Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Hello, Norma Jean!

798 posts in this topic

Since the devil finds plenty for idle hands to do...I guess I'll create another thread. ;) A sort

of "playhouse" about all things Blondle (that's Marilyn Monroe). Not to take anything away

from the thread of wonderful pictures in "Hot Topics", but that one tends to get pushed off to

the second page almost daily and because Marilyn definitely is one of my "Favorites", I'll use this

thread to post little quotes about and by her (she could be very funny) as well as pictures or

YouTube clips. Everyone is welcome to contribute what they like and share what are their favorite

Monroe movies. It's all in fun and definitely not a shrine.

 

Thanks ever so! ;)

 

animated-kissonTV.gif

 

Favorite MM screen performances:

 

 

10. "Amanda" in *Let's Make Love*

9. "Rose" in *Niagara*

8. "Pola" in *How To Marry a Millionaire*

7. "Angela" in *The Asphalt Jungle*

6. "Lorelei Lee" in *Gentlemen Prefer Blondes*

5. "Cherie" in *Bus Stop*

4. "Elsie Marina" in *The Prince and the Showgirl*

3. "Peggy" in *Clash by Night*

2. "Nell" in *Don't Bother to Knock*

1. "Roslyn" in *The Misfits*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ken123 wrote:}{quote}

> Marilyn - whose is that ? hehehehehehehe

 

"Now, Kenneth, don't tell me you forgot all about me after taking up with that

_brunette_, Joan Bennett? Boo hoo!"

 

dontbothertoknock2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MissG

 

No accident, I assume, that you should start this thread on such a day. ;)

 

My favorite Marilyn is The Misfits as well.

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*No accident, I assume, that you should start this thread on such a day.*

 

:0 :0 :0

 

Oh my goodness! It was accidental! I mean I totally had no thought in my head (as usual)

about what happened in the early hours of August 5th forty-six years ago! Honestly, I had been

mulling about starting a thread on her for a while and just decided to get it up and let it develop

as it may.

 

Thank you for the reminder we are upon the anniversary of the night we lost her.

 

But let's not be sad.

 

My favorite Marilyn is The Misfits as well.

 

I have lots of images from this one to share. it's my third favorite movie of all time

and in no small way Marilyn is a big reason why. I watched it again for the millionth

time last night. There are some nights it's the only movie that will do. :)

 

Animated-Misfits.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite Marilyn film has always been Niagara. When I first saw the movie, the scene of those brown and white shoes, behind the Falls in the mist, stuck in my head for days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*MissGoddess wrote:*

*Favorite MM screen performances:*

 

*10. "Amanda" in Let's Make Love*

*9. "Rose" in Niagara*

*8. "Pola" in How To Marry a Millionaire*

*7. "Angela" in The Asphalt Jungle*

*6. "Lorelei Lee" in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes*

*5. "Cherie" in Bus Stop*

*4. "Elsie Marina" in The Prince and the Showgirl*

*3. "Peggy" in Clash by Night*

*2. "Nell" in Don't Bother to Knock*

*1. "Roslyn" in The Misfits*

 

Of your choices I haven't seen *Let's Make Love, The Prince and the Showgirl* or *The Misfits.*

 

I really like her in HTMAM, and GPB. I always come back to her "Rose" in *Niagra* and her "Peggy" in *Clash By Night.* I've watched those films many times. I have had *The Misfits* for years but I never seem to be in the mood to watch it. I can't really explain it, but I always find an excuse to watch something else. It's like it has a veil of depression hanging over it or something. Yet I watch depressing movies all the time so that doesn't make sense. I guess I'll have to finally give it a try since such illustrious personages as you and Laffite say it's your favorite role of hers. :) As for it being one of your favorite films of all time!!!, well now I must watch it to see what I've been missing all these years.

 

What do you think of her with Mitchum in *River of No Return?* I see it didn't make your list. It's been a long time since I've seen that one. Mitchum and Monroe hmmm....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Jenetico wrote:}{quote}

> My favorite Marilyn film has always been Niagara. When I first saw the movie, the scene of those brown and white shoes, behind the Falls in the mist, stuck in my head for days.

 

Hi Jenetico! The movie has several striking images and motifs. It's been at least two years

since I watched it, but I remember when I used to play it over and over. It has a lot going for it,

and the location shooting makes it really unusual for a story like this. Talk about a "honeymoon

gone wrong!"

