Sign in to follow this  
Zea

REALLY? TWO-DAYS OF LEONARD BERNSTEIN?

149 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:P

"Reacted" with the "laugh" emoticon because based on the info from your link, KLUX seems as if maybe it's the Dutch word for MUZAK!  ;)  Or maybe too, that the  East of the Mississippi call letters would be.....

WDDS.  ;)  or WSNR ("SNORE radio on your dial....").

Sepiatone

In my youth, AM had the best DJs and music. FM was packed, in the San Francisco area anyway, with numerous beautiful music stations. I love relaxing instrumentals. KLUX mixes in soft vocals.

In my opinion, country music changed so more people would like it. Same goes for Contemporary Christian (K-LOVE) and Smooth Jazz. When it comes to music, I am not Y2K friendly.

1 hour ago, jimmymac21 said:

I love relaxing instrumentals.

Since you love 'relaxing instrumentals',  don't you know Smooth Jazz? 

Of course there is a fine line between relaxing and boring (or uninspiring) music.   I tend to find Smooth Jazz to be both.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Since you love 'relaxing instrumentals',  don't you know Smooth Jazz? 

Of course there is a fine line between relaxing and boring (or uninspiring) music.   I tend to find Smooth Jazz to be both.   

We do have a local Smooth Jazz station. I am okay with it. I might buy a Diana Krall LP, just for the cover. She has a nice voice too.

I like Diane Schuur. Fond of Terri Gibbs too. Yes, both are blind.

Was listening to Classical KDFC yesterday. Dianne was cute to tell us the Basset Horn is by no means related to the Basset Hound.

When terrestrial radio is my only option, Classical KDFC is my go to station.

Based on previous comments James, you might be able to listen to KDFC over-the-air. For me, 'real' jazz and classic are similar in the fact they lack an annoying structure.

If it can play on a turntable, chances are I will listen. Sometimes, in small doses.

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. I just read where Kelsey Grammer is in serious negotiations to bring a new FRASIER back to the air.

2. Why don't you just go to wherever he is buried and spit right on Adrian's Zmed's grave, you animal. HOOKER WAS A GOOD COP !!!!!!!!

(PS, kidding with number two, but serious about number one)

I've heard rumors about a new Frasier too. Frasier was the kind of guy who would bash

the hell out of Trump for his bad taste and ignorance and then suck up to him like crazy if

he met him in person. Good old Toe Jam. I'm happy to report that Zmed is still vertical.

He has returned to his first love, the theater and will play the title role in King Lear later

this summer after filming is completed on Grease III: This Time It's Almost Personal. As

soon as the theme music for Hooker starts after Perry Mason, I make a quick channel 

change on the remote.

39 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I've heard rumors about a new Frasier too. Frasier was the kind of guy who would bash

the hell out of Trump for his bad taste and ignorance and then suck up to him like crazy if

he met him in person. Good old Toe Jam. I'm happy to report that Zmed is still vertical.

He has returned to his first love, the theater and will play the title role in King Lear later

this summer after filming is completed on Grease III: This Time It's Almost Personal. As

soon as the theme music for Hooker starts after Perry Mason, I make a quick channel 

change on the remote.

You just made me laugh out loud at Starbucks and everyone is looking at me funny.

thank you

Haven't you heard Kelsey Grammer has gone Rogue?

BTW-- I'm currently on the third episode of the first season of Perry Mason ( fall 1957).  Before I finish this could take a while.LOL

41 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

change on the remote.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You just made me laugh out loud at Starbucks and everyone is looking at me funny.

thank you

I thought everybody else in Starbucks would be glued to their own electronic devices.

Yes, I remember reading that Grammar was a conservative, though I don't think he's

way out there like a James Woods. I know Frasier is only a character on a TV show, but

it's really hard to like that guy. Just when you start to he does something really obnoxious

...again.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Haven't you heard Kelsey Grammer has gone Rogue?

