Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Hello, Norma Jean!

798 posts in this topic

Bonjour MissG, I am well, thank you... just busy. I'm going to try to poke around here a little more often. Maybe I can even think of something to say once in a while, that is, if the brain still works. Pirate brains tend to atrophy at a higher rate than non-pirate brains. They were going to do a study on this but after talking to me for 10 minutes, they had all the info they needed. :D

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> Bonjour MissG, I am well, thank you... just busy. I'm going to try to poke around here a little more often.

Yay! I mean, merveilleuse!

> Maybe I can even think of something to say once in a while, that is, if the brain still works. Pirate brains tend to atrophy at a higher rate than non-pirate brains. They were going to do a study on this but after talking to me for 10 minutes, they had all the info they needed. :D

Ha! I think they put my brain in the "placebo" category. :D

I recently transferred a well worn VHS copy of Marilyn Monroe's elusive debut film *Dangerous Years* to DVD. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the caps.

They are not very good quality as the tape was really old and the print probably wasn't in great shape when it was broadcast, but you have to work with what you have.

The film itself isn't that bad for what it is, a kind of cautionary tale for teenagers. It's about the efforts of Jeff Carter (Donald Curtis) to stamp out juvenile delinquency by opening up a boy's club and trying to get the area teenagers involved as mentors as a way of keeping them out of trouble.

Bad guy Danny (Billy Halop) shows up and causes trouble, getting the kids involved in theft and eventually even murder. It is also "old home week" for a bunch of former juvenile actors. Aside from Halop, the cast includes Dickie Moore, Scotty Beckett, Ann E. Todd and Darryl Hickman.

Jerome Cowan also appears in the film.

Marilyn made this film in 1947 for Sol Wurtzel at Fox. Her part is not really consequential to the plot, except maybe to establish that Danny is a player and that Gene (Dickie Moore) is a fairly decent kid who needs money. The film clocks in at about 62 minutes. No spoilers for the movie here, just Marilyn's part.

Marylin shows up in the first ten minutes working as a waitress at the local hangout. We first see her strutting across the floor of the juke joint.

DangerousYears1.jpg?t=1310518761

Like I said, the caps are not good quality, I added captions too but her first lines are uttered with her back to the camera and I'm not quite sure what she says so I didn't put in a caption. She is giving her order to the guy behind the counter. I think she says: Four all day sundaes.

DY2.jpg?t=1310518708

Gene (Dickie Moore) shows up and Evie (Marilyn) isn't to thrilled with him at the moment:

DY3-1.jpg

DY4-1.jpg

DY5-1.jpg

DY6.jpg?t=1310520244

DY7-1.jpg

DY8-1.jpg

So a little later on, Gene hooks up with pal Doris (Todd) and he isn't worried if Evie is a little jealous as they grab a booth and he calls for Evie:

DY9-1.jpg

DY10.jpg?t=1310516012

DY11-1.jpg

DY12-1.jpg

DY13-1.jpg

DY14-1.jpg

DY15-1.jpg

So Evie goes and gets the Cokes and Danny has shown up by the time she comes back. She is more impressed with Danny:

DY16-1.jpg

Evie reminds Gene about the tip...

DY18-1.jpg

Danny kicks in for it..

DY19-1.jpg

Those are Marilyn's last lines in the film, well sort of. She walks away smiling, beaming really, in that special way only Marilyn can:

DY21.jpg?t=1310515244

A bit later, at about the 23 minute mark, Marilyn shows up for the last time. Jeff Carter (Donald Curtis) comes in the joint and walks by her:

DY23.jpg?t=1310515179

She looks him up and down and actually whistles, before smiling as the camera fades out on her.

DY26.jpg?t=1310515049

I have only watched the film once, but doing these caps, it was really sweet to see her in this. She wasn't awkward either, just kind of natural. I think she was about twenty when she made this. The film is nothing great but it was certainly interesting seeing her in it.

Oh Molo what a wonderful surprise! Thank you SO much for posting these caps from the elusive first movie of MM! She looks gorgeous, no surprise and it seems like a pretty decent bit part to show off her beauty and youth at the time. Not even the murky VHS quality can hide how glowing she was.

Absolutely brilliant addition to this thread (which coincidentally, I've been wanting an excuse to bump up). THANK YOU!

marilyn-monroe-17.jpg

Hi Miss G,

Glad you liked the caps. I'm really surprised this film has never made it to DVD. I mean, it's Marilyn Monroe for goodness sake! You would think there would be a market for it.

I also thought the role was good for a bit part debut. You definitely notice her and she is beautiful. Her time on screen does fly by in what is a really short film though.

Marilyn's last completed musical comedy, *Let's Make Love*, with Yves Montand, Tony Randall and special guest stars Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby and Milton Berle. Some fun songs, especially when Marilyn sings because she has a sweet, breezy voice that draws you to her, and she gets to wiggle around in tights and sequins. But mostly she tries to give her character a little more three dimensional reality than the usual string of dumb blondes. The glamour put-on is still there, so is the seductive "star" but she also shows, in the middle of some of her funniest moments a touching vulnerability that is like seeing the mask drop for a lightening quick moment. yet those moments are the best thing in the otherwise standard musical comedy fare.

LML2.jpg

mari%2026.jpg

This photo has been tampered with. The original (not available at the moment) showed her in what I guess were called hot pants. A couple tweaks with photoshop makes it look like a mini-skirt (mischievous me from a few years ago) ... which is interesting because as far as I know she never was photographed in a mini-skirt (for the simple reason that they had not been invented yet, sorta). The closest I can think of was a photo-op she did wearing a burlap bag that was cut up quite a bit above the knee that had the look of one (I do believe if memory serves, I experimented with photoshop to make them to look like skirts [Oh, laffite...]. So then, here we have what she would have looked like in a "real" one. Incredibly cute, yes?

• Like 1