REALLY? TWO-DAYS OF LEONARD BERNSTEIN?

152 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I just use my shirt.

:P:lol:

I just hope you're not borrowing the library's copy of Caligula. :lol:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Seems to me that several people around here are enjoying the Bernstein tribute.

I am. Sorry, everyone. :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I am. Sorry, everyone. :(

Don't be sorry.  I have 400 movies recorded on my DVR (though for whatever reason, I'm on my 10th episode of Mary Tyler Moore instead).  I will definitely be able to occupy myself with a different selection.

Enjoy Leonard Bernstein everyone.  

(It took me three tries to write "Bernstein" and not "Berenstain" as in "The Berenstain Bears.") 

• Like 1

Growing up in NY we were lucky to go on the most interesting field trips. My class in JHS attended one of the Young People's Concerts at Carnegie Hall with Bernstein conducting. What was especially great was that Ginger Rogers was sitting behind me at that concert. I was already into classic films and knew who Ginger was so it was especially thrilling for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Growing up in NY we were lucky to go on the most interesting field trips. My class in JHS attended one of the Young People's Concerts at Carnegie Hall with Bernstein conducting. What was especially great was that Ginger Rogers was sitting behind me at that concert. I was already into classic films and knew who Ginger was so it was especially thrilling for me.

Hey, maybe we'll see you in the audience in one of the shows. 

Just watched the Bernstein presentation on Jazz music and that was interesting.   I wish he had spend more time on harmony since that is the element of music that people are least familiar with (e.g.  I IV V, being the soul of the blues, or II V I,  being key to jazz standards,   harmonic progressions). 

He mention one that that is being debated at the Jazz Guitar Forum as to why is jazz dead;   because one can't dance to it.   

Some at the forum are saying jazz has to get back to a more basic sound that one can dance to,  while others believe that is a cop-out.   I.e. Jazz is dead because audiences lack the musical knowledge and patience to follow it.  

While I don't want jazz to die,  I don't wish to dumb-it-down,  but hey, I don't make my living by being a musician.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

The Young People's Concerts are considered rare, revolutionary bits of television history, and thus "historical" enough for TCM to dig up and premiere for their library.

That said, I'm also smelling Warner stirring the Spielberg-promotion pot.  Broadway wants to do another big revival so I'm guessing Spielberg will be shut out on West Side Story film rights, and he'll end up doing that historical "Leonard Bernstein biography" he wanted to do instead as a backup.  Probably with Mark Rylance.

imdb says the movie is already in pre-production, which I assume they wouldn't go ahead with if the rights weren't secured?

I just saw the episode on operettas and musical comedies. Probably my favorite so far. The music of J.S. Bach and opera episodes will probably be very good though.

I agree is was a bit too much  & can somebody tell me & others what other motion picture scores he did except the powerful 1954 *ON THE WATERFRONT?

& was he related to *ELMER BERNSTEIN?

16 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I just hope you're not borrowing the library's copy of Caligula. :lol:

not me. I download everything I want and put it on a disc, either a DVD or a CD. of course you gotta know about formats and resolutions and what to convert to what.

:)

25 minutes ago, spence said:

can somebody tell me & others what other motion picture scores he did except the powerful 1954 *ON THE WATERFRONT?

The only other film for which he received a composer credit was West Side Story.

26 minutes ago, spence said:

No, the two composers were not related.

I was surprised that TCM was spending so much time on Leonard Bernstein, given that, after one night of his movie work, the second and third nights were focused on his network TV shows that were aimed at educating viewers about various aspects of music.

But it was a very pleasant surprise.  I found his talks on music absolutely fascinating.  Bernstein was both knowledgeable and articulate, and never talked down to the audience.  He covered a wide variety of music -- not just the classical music for which he's most remembered, but also musical comedies, jazz, and blues, with rock music also used as examples in at least one or two shows.  (He even sang and played the then-current Association hit, "Along Comes Mary.")  He always treated the non-classical musical genres with the same respect that he treated the classical examples.

I'm glad that TCM took a few nights to pay tribute to one of the leading American cultural figures of the 20th Century.  On those TV shows, Bernstein was trying to broaden the viewers' horizons, letting the audience know that, to quote Duke Ellington, "If it sounds good, it is good."  I'm sure Bernstein would be the first to say that folks can make up their own minds about what sounds good to them -- he was no musical dictator, as his own broad musical tastes showed.

When I was a kid, I was only interested in rock music.  My mom tried to force-feed her beloved classical music to me, but it didn't really stick at the time.  Over the decades since then, however, I've gradually come to like many more types of music because I was open to listening for appealing melodies, harmonies, and rhythms in jazz, folk, blues, old-time, country, and, yes, classical.  (Although my mom didn't have immediate success, I later realized that the classical music she always had on the radio had become as familiar to me as the rock hits that I played on my own favorite stations.  Thanks, mom!)