BTW-- I'm currently on the third episode of the first season of Perry Mason ( fall 1957).  Before I finish this could take a while.LOL

Do you mean politically? I got the impression that he was a rather conventional

conservative without most of the nutty trimmings. The DirecTV channel that

shows Perry Mason is now around the second season. They run four episodes

a day, seven days a week, so it doesn't take long to get through it. The first

couple of seasons are the most entertaining to me since they still have that

1950s vibe that the later seasons don't. Every other episode is like a miniature

Peyton Place with adulteries, out of wedlock children, financial shenanigans, and

of course murder. And Perry and Paul Drake were a little on the shady side on

occasion. Raymond Burr was even on the thin side, at least compared to the

end of the show when he looked like a human/tank hybrid. Huge.

24 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Yes, I remember reading that Grammar was a conservative, though I don't think he's

way out there like a James Woods.

Kelsey Grammar was in An American Carol along with Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, and Robert Davi, which is a quick indicator for an actor being far right. Leslie Nielsen was in it, too, but as a favor to director David Zucker. Granted, that was 10 years ago, but from what I've read, Grammar is still far right, only he's better at keeping a low profile than bat**** crazy Woods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Do you mean politically? I got the impression that he was a rather conventional

conservative without most of the nutty trimmings. The DirecTV channel that

shows Perry Mason is now around the second season. They run four episodes

a day, seven days a week, so it doesn't take long to get through it. The first

couple of seasons are the most entertaining to me since they still have that

1950s vibe that the later seasons don't. Every other episode is like a miniature

Peyton Place with adulteries, out of wedlock children, financial shenanigans, and

of course murder. And Perry and Paul Drake were a little on the shady side on

occasion. Raymond Burr was even on the thin side, at least compared to the

end of the show when he looked like a human/tank hybrid. Huge.

What you're seeing on the earlier episodes are teleplays based on the actual Erlel Stanley Gardner stories. Gardner had control and the power to object to any script that he didn't like for the entire series. He produced the series in coordination with CBS.

When you get to the very last episode you can see him portraying the judge.

The reason you see four episodes in a day is because that's how many episodes they have on each DVD disc. I'm watching One A Day because four would be too much for me. LOL

For the most part this summer I've been watching the 2-hour color Mini movies. I really get a kick out of seeing Barbara Hale's son working with her.

As for Raymond Burr, he was quite a handsome and svelt man when he started the series.

Near the end of the miniseries run I don't believe he was able to walk very much because they generally had him seated in a chair or he always had to have a cane.

And BTW Perry and Paul Drake were usually at the scene of the murder before the police but they never had to break in because the door was always unlocked. LOL

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ps- Kelsey Grammer is a big time Conservative tho. 

I know, I was surprised too.

I had heard that this happened around the time of 9/11. Apparently someone close to him had been a victim of the attack.

Whatever his politics, Kelsey Grammer has a history of psychological and emotional instability. I can imagine that this was something that set him back a great deal.

50 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I had heard that this happened around the time of 9/11. Apparently someone close to him had been a victim of the attack.

Whatever his politics, Kelsey Grammer has a history of psychological and emotional instability. I can imagine that this was something that set him back a great deal.

fundamental human reason rears it's head in Hollywood celeb land.

:D

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Kelsey Grammar was in An American Carol along with Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, and Robert Davi, which is a quick indicator for an actor being far right. Leslie Nielsen was in it, too, but as a favor to director David Zucker. Granted, that was 10 years ago, but from what I've read, Grammar is still far right, only he's better at keeping a low profile than bat**** crazy Woods.

I guess Grammer is from the family values side of the conservative spectrum. Four marriages

so far. One better than Trump, Gingrich, and Giuliani. And he certainly isn't out there in public

like Woods. Of course Grammer still has a career left, unlike Mr. Woods. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

What you're seeing on the earlier episodes are teleplays based on the actual Erlel Stanley Gardner stories. Gardner had control and the power to object to any script that he didn't like for the entire series. He produced the series in coordination with CBS.

When you get to the very last episode you can see him portraying the judge.

