classics.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:42 AM, Barton_Keyes said:

The director of NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE (1978), THE BLUES BROTHERS (1980), TRADING PLACES (1983) and COMING TO AMERICA (1988) will join TCM's Ben Mankiewicz on October 30 to introduce a night of his picks. This gives Landis the distinction of being the first repeat guest programmer in the history of this TCM franchise. Landis was previously a guest programmer alongside Robert Osborne in March 2009. 

This time around, Landis has picked an eclectic lineup of films and shorts:

Image result for the monster and the girl 1941

Related image

Image result for laurel and hardy towed in a hole

Image result for paths of glory

Image result for it's a gift 1934

These films are now off the schedule. In place of the guest programmer on the 30th, TCM is instead doing a night of Bowery Boys Horror.

If Landis is rescheduled for November or a later month, I wonder if his selections will change.

17 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

These films are now off the schedule. In place of the guest programmer on the 30th, TCM is instead doing a night of Bowery Boys Horror.

If Landis is rescheduled for November or a later month, I wonder if his selections will change.

Universal issues permitting, It's a Gift will probably show up, as Landis has a favorite attachment to that movie.

As noted by the talking turtle in Landis's "Three Amigos" being credited to one Carl LaFong.  (Did I spell that correctly?--Capital L, small A...)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

Universal issues permitting, It's a Gift will probably show up, as Landis has a favorite attachment to that movie.

As noted by the talking turtle in Landis's "Three Amigos" being credited to one Carl LaFong.  (Did I spell that correctly?--Capital L, small A...)

Yeah, I think IT'S A GIFT will still be shown. The programmers like that one. But since Landis will not be screening his selections in October, I can see the first choice, a horror film, being dropped. I'm not sure if THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL has ever aired on TCM before.

It looks like John Landis will now be Guest Programmer on the 10th of December. All the titles mentioned in Barton's original post will still be presented.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, TopBilled said:

It looks like John Landis will now be Guest Programmer on the 10th of December. All the titles mentioned in Barton's original post will still be presented.

Thanks, I will edit my original post to reflect this.

• Thanks 1