spence

Natalie Wood now got shortchanged on her birthday yesterday???

28 posts in this topic

I know about *CAGNEY on July 17th getting the "HIGH HAT" as they used to say for his 119th birthday on July 17th.

Then it occured with NATALIE WOOD-=(Natalia Nikolavnia Zakherenko) who would been 80 yesterday & TCM only aired (2) & even at that mediocre films of the 46 she made-(plus 3 for television???)

QUESTION IS WHY & NO:  SPLENDOR INTHE GRASS-(not only her fav. and mine as well), DAISY CLOVERE, LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER, THE GREAT RACE, REEBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE or EVENM THE ALL-TIOME GREATEST WESTERN: THE SEARCHERS, not to mention MIRACLKE ON 34th STREET either

& that reminds me though it belongs in another column  "FILMS TCM NEVER AIRS" WHY NO "BRAINSTORM"(l983)?

THANK YOU, BUT it's obviously too late now

OH., I do think they did rebroadcast what may be her WORST 1966's PENELOPE?

6 hours ago, spence said:

...& that reminds me though it belongs in another column  "FILMS TCM NEVER AIRS" WHY NO "BRAINSTORM"(l983)?

Actually, they did show BRAINSTORM when Natalie was SOTM.

They are also airing it on Sat 7/21 at 6pmET, if you want to catch it then! ;)

• Like 1

Well, I can see your point, Spence but TCM does routinely show a lot of Natalie's films so I'm sure they meant no disrespect. In some ways, showing "Penelope" might be a coup, since even for a Natalie fan, being that it is a bit more of an obscure film, perhaps it would be new to many people and fun to view. I remember the first time I saw it, I enjoyed seeing Peter Falk looking spiffy and not in his wrinkled Columbo raincoat.

Well, hopefully next year they will show more Natalie films on her birthday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Does too, raise the question of how often (if ever) has TCM showed TOMORROW IS FOREVER?

I do think I did see it once on TCM, but never noticed it in recent years.  But, I never DO burn the schedule into my brain.

And then....NO mention of BOB,&CAROL&TED &ALICE?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Does too, raise the question of how often (if ever) has TCM showed TOMORROW IS FOREVER?

I do think I did see it once on TCM, but never noticed it in recent years.  But, I never DO burn the schedule into my brain.

Sepiatone

They did air TOMORROW IS FOREVER a few times last year. Natalie is tremendous in it, isn't she? The entire cast is great in it, as well.

I’m pretty sure that Natalie had a birthday tribute last year. 

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Well, I can see your point, Spence but TCM does routinely show a lot of Natalie's films so I'm sure they meant no disrespect. In some ways, showing "Penelope" might be a coup, since even for a Natalie fan, being that it is a bit more of an obscure film, perhaps it would be new to many people and fun to view. I remember the first time I saw it, I enjoyed seeing Peter Falk looking spiffy and not in his wrinkled Columbo raincoat.

Well, hopefully next year they will show more Natalie films on her birthday!

With regards to birthday tributes;  Do you really want such tributes to be a cornerstone of TCM's programming?   For those that say 'yes',  I'm interested in what criteria they would use if they had complete control over TCM's programming.     By criteria I mean things like:

1) What members of the movie making business must be honored?  Of course actors and actresses are a given,  but what about directors,  producers,  studio heads,  screenwriters?.   These folks had birthdays also! 

2)  Once #1 is defined,   what is the criteria for 'this person must be honored'?    I.e.  what makes someone 'big enough'?  (as defined by a consensus of studio-era TCM viewers).     This is the most important criteria since it determines the aggregate number of 'must be honored' tributes.  

3) Should birthday tributes trump all other types of 'special' programming;  E.g. Summer under the Stars days in August are set-aside for those that 'must be honored' that were born in August?   The same for Oscar month,  and even Star of the Month; E.g.  if the films are shown each Thursday during the month for the SOTM,  and there is a 'must be honored' birthday on one of those Thursday,  the SOTM gets one less day????

Of course there is also what happens on holidays;  E.g. someone that 'must be honored' that was born on Memorial day;  their films are shown instead of the typically Memorial day films? 

4) What are the 'must be honored' birthdays?  All of them (so every year actor XYZ has a tribute?),  only those divisible by 5,  by 10,  by 25? 