The reason you see four episodes in a day is because that's how many episodes they have on each DVD disc. I'm watching One A Day because four would be too much for me. LOL

For the most part this summer I've been watching the 2-hour color Mini movies. I really get a kick out of seeing Barbara Hale's son working with her.

As for Raymond Burr, he was quite a handsome and svelt man when he started the series.

Near the end of the miniseries run I don't believe he was able to walk very much because they generally had him seated in a chair or he always had to have a cane.

And BTW Perry and Paul Drake were usually at the scene of the murder before the police but they never had to break in because the door was always unlocked. LOL

I guess ESG liked lowlifes. The last episode was shown a few weeks ago. Now we're back to

1958. I don't know if there is any connection between the DVDs and the TV programming,

especially as the TV ones are edited. I don't watch the two in the afternoon, just the two

at night. And it's funny how often Lt. Tragg shows up at the scene of the crime and in

other places just a minute or two after Perry does. 

12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

thank you

DAMN!  Get OUTA there before they call the COPS!   :D

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

In my youth, AM had the best DJs and music. FM was packed, in the San Francisco area anyway, with numerous beautiful music stations. I love relaxing instrumentals. KLUX mixes in soft vocals.

In my opinion, country music changed so more people would like it. Same goes for Contemporary Christian (K-LOVE) and Smooth Jazz. When it comes to music, I am not Y2K friendly.

Yeah, 'round here too, FM, back in the '50's and to the late '60's was mostly classical( that WQRS I mentioned was on FM for years....) news and some foreign stations.  Then in the fall of '67, WABX, one of those "underground hippie" rock stations started up.  Funny now, when I recall, at first, the station would sign on, still WABX( the call letters were that long BEFORE the "hippie-rock" music came about  ;)  ) at 6:00 am with a few hours of local and world news.  Then about 10:00 am there'd be "The Greek Hour", full of Greek news and music until noon, when the "hippie rock" would start and go on for the next 12 hours when the whole station "signed off" at midnight, then at 6:00 am next morning would start all over again.  ;)   And yeah, I know that from 10:00 am till noon is TWO hours, but they called it the "Greek Hour" regardless.  ;)   By mid '68 the station went to 24 hour broadcasting, and all of it "underground" rock, and lasted 10 more years until it changed both format and letters.  I'm not sure WHAT 95.5 FM calls itself these days.

And too, through much of the '70's, Detroit FM band had a few "easy listening" stations.  You know, mostly instrumentals and instrumental versions of some old time popular tunes(MUZAK in other words).  I had an old early version of a digital clock radio/alarm that I let my kids use.  And whenever one of them got sick, or couldn't sleep because of a "tummy ache" or something, they'd ask if I could tune the radio to the "boring station" in order for them to be lulled to sleep.  ;)   I'm thinking(maybe) this is what you mean when you reference "beautiful" music. B)

Sepiatone

On 7/29/2018 at 9:09 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. I just read where Kelsey Grammer is in serious negotiations to bring a new FRASIER back to the air.

2. Why don't you just go to wherever he is buried and spit right on Adrian's Zmed's grave, you animal. HOOKER WAS A GOOD COP !!!!!!!!

(PS, kidding with number two, but serious about number one)

KILL ME NOW. Didnt they beat the original series to death by being on the air WAY too long? What could they possibly bring to it now????  (FRASIER)

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2018 at 2:12 PM, Zea said:

One entire Sat. evening was more than enough. Now I see there's another evening dedicated to Leonard Bernstein & concerts. Is this really TCM-worthy? And if for some inexplicable reason (to me) it is...is it really worth two nights?

This year is what would be Leonard Bernstein's 100th birthday.  That's why there are so many of Leonard Bernstein's films being shown, not only on TCM, but in revival movie theatres, as well.

On 7/23/2018 at 5:24 PM, CaveGirl said:

Never cared much for Beymer in those days, but he made a great comeback playing a sleazeball in "Twin Peaks". I woulda never thought he had it in him, after seeing him in WSS.