 

Niagara01.jpg?t=1217888616

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Molo! Nice to see you here at "Blondle's". ;)

 

You are very "precient" because *The Misfits* does have a misty veil of melancholy about it. It

is like *Lonely Are the Brave*, a movie about people who have been passed by in life one way

or another, or who have no real "place". They drift, and drifting has brought them together, like

a pile of leaves. It's my favorite John Huston movie because, like *The Night of the Iguana*, he

has managed, magically, to depict people's insides through the ambience as much as the

performances. Nothing excites me more than 'character' and this movie is all about that, yet

the Nevada locations are just as important, they are the perfect setting. It is my third favorite

film of all time, however, for the way the story and characters resonate with me personally, not

because of any other criteria. You may not like it.

 

However, I think you may enjoy her in *Prince and the Showgirl*, a movie that doesn't get

nearly enough credit. I think it's the movie in which she looks her most beautiful, and that

is saying alot. Her comedy skills are also utilized to their fullest extent, I think, because

she's reacting to so many different situations and characters for the first time. I'd love to

know what you think of it. It's not easy to outshine an outstanding personage like Olivier,

but I think she does it. ;) I can't think why TCM doesn't show it more often.

 

I do like *River of No Return* as a movie over-all, I just don't rank Marilyn's performance up there

with the others. She is best, I think, in the brief moments she shares with the little boy. Marilyn

had a way with children, I believe, and she really is very sweet with Tommy Retig. I also love the

songs she sings---I have always liked the quality of her voice and I sing her songs all the time for

pleasure. I don't think Marilyn had much chemistry with Bob Mitchum, though. That's too bad,

really, because they are both such favorites of mine.

 

Marilyn with *Rory Calhoun* (who also appears in How to Marry a Millionaire) in River

of No Return

RiverofNoReturn2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The audio is a bit "off" on this clip, but I wanted to post this link to one of my favorite interviews

by the press with Marilyn. I think it shows her wit and charm as well as her relative composure

in a hectic situation:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laffite wrote:

>My favorite Marilyn is The Misfits as well.

 

I don?t why I said this. I think I felt I had to say something else besides the reminder of the date. Although It?s my favorite dramatic role, I think. It?s better than Don?t Bother to Knock, only because she has more to do and she has a maturity in Misfits that she didn?t in the earlier film. But I liked the latter very much too. And what about Bus Stop. That was a dramatic role. Look how good she is in that. I?ve never been able to come up with a favorite Marilyn. I?ve tried to separate her dramatic roles with her comedic roles. But it doesn?t help. I can?t make up my mind about her except that I like her in just about everything I?ve seen. The two biggies that have escaped me so far is Let?s Make Love and How to Marry a Millionaire. The fact is, that despite her many troubles on the set, not remembering lines, the pills, the not showing up, the many reshoots, the emotional problems, etc., the finished products, the Marilyn we see on screen, is almost without exception, a convincing portrayal. Her excellence on screen belies any of those problems. I don?t think I can think of anything she did that I?ve seen where she is bad. I?ll never know what my favorite Marilyn is. Maybe that?s good.

 

Miss Goddess writes:

>Oh my goodness! It was accidental!

 

You are in tune with the universe. That?s why you?re a Goddess. ;)

 

>but let's not be sad

 

No sadness on this thread, I promise. But it?s difficult sometimes. Marilyn elicits this in me. I even get a pang just watching those little vids you?ve posted. But I?m okay when I watch her movies?and I?ll be okay here too. See: :):):):):):):) no sad.

 

>I do like River of No Return as a movie over-all, I just don't rank Marilyn's performance up there with the others.

 

Maybe this is the one that pleases me the least. I don?t know why they put her in a film like this. She supposed to be a tough girl and I?m sure they made her modulate her voice to a lower register but it didn?t work for me. They were probably worried about her breathy whisper and with good reason. It wouldn't have worked here. I don?t remember too much about it but I don't remember being overly impressed (though she's singing the title song in my brain right now, weep-weep-weep)

 

Molo writes:

>I have had The Misfits for years but I never seem to be in the mood to watch it. I can't really explain it, but I always find an excuse to watch something else. It's like it has a veil of depression hanging over it or something. Yet I watch depressing movies all the time so that doesn't make sense.

