LeeDonely

Cagney

116 posts in this topic

Yes Cagfan. I posted on film noir Gangsters about the lack of Jimmy's films on his birthday. I know there are a lot of fans out there in the dark [ forgive me Norma ] who love Jimmy.. We'll keep plugging away for Jimmy, that's the kind of hairpins we fans are...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Sounds like The Time of Your Life (1948).

I don't know if TCM ever shows that, but I watched it on YouTube a year or two ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

12 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't know if TCM ever shows that, but I watched it on YouTube a year or two ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I saw "The Time of Your Life"  a year-and-a-half or about two years ago on TCM. Paul Draper also makes an appearance in this movie.

His movies are a big deal to me because Paul Draper is one of the greatest tap dancers who ever lived and he made very few films. So that's why I probably remember seeing this movie not so long ago.

One unfortunate reason that he only made a couple of movies was because he was blacklisted.

The other film of his that I have seen is called "Colleen" and he tap dances with Ruby Keeler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2018 at 10:16 PM, LawrenceA said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Cagney fan as well. I just find that many times people exaggerate with these claims that some actor or actress is being "disrespected". 

Here are the last times Cagney's movies have been shown on TCM:

• Sinners Holiday (1930)  - June, 2016 (11 times total)
  • The Doorway to Hell (1930)  -  August, 2018 (22 times total)
  • Other Men's Women (1931)  -  May, 2016 (16 times total)
  • The Public Enemy (1931)  -  October, 2017 (64 times total)
  • The Millionaire (1931)  -  June, 2016 (10 times total)
  • Smart Money (1931) - December, 2017 (24 times total)
  • Blonde Crazy (1931) - July, 2018 (16 times total)
  • Taxi! (1932) - September, 2017 (23 times total)
  • The Crowd Roars (1932) - August, 2017 (22 times total)
  • Winner Take All (1932) - September, 2017 (14 times total)
  • Hard to Handle (1933) - June, 2016 (9 times total)
  • Picture Snatcher (1933) - June, 2016 (24 times total)
  • The Mayor of Hell (1933) - August, 2017 (22 times total)
  • Footlight Parade (1933) - July, 2017 (44 times total)
  • Lady Killer (1933) - August, 2015 (18 times total)
  • Jimmy the Gent (1934) - April, 2018 (19 times total)
  • He Was Her Man (1934) - June, 2016 (14 times total)
  • Here Comes the Navy (1934) - February, 2015 (22 times total)
  • The St. Louis Kid (1934) - June, 2016 (10 times total)
  • Devil Dogs of the Air (1935) - June, 2016 (13 times total)
  • "G" Men (1935) - February, 2017 (30 times total)
  • The Irish In Us (1935) - July, 2016 (20 times total)
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) - August, 2018 (53 times total)
  • Frisco Kid (1935) - July, 2017 (13 times total)
  • Ceiling Zero (1936) -  never shown
  • Great Guy (1936) - never shown
  • Something to Sing About (1937) - October, 2016 (10 times total)
  • Boy Meets Girl (1938) - June, 2014 (20 times total)
  • Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) - December, 2009 (51 times total)
  • The Oklahoma Kid (1939) - July, 2017 (26 times total)
  • Each Dawn I Die (1939) - January, 2017 (32 times total)
  • The Roaring Twenties (1939) - August, 2017 (42 times total)
  • The Fighting 69th (1940) - March, 2018 (34 times total)
  • Torrid Zone (1940) - June, 2015 (29 times total)
  • City for Conquest (1940) - July, 2017 (27 times total)
  • The Strawberry Blonde (1941) - December, 2017 (41 times total)
  • The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941) - June, 2016 (37 times total)
  • Captains of the Clouds (1942) - April, 2018 (37 times total)
  • Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) - July, 2018 (90 times total)
  • Johnny Come Lately (1943) - never shown
  • Blood On the Sun (1945) - October, 2005 (4 times total)
  • 13 Rue Madeleine (1947) - April, 2013 (2 times total)
  • The Time of Your Life (1948) - September, 2017 (20 times total)
  • White Heat (1949) - March, 2018 (75 times total)
  • Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1950) - never shown
  • The West Point Story (1950) - August, 2018 (23 times total)
  • Come Fill the Cup (1951) - never shown
  • What Price Glory? (1952) - July, 2013 (1 time total)
  • A Lion Is in the Streets (1953) - October, 2017 (4 times total)
  • Run for Cover (1955) - April, 1997 (1 time total)
  • Love Me or Leave Me (1955) - April, 2018 (58 times total)
  • The Seven Little Foys (1955) - November, 2014 (8 times total)
  • Mister Roberts (1955) - May, 2018 (43 times total)
  • Tribute to a Bad Man (1956) - September, 2015 (17 times total)
  • These Wilder Years (1956) - July, 2018 (22 times total)
  • Man of a Thousand Faces (1957) - May, 2012 (10 times total)
  • Never Steal Anything Small (1959) - never shown
  • Shake Hands with the Devil (1959) - August, 2017 (12 times total)
  • The Gallant Hours (1960) - August, 2017 (12 times total)
  • One, Two, Three (1961) - August, 2012 (29 times total)
  • Ragtime (1981) - June, 2002 (3 times total)
  • Terrible Joe Moran (1984) - never shown

Do with this info what you will.

I think you may be wrong about "Ceiling Zero". I  thought Ceiling Zero played shortly after TCM went on the air.  There are rights problems with that film and "Come Fill The Cup". I don't know what is going on with "Angels with Dirty Faces", but that looks like a rights problem too.  All of these are Warner Brothers films. "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" is like "White Heat" in some kind of alternate universe. I highly recommend it.

