Sign in to follow this  
Robstaff

Solved! Please help ID foreign kidnapping movie.

11 posts in this topic

B & W, foreign film, wife convinces her dufuss husband to kidnap some kid. I think he puts the kid in the trunk of the car at some point. That’s all I remember.

I’m trying to follow leads I have in my own brain to locate other movies I’m trying to find. I know I saw this kidnapping movie right at around the same time I saw another one I’ve REALLY been looking for (which has now been solved). I don’t think this kidnapping one ends with the villain being shot dead while he is in one of those little gondolas moving dirt out to sea, but it may help me figure something out. 

NOTE!! (Edited July 25th) The dead guy in the gondola mystery movie HAS BEEN SOLVED!! Get Carter (1971) was the elusive culprit, apprehended after a several year spree of wreaking havoc in my brain.

I watched Blow-Up (1966) and this kidnapping movie right around the same time I saw the shot guy, dirt gondola movie I’ve really been looking for.

These are frustrating...I'm pretty sure that I've seen both this kidnapping movie, and the one you describe about the guy getting dumped out of a conveyor-bucket on the beach, but I can't recall the name of either movie, or any other details. 

Yes, very frustrating! I have kind of suspected that when TCM played these films it might have been kind of an amateur hour type of situation where they aired a few not very well known movies. Those are often some of the one I enjoy the most, sometimes just for the cool scenery! Thanks!

It's not foreign (well to me, anyhow) & I'm sure that there are several foreign films that may fit the kidnapping scenario - I do find myself thinking that this might have been Séance on a Wet Afternoon.

MV5BMzNmYjEzOGYtYzRkNy00N2VmLTg0YzQtOWQ3

• Thanks 1

Is the movie in which the last remaining bad guy is killed and then dumped from a conveyor bucket into the sea at the beach, Get Carter (1971) with Michael Caine?

3 hours ago, RHodnett said:

Is the movie in which the last remaining bad guy is killed and then dumped from a conveyor bucket into the sea at the beach, Get Carter (1971) with Michael Caine?

Yes, as was noted in the companion thread, "SOLVED! CAN ANYONE ID A (VILLAIN SHOT IN SMALL DIRT HAULING GONDOLA) MOVIE???"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RHodnett said:

Yes it was, thanks. That ending just really struck me though as being a great way to end a movie like that, creepy, strange, bizarre, different. That ending kinda leaves you with a weird feeling, which is probably why, after the fact, the movie kept haunting me, and of course I had forgotten what it was. That “gondolal” scene just kept haunting me for YEARS!!

8 hours ago, RHodnett said:

Sorry for the confusion on that. After the Get Carter mystery had been solved I should have edited this original post, which I will do right now, to say that the Get Carter thing had been solved. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

For those interested, bytheway, the movie doesn't end with Carter dumping the body of his brother's killer, and corrupter of his daughter into the gondola.  As he walks along the beach returning to his car, he's killed by a sniper sent by a mobster who had been framed earlier for murder by Carter--in a most shocking manner.  So it's a real downer all around.  Shot in B/W in the fifties, it'd make a decent film noir.

5 hours ago, slaytonf said:

For those interested, bytheway, the movie doesn't end with Carter dumping the body of his brother's killer, and corrupter of his daughter into the gondola.  As he walks along the beach returning to his car, he's killed by a sniper sent by a mobster who had been framed earlier for murder by Carter--in a most shocking manner.  So it's a real downer all around.  Shot in B/W in the fifties, it'd make a decent film noir.

Yes, and that's another part of the movie that was so haunting and made it really stand out (to me anyway). Something about the way that movie ends really has a haunting feel to it. It's a great ending as far as that goes (two cents)!

• Like 1