5) How many films should be shown to ensure the proper level of respect is shown?   E.g. All day tribute, only east coast prime time?    

Once the above is determined then one would know what percentage of programming has to be set aside for birthday tributes.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Looking at moviecollectoroh’s database Tomorrow is Forever has been shown 35 times, the last being January of this year. I didn’t look up Bob Carol Ted & Alice but I feel like it’s a similar amount of showings. 

ETA: Bob Carol Ted & Alice has only been shown 9 times, the last time was Nov. 2016. It’s a Columbia film so that might explain why it’s shown less often.

Edited by HelenBaby2
Add info
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With regards to birthday tributes;  Do you really want such tributes to be a cornerstone of TCM's programming?   For those that say 'yes',  I'm interested in what criteria they would use if they had complete control over TCM's programming.     By criteria I mean things like:

1) What members of the movie making business must be honored?  Of course actors and actresses are a given,  but what about directors,  producers,  studio heads,  screenwriters?.   These folks had birthdays also! 

2)  Once #1 is defined,   what is the criteria for 'this person must be honored'?    I.e.  what makes someone 'big enough'?  (as defined by a consensus of studio-era TCM viewers).     This is the most important criteria since it determines the aggregate number of 'must be honored' tributes.  

3) Should birthday tributes trump all other types of 'special' programming;  E.g. Summer under the Stars days in August are set-aside for those that 'must be honored' that were born in August?   The same for Oscar month,  and even Star of the Month; E.g.  if the films are shown each Thursday during the month for the SOTM,  and there is a 'must be honored' birthday on one of those Thursday,  the SOTM gets one less day????

Of course there is also what happens on holidays;  E.g. someone that 'must be honored' that was born on Memorial day;  their films are shown instead of the typically Memorial day films? 

4) What are the 'must be honored' birthdays?  All of them (so every year actor XYZ has a tribute?),  only those divisible by 5,  by 10,  by 25? 

5) How many films should be shown to ensure the proper level of respect is shown?   E.g. All day tribute, only east coast prime time?    

Once the above is determined then one would know what percentage of programming has to be set aside for birthday tributes.     

This is the second time I've seen you nail this topic. Very good. I found an old reply from a TCM staffer, claiming the "Turner Library," is not the property of TCM, but Warner, which is now AT&T and Warner Media. The post claimed TCM would lease the films. This goes against what other have told me. If true, TCM cannot just play movies whenever.

I still wish to offer a maximum of 2 movies in a theme, and as mentioned before, let the host/hostess talk at length between those 2 movies.

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Personally I'm not an adherent of birthday tributes because it reminds me of my "Lives of the Saints" book. Each saint got a day with a writeup about their worthiness, like Maria Goretti who fended off an attack by a smarmy neighbor boy, which resulted in him using a knife or something to chop off her frontal protrusions, if you get my drift, so following that precedent each actor should get a day, and there are only 364-365 days but there are lots more worthy actors. I guess TCM could have split days but then that smacks of prejudice, like people who are invited to your house for dinner and then check with other friends to find if you served them chicken or steak, and someone will be posting "Hey, I think it was horrid that Dustin Hoffman got a whole day but Gene Raymond got only a half day". I say, forget birthday tributes because deep down, it might only be the actor who cares, and if they are dead, I doubt they are worrying about it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

thanx & I first saw that underrated 1946 drama on the network (***-out of 4 stars) (RKO)  It's been on quite a few times since too

Can you believe 1969's fun & well-made (***) BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE actually made more with moviegoers then *WEST SIDE STORY

Never a fan of the late Robert Culp & could always see George Segal in his role myself  As many know he & NATASHA did eventually team up for her penultimate film 1980's LAST MARRIED COUPLE IN AMERICA (**)

Which was on almost daily back then when she went away in November of 1981  It was on HBO all the time

But on BRAINSTORM (l983 released of course posthumously) & think it only grossed $11m. (***) TCM airs it, but not very much & *LOUISE FLETCHER & IT'S SOUND WERE SNUBBED OF *OSCAR NODS

PEEPER is just about only movie of her 46-(theatrical works) I've yet to see.  & *WARREN BEATY literally nagged her to portray BONNIE PARKER, even a couple yrs before it was finally set for *FAYE DUNAWAY.  At that stage of her life though I think she was burned out on making movies & was really looking forward to have a family/children,etc

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m pretty sure that Natalie had a birthday tribute last year. 