5 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I think you may be wrong about "Ceiling Zero". I  thought Ceiling Zero played shortly after TCM went on the air.  There are rights problems with that film and "Come Fill The Cup". I don't know what is going on with "Angels with Dirty Faces", but that looks like a rights problem too.  All of these are Warner Brothers films. "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" is like "White Heat" in some kind of alternate universe. I highly recommend it.

I just go by MovieCollector's database, and it has no showings for Ceiling Zero. However, he does have some small gaps in his schedule history, so it's possible that a showing falls within those.

I just checked jimmy's birthday schedule for tomorrow and it works for me.

James Cagney's film debut in Sinners' Holiday. He and Joan Blondell stole the picture out from underneath the leads of the film -Evelyn Knapp and Grant Withers.  Their brassy style was just what Warner Brothers needed to succeed in their "working man's" screenplays, but they were having a tough go of it with the actors they had been employing. Oddly Al Jolson only agreed to sell the rights to this play to WB if they agreed to use Cagney and Blondell in their original roles. Nobody really knows why Jolson insisted on this. He was hardly interested in the welfare of up and coming actors. However, he did WB, Cagney, and Blondell a great favor in the process. Why is it named Sinners' Holiday? Because there were a bunch of films that came out in 1930 with "Holiday" in the title, and WB thought the name would attract moviegoers.

• Thanks 1

Cagney with George Arliss in just one scene in 1931's "The Millionaire". Arliss, unlike Jolson, actually DID take an interest in new talent. He got Cagney put into this scene as a life insurance salesman, and he was also responsible for bringing Bette Davis to WB after Universal terminated their contract with her.

• Thanks 1

Cagney meets the Dead End Kids in "Angels with Dirty Faces".  Supposedly, the Dead End Kids tried to push Cagney around, but Cagney pushed back.

Cagney never said "You dirty rat", at least not in a film. This scene in "Taxi" is as close as he comes. He plays a cabbie who is tracking down the man who killed his brother. His wife, played by Loretta Young, is trying to intervene because her father died in prison after killing the man who crashed into his cab during a labor dispute.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

TCM better show Jimmy Cagney tap dancing right now or else.

Rocky Sullivan

2 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

I could do double wings, but I never could get those single wings--  much less down a flight of stairs.  LOL

Jimmy Mack, you're still a Sweetie!

• Like 1

& he was the original ROCKY!

Actually the NYFCC-(New York Film Critics Circle)-(Est: 1935-)

For 1938 went way different then HOLLYWOOD & THE *AMPAS

Best Film: The Citadel (MGM/British)

Best Actor: James Cagney, "Angels with Dirty Faces"-(over *Tracy in "Boys Town")

Actress: Margaret Sullavan, "Three Comrades"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I could do double wings, but I never could get those single wings--  much less down a flight of stairs.  LOL

Jimmy Mack, you're still a Sweetie!

The things I won't do to hear you say that. I'm melting.

Scrape, Brush, Step. Easy Peasy. I found a video and the lady recommends a bar stool. Yeah, right.

Cagney is not my favorite, but that scene is tops.

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I just go by MovieCollector's database, and it has no showings for Ceiling Zero. However, he does have some small gaps in his schedule history, so it's possible that a showing falls within those.

There are, I think, some kind of rights issues with Ceiling Zero, which is maybe based on a play or a novel or something which has proved intractable as far as TCM obtaining the rights? Feel like I've read that on here before.

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

There are, I think, some kind of rights issues with Ceiling Zero, which is maybe based on a play or a novel or something which has proved intractable as far as TCM obtaining the rights? Feel like I've read that on here before.

All I know is that it's one of the only four Cagney movies that I haven't seen. :( 

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

All I know is that it's one of the only four Cagney movies that I haven't seen. :( 

The only Cagney movie I haven't seen and don't own a copy of is "Never Steal Anything Small". I think the trailer is on youtube and that is it. I am really curious about that one.

17 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

The only Cagney movie I haven't seen and don't own a copy of is "Never Steal Anything Small". I think the trailer is on youtube and that is it. I am really curious about that one.

You're not missing much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Leonard Maltin writes he made this pretty good (**1/2) crime-drama in the wake of WHITE HEAT

I agree Lee... It's sad that they couldn't show something on his birthday...I know we'll never get another full day of his movies, but for all that is holy - a movie to acknowledge his birthday would have been nice... I have emailed a ton of times and never get a response, nor do they ever listen....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dirty Rat said:

I agree Lee... It's sad that they couldn't show something on his birthday...I know we'll never get another full day of his movies, but for all that is holy - a movie to acknowledge his birthday would have been nice... I have emailed a ton of times and never get a response, nor do they ever listen....

For 'all that is holy' does TCM need to show a film for ALL actors and actresses on their birthday?    If not ALL,  what actors and actresses are deserving?     I love Cagney,  (look at my avatar),  but birthday tributes are way overrated.   

TCM shows Cagney films all the time.  Isn't that much more important than TCM NOT showing a Cagney film on this ONE day?  

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:14 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I very patiently and thoughtfully stated why it might be logical to assume you were the same person based on previous experiences in my many years on this board. I'm baffled at the idea that you find that to be an "attack". I'm not trying to make enemies. I have already said I didn't intend to offend anybody, and I'm sorry if I upset you or anyone else. You continue to be very aggressive and angry and combative about it, so I'm saying sorry a second time. I don't know what else I can do.

Accepted and I apologize as well.