 

Hi Molo. Depression because it was her last film? Or the story? Anyway you?re reluctance does make sense, at least to me. I do that. There are some movies I keep pushing away and I don?t know why. But you needn?t be afraid of The Misfits. She is wonderful. There is a precision to her acting that makes her very convincing. She is a real person. Need I tell you how beautiful? Especially in the early going before she becomes a ?cowboy.? We first see her applying makeup trying to remember her lines for the judge, ?Oh, how does that go again?? Not even Thelma Ritter can upstage her. Walking up the stairs meeting her estranged husband she is so punishingly beautiful she nearly distracts you from the story. Instead you're thinking what an idiot this husband to let her go. She (her character) is a gentle and vulnerable creature, and so we have Marilyn.

 

See it, Molo, it?s time.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I?ve never been able to come up with a favorite Marilyn

 

:) My favorites have changed over time. When I was a kid, it was her bubbly, upbeat comedies

from her prime I liked the most, mainly because I just couldn't believe her beauty. *Gentlemen*

*Prefer Blondes* was tippy top for the longest time. I just think she is the PERFECT "Lorelei

Lee" and cannot even imagine Carol Channing in the role, though she's very highly thought of in

it. Marilyn's "Lorelei" is just that...a little mermaid who lures men because she's so enchanting,

not threatening at all, and so very appealing---even though she's got her little agenda working all

the time. I just can't see men lining up by the dozens to sit at Carol's table on a cruise---unless

she was the only dame on board.

 

gentlemen_prefer_blondes-coloriz-2.jpg

 

The fact is, that despite her many troubles on the set, not remembering lines, the pills, the not showing up, the many reshoots, the emotional problems, etc., the finished products, the Marilyn we see on screen, is almost without exception, a convincing portrayal. Her excellence on screen belies any of those problems.

 

*Billy Wilder* summed it up best when asked about Marilyn's habitual lateness. He talked about

an Aunt he had in Vienna who was punctual to the minute to any appointment. "But who wants

to see my old Aunt up on the screen?" He also said: ["She was an absolute genius as a

comedic actress, with an extraordinary sense for comedic dialogue. It was a God-given gift.

Believe me, in the last fifteen years there were ten projects that came to me, and I'd start working

on them and I'd think, 'It's not going to work, it needs Marilyn Monroe.' Nobody else is in that

orbit; everyone else is earthbound by comparison."

 

No sadness on this thread, I promise. But it?s difficult sometimes. Marilyn elicits this in me. I even get a pang just watching those little vids you?ve posted.

 

Methinks you are the one "in tune" M. Lafitte! (Don't worry, I won't tell the other pirates.) ;)

 

I'll post screencaps of those scenes you mention from *The Misfits*, Lafitte, and maybe it

will entice Molo to see it sooner than later. :)

 

I don?t remember too much about it but I don't remember being overly impressed (though she's singing the title song in my brain right now, weep-weep-weep)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaqmValBiOo&feature=related

 

barrisGeorge-colorized_november_200.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Miss Goddess wrote: Hi Molo! Nice to see you here at "Blondle's".*

 

Well it's great to be here! :)

 

*Miss Goddess wrote: However, I think you may enjoy her in Prince and the Showgirl, a movie that doesn't get nearly enough credit.*

 

I've heard good things about her performance in this. I'm due for another DVD shopping spree. I may just have to order it. I'll report back here after I watch it.

 

*Miss Goddess wrote: I do like River of No Return as a movie over-all, I just don't rank Marilyn's performance up there with the others. She is best, I think, in the brief moments she shares with the little boy. Marilyn had a way with children, I believe, and she really is very sweet with Tommy Retig. I also love the songs she sings...*

 

I have that title song in my head right now! I haven't seen it in so long. I agree that she is good with children. I've noticed that.

 

*Miss Goddess wrote: You are very "precient" because The Misfits does have a misty veil of melancholy about it.*

 

*Laffite wrote: Hi Molo. Depression because it was her last film? Or the story? Anyway you?re reluctance does make sense, at least to me. I do that. There are some movies I keep pushing away and I don?t know why. But you needn?t be afraid of The Misfits. She is wonderful.*

 

I think in my head it does bring a sense of melancholy. Party because it was her last film and Gable's (another favorite of mine), and people have told me it was a sad story so maybe that sticks in my mind. Mostly the first thing though.