I can see why the lack of movies on Saturday and Sunday nights might disappoint some folks.  And I wouldn't want TCM to preempt film-related programming too often.  But in this case, they got it right -- for me, anyway.

Bravo, TCM!

• Like 8

I didn't watch, and I found the whole thing a little odd, given Bernstein's very tenuous connections to the movie world. But TCM has many hours to fill, and this was definitely something different and unique. There's nowhere else you would see these concerts on TV except maybe PBS. I think for one weekend out of the network's quarter-century history, we can appreciate the effort to think outside the box. I've been aware of these concerts since I was a child, but have never seen them. I don't know if they're available on DVD? As I say, it still didn't interest me enough to actually WATCH, but I like the idea of it.

4 minutes ago, Stevomachino said:

The only other film for which he received a composer credit was West Side Story. ...

On The Town (1949) used significant portions of the score that Bernstein, with his close friends Betty Comden and Adolph Green, wrote for the Broadway show of the same name.  MGM, however, replaced some of the original Bernstein/Comden/Green score with new songs co-written by MGM's own Roger Edens.  Not the first time that a Broadway composer had original songs replaced in the movie version (see Cole Porter and The Gay Divorcee).

And Hitchcock's Rear Window used a bit of Bernstein's Fancy Free ballet music.

• Like 1

Wondered about the Leonard Bernstein tribute; is it likely its part of the two year centennial of his birth (August 1918), which kicked off last year (according to the official Leonard Bernstein website)? I understand he was one of the first great American conductors, a great philanthropist and contributor to music but perhaps TCM could have introduced this part of their programming in a different way.

Now, now, now...let's not be plebeians!

I was most impressed with Gershwin fan's mature and worldly attitude toward this programming, and shall follow her lead and adopt the same open-minded stance.

I'll admit I only watched a bit, but I actually was getting a kick out of seeing "agitated children" in the audience, proving once again that you can lead someone to culture, but you can't make them smile.

Surely no one here couldn't find a book to read or a person to talk to on the phone during the Bernstein invasion, even if it did last three days? Do you not have friends, do you not have relatives, do you not have at least a neighbor you could shoot the breeze with and find out what's happening locally?

But of course, if this truly was a moneymaking and commercially inclined plot by Spielberg, then I am totally against it, since I haven't liked him since his "Night Gallery" episode with Joan Crawford. Thanks for listening and I will say I did admire Leonard's amazingly attactive hair, which puts others to shame.

P.S. I also blame you all for not having backup material to entertain you, when something like this occurs to ruin your days. I had just gotten my boxed set of the tv series, "The Invaders" with Roy Thinnes on Wednesday, so got to watch a marathon of the two-year cult alien invader show all weekend. Blame all yourselves for bad planning and not being prepared...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spence said:

I agree is was a bit too much  & can somebody tell me & others what other motion picture scores he did except the powerful 1954 *ON THE WATERFRONT?

No, and even though some will lie to you, he's not related to Washington Post Watergate reporter, Carl Bernstein either, who pronounces it differently, Spence.

• Haha 1

I caught up with my reading. I wondered why, then found out it's his 100th anniversary. Seemed a bit excessive, but then it was nice to read again (rained over the wknd, so didnt have to water. HEAVEN!)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

No, and even though some will lie to you, he's not related to Washington Post Watergate reporter, Carl Bernstein either, who pronounces it differently, Spence.

Now a whole weekend of ELMER, and I'd have no complaints!

(I can't be the first to say that, right?)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

How many times in a weekend could you play "Elmer's Tune" with Peggy Lee and Benny Goodman, Lorna?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmM0_Ilaww8

26 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

How many times in a weekend could you play "Elmer's Tune" with Peggy Lee and Benny Goodman, Lorna?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmM0_Ilaww8

Freaky, that was JUST ON my Sirius 1940s channel.

• Like 1

I have to throw out the while I was sick this weekend, and laid up, I watched 2/3 of WEST SIDE STORY.

I have never once seen this movie in entirety. Oh, I have entirely seen it, just not from start to finish. I've seen all of it in pieces here and there. I'm sorry. I know that's wrong.

in spite of a lot of faults, and a lot of reasons why I shouldn't like it, I do. However, that doesn't mean that every single damn time I watch it I don't wonder who in the hell Rusty Tamblyn said "no" to that they gave Beymer the lead and not him. 

Seriously Tamblyn >>>>>>Beymer in all respects. 

I also noticed how Unnecessarily disparaging of Puerto Rico the AMERICA number is.

I also crack up every single time during the A BOY LIKE THAT Number because of an old MST 3K reference "?A werewolf like dat, he keel your brother!!?"

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Freaky, that was JUST ON my Sirius 1940s channel.

Excuse me for reading your mind, Lorna!

I see everything you say, do and think...be scared, be very scared.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

LOL! That would be ok.........