It seems sometimes they switch vs giving half & half of a person's birthday   i.e. *DAVIS vs. *TRACY on April 5th

3 minutes ago, spence said:

It seems sometimes they switch vs giving half & half of a person's birthday   i.e. *DAVIS vs. *TRACY on April 5th

It was disrespectful of Davis's mother to have Bette born on the same day as Tracy.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least, TCM should have given a three picture tribute to Natalie. That is an easy one, an acknowledgment of her talent and her tragic end.

Brainstorm is playing now, with Natalie Wood and Louise Fletcher, who has a birthday tomorrow.

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Maria Goretti who fended off an attack by a smarmy neighbor boy, which resulted in him using a knife or something to chop off her frontal protrusions, if you get my drift

He chopped off her noses?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, arpirose said:

At least, TCM should have given a three picture tribute to Natalie. That is an easy one, an acknowledgment of her talent and her tragic end.

Please see my post with regards to the criteria that TCM should use for birthday tributes.

Note that you added one I didn't think of;   actors that had a tragic death.  

Should TCM only have birthday tributes for those that had a tragic death?  (this criteria would limit the number of actors that TCM should 'as least' do something for which is necessary in order for > 50% of TCM programming to NOT be devoted to birthday tributes ).

Also, as it relates to Natalie,  should TCM 'at least',  show 3 of her films,  each and every year on her birthday?    What about the day she died?   Should TCM 'at least' have a tribute on that day as well?

4 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

This is the second time I've seen you nail this topic. Very good. I found an old reply from a TCM staffer, claiming the "Turner Library," is not the property of TCM, but Warner, which is now AT&T and Warner Media. The post claimed TCM would lease the films. This goes against what other have told me. If true, TCM cannot just play movies whenever.

I still wish to offer a maximum of 2 movies in a theme, and as mentioned before, let the host/hostess talk at length between those 2 movies.

Actually, no, it's like he's got a lot of time on his hands......... 😎

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It was disrespectful of Davis's mother to have Bette born on the same day as Tracy.    

Then there's poor Melvyn Douglas and Gregory Peck! What about them?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would be nice to have a general thread where we can pay our own individual tributes to our favorites on their birthdays, whether they are deceased or still living.Who's better than the fans when it comes to adoration anyway?:D  All of us feel slightly miffed when we feel our favorites have been forgotten or disrespected. We could post photos, videos, private collection tidbits, or simply salutations.

The problem is, though, that it only takes a day or two of inactivity to push the thread to page 10 or beyond, and folks forget about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Every day is some celebrity's birthday, right? I felt Dargo also nailed how exhausting this concept is. This bit on the Cagney thread were something like five allegedly different people made their first posts ever to say TCM was "pathetic" for not honoring Cagney on a birthday that wasn't even a round number, it got my dander up ...

I was half-thinking about searching imdb until I saw it was Grant Mitchell's birthday, and then deliver a passionate, angry post about how TCM has always ignored Mitchell and how Eddie Mueller and Dave Karger clearly have a bias against him and just lay a lot of angry invective about why TCM is the most stupid abysmal failure in the history of television programming for ignoring this moment. But I feared people wouldn't get the intended irony.

• Haha 3

On 7/21/2018 at 9:31 AM, spence said:

OH., I do think they did rebroadcast what may be her WORST 1966's PENELOPE?

Hey, I like PENELOPE!

Ugh sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just saw Natalie's sister Lana is making the "nostalgia" rounds. I don't know why, I just don't like her. Maybe I was turned off reading her book on Natalie (while I quite liked Gavin Lambert's 2004 "Natalie")

Lana's publicity photos-she was a Bond girl-are shameless sexploitation, not very dignified. One thing I really loved about Natalie was she was pretty classy. She lived an exciting life, but kept a dignity about her.

• Like 1

Wasn't Natalie Wood's Fri 07/20/18 birthday tribute (if there was one)

replaced by special programming that honored 

Tab Hunter who died 07/08/18?

They did show The Girl He Left Behind 

It co-starred Natalie Wood.