 

*Laffite wrote: See it, Molo, it?s time.* :)

 

I think you both have convinced me to give it a look. :)

 

*Laffite wrote: The fact is, that despite her many troubles on the set, not remembering lines, the pills, the not showing up, the many reshoots, the emotional problems, etc., the finished products, the Marilyn we see on screen, is almost without exception, a convincing portrayal. Her excellence on screen belies any of those problems. I don?t think I can think of anything she did that I?ve seen where she is bad. I?ll never know what my favorite Marilyn is. Maybe that?s good.*

 

I really like what you wrote here. I have always liked her in every film of hers I've seen. I like the early comedies like *Monkey Business,* and the early dramas like *Clash By Night* all the way through her roles in bigger and bigger films. Like so many of my favorites, she's just interesting to watch and I just have an appreciation of her beauty and talent.

 

*Lafitte wrote: The two biggies that have escaped me so far is Let?s Make Love and How to Marry a Millionaire.*

 

I haven't seen *Let's Make Love* either but I always thought *How To Marry a Millionaire* was a lot of fun. It's silly, but fun. I like the little things, like the way she can't see without her glasses. It's a self-deprecating kind of humor that appeals to me. You also have her with Bacall and Grable, and the rest of the cast is good. William Powell too.

 

*Miss Goddess wrote: Billy Wilder summed it up best when asked about Marilyn's habitual lateness. He talked about an Aunt he had in Vienna who was punctual to the minute to any appointment. "But who wants to see my old Aunt up on the screen?"*

 

That's a great quote. I also found the other things he said interesting. Thanks for posting that.

 

*Miss Goddess wrote: Methinks you are the one "in tune" M. Lafitte! (Don't worry, I won't tell the other pirates.)* ;)

 

LOL! :D

 

*Miss Goddess wrote: I'll post screencaps of those scenes you mention from The Misfits, Lafitte, and maybe it will entice Molo to see it sooner than later.* :)

 

I'm convinced but I'd like to see the screen caps too! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorites of MM's are Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, HTMAM and I loved her in Monkey Business. I love her in anything she does but those are my top 3. I love the scene in Monkey business when she comes up to Grant and Coburn and Coburn tells her the paper is very important and that she'd better find someone to type it for her and Grant looks at Coburn puzzled to which Coburn replies "Anybody can type".

 

I would like to know why if so many rave about MM and her fabulous figure then why are our models and most of our actresses today stick thin? In my opinion the most beautiful women are the ones that look like women. Maybe it's just me but it seems like the ladies of the Golden Era ate a little more frequently. I saw Misfits last week and I watched in pure bliss as a fellow woman was on the beach in a bikini, had a pooch that had a slight jiggle and Clark still wanted her! I think the focus should be aimed at people being a healthy size for them, after all we are all different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Miss Goddess* writes:

*Methinks you are the one "in tune" M. Lafitte! (Don't worry, I won't tell the other pirates.) ;)*

 

Thanks, they wouldn't understand. One look at Marilyn and these brutes would have just one thought. They don't understand sad. ;)

 

*I'll post screencaps of those scenes you mention from The Misfits, Lafitte, and maybe it*

*will entice Molo to see it sooner than later. :)*

 

Oh, thank you! There is also a scene in the bar and grill (whatever it is) after the Court appearance where she is sitting in the booth with Clark, Eli, and Thelma. Again, very beautiful. (I think *Molo'* s a cinch to fall prey to our designs on his movie watching habits, it's only a matter of time ;) ) She changes her hair later in the movie with a style that is slightly less pleasing to me but it hardly matters.

 

*Molo*: See it, it's time. I've been watching your Gloria now you have to watch my Marilyn. ;)

 

//

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Nikkymo!

 

to me, Marilyn and Charles Coburn are the best things about Howard Hawks' *Monkey Business*. They are relaxed and completely believable, not to mention wildly funny, in

their roles.

 

MMCary.jpg

 

 

I would like to know why if so many rave about MM and her fabulous figure then why are our models and most of our actresses today stick thin? In my opinion the most beautiful women are the ones that look like women. Maybe it's just me but it seems like the ladies of the Golden Era ate a little more frequently. I saw Misfits last week and I watched in pure bliss as a fellow woman was on the beach in a bikini, had a pooch that had a slight jiggle and Clark still wanted her! I think the focus should be aimed at people being a healthy size for them, after all we are all different.

 

Fashions go to such extremes. One generation "thin is in" and the next it's the Reubenesque

shape (a la Marilyn). It's been a loooooooooooooooooong time, however, since the latter style

has been fashionable and I'm afraid it's because there is this whole rigid mentality with the media

and the fashion editors and they exert enormous and pervasive influence. They believe you can

never be too thin and won't let go of that ideal. I agree with what you say and I think back in

Marilyn's day women tended to try to look attractive to men and men have generally preferred a

more rounded shape. You can still ask a lot of men what they think and they'll say they like a

little more meat on the bones. It's just that women don't seem to want to cater to that anymore.

They'd rather starve themselves and the scary part is that young men growing up are starting to

buy into this "ideal" and no longer like women who look natural. In my Mother's country,

Germany, they just had to enact a law that forbids models to be under a certain weight or age.

I wish New York and Paris would follow suit. Of course, I see the extreme end of it because I

live in Manhattan, but I think people are more reasonable once you get outside the big cities.

Thank goodness for that! :)

 

As for myself, I wish I could fill out a bathing suit like MM did!

 

mmbeachmisfits.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm convinced but I'd like to see the screen caps too!

 

Hi Molo! You got it! I'm working on it... ;)

 

MMatTree.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, thank you! There is also a scene in the bar and grill (whatever it is) after the Court appearance where she is sitting in the booth with Clark, Eli, and Thelma. Again, very beautiful.

 

I love that scene! (Oh, but I say that about all of them!) Even the doggie couldn't resist her...

 

misfits98.jpg

 

misfits96.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Marilyn! She was so amazing. My appreciation for her has really developed in the past year and a half or so, because before I hadn't seen too much of her before then. But now I love her. My best friend who I am in charge of her classic film education (LOL!) has never seen a Marilyn (I feel I have failed her...LOL!) so to honor her tonight we are going to watch "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and "Some Like It Hot". These films I know my friend will like and they are good "starter" films about MM.

 

Speaking of "Gentlemen..." I have to say I love MM's voice! There is something so appealing about it. So soft and soothing, a lullaby-suited voice.

 

Also, I wanted to mention for those who haven't seen it, that there are about forty minutes completed of "Something's Gotta Give". You can watch it on Youtube. It is really amazing! Up there with the original ("My Favorite Wife") and way better then the Doris Day remake. It ends in the middle of a scene and you just here "Cut" and Marilyn looks up to the camera with a shocked and surprised look on her face. It kinda makes me sad! But it is still worth watching, even if it was her last film!

 

 

 

associated%20press_marilyn_monroe_seven_yr_itch_L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ILRM! I'd love to know how your friend enjoyed the MM movies.

 

I have the dvd that contains that footage of Marilyn in *Something's Got to Give* and I'll try to

eventually get up some screen caps from it. I especially want to show some of the bits she did

with the children, that's the cutest part.

 

Thank you for the picture, too!

 

Something's Got to Give

Animated-SomethingsGot2Give.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good day, Molo Monroe -- Does Gloria know you are sneaking around on her?

You know darn well she'd never do such a thing to you. :D

 

I just wanted to second (or is it third? Oh, Miss G never counts) Laffite's strongarm

tactics in regards to The Misfits. It's a fantastic film. From a story point of

view, I don't find the film to be depressing. I believe it is human. Considering

all of the wonderful analytical posts you have "penned" on the board, I'm confident

in saying, you will greatly enjoy The Misfits.

 

misfits1-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lafitte wrote: There is also a scene in the bar and grill (whatever it is) after the Court appearance where she is sitting in the booth with Clark, Eli, and Thelma. Again, very beautiful.

 

Here are some caps from that scene in *The Misfits*

 

Misfits-Harrahs01.jpg?t=1218059783

 

Misfits-Harrahs02.jpg?t=1218059843

 

Misfits-Harrahs03.jpg?t=1218059882

 

misfits89.jpg

 

Misfits-Harrahs04.jpg?t=1218059928

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us