I used to think that Richard Beymer was sort of a weak, lackluster Tony, but, fairly recently (afew years ago), I learned some things about Richard Beymer that made me more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his depiction of Tony in the 1961 film version of West Side Story:

A)  Richard Beymer would've liked to play a Tony with a little bit more of an "edge" to him, if one gets the drift, but, due to certain directorial constraints that were placed  upon him by (the late) Robert Wise, and due to how the original scripts of both the original Broadway stage production and the 1961 film version of West Side Story were written, he was not able to, since a "softer, more tender and gentle Tony" was required.  In fact, Richard Beymer was so upset by seeing how he was forced to play Tony in the film West Side Story that he actually walked out during the Premiere of it when it first came out.

b)  Natalie Wood, who was dating Warren Beatty at the time, made absolutely no secret of her hostility towards Richard Beymer.  Beymer was pained by Natalie Wood's hostility towards him, and it showed, somewhat.  

C)  Natalie Wood actually attempted to get Richard Beymer kicked off of the set on several occasions, as well.  

D)  The Beymer-bashing in many circles has gotten out of hand.

E)  Towards the end, Richard Beymer played the old "street" Tony that re-emerged when he stabbed the Shark gang leader, Bernardo to death, in retaliation for his having stabbed his close buddy, Riff, during the Rumble, and the fact that he climbed over the fence and flipped over the top when Anybodys finally made him aware of the dangers and that the police were in the area, searching for the Jets and Sharks.

F)  When the film West Side Story is shown on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, Richard Beymer, like all of the other characters in this great classic movie-musical,  comes off as being even stronger, more vital, and alive, if one gets the drift.

G)  Richard Beymer and Natalie Wood met by chance some years later, in a California diner.  Richard Beymer approached Natalie Wood, was attracted to her, and they made up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, miki said:

I used to think that Richard Beymer was sort of a weak, lackluster Tony, but, fairly recently (afew years ago), I learned some things about Richard Beymer that made me more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his depiction of Tony in the 1961 film version of West Side Story:

A)  Richard Beymer would've liked to play a Tony with a little bit more of an "edge" to him, if one gets the drift, but, due to certain directorial constraints that were placed  upon him by (the late) Robert Wise, and due to how the original scripts of both the original Broadway stage production and the 1961 film version of West Side Story were written, he was not able to, since a "softer, more tender and gentle Tony" was required.  In fact, Richard Beymer was so upset by seeing how he was forced to play Tony in the film West Side Story that he actually walked out during the Premiere of it when it first came out.

b)  Natalie Wood, who was dating Warren Beatty at the time, made absolutely no secret of her hostility towards Richard Beymer.  Beymer was pained by Natalie Wood's hostility towards him, and it showed, somewhat.  

C)  Natalie Wood actually attempted to get Richard Beymer kicked off of the set on several occasions, as well.  

D)  The Beymer-bashing in many circles has gotten out of hand.

E)  Towards the end, Richard Beymer played the old "street" Tony that re-emerged when he stabbed the Shark gang leader, Bernardo to death, in retaliation for his having stabbed his close buddy, Riff, during the Rumble, and the fact that he climbed over the fence and flipped over the top when Anybodys finally made him aware of the dangers and that the police were in the area, searching for the Jets and Sharks.

F)  When the film West Side Story is shown on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, Richard Beymer, like all of the other characters in this great classic movie-musical,  comes off as being even stronger, more vital, and alive, if one gets the drift.

G)  Richard Beymer and Natalie Wood met by chance some years later, in a California diner.  Richard Beymer approached Natalie Wood, was attracted to her, and they made up.

That was absolutely fascinating information and I thank you profusely for posting it. I knew nothing of the background of this scenario and your comments were very insightful. It does make sense, since Beymer's acting chops were so pronounced in "Twin Peaks" that I did think it was amazing since he seemed a bit bland in WSS, but now I understand why. It is too bad he was made to be so rather overly sweet and without any edge. Again, much appreciation for sharing your knowledge with me and all of us!

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2018 at 2:55 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

thank you

Is this a coffee everywhere moment? About Fraser. In Cheers he was a shrink. In Fraser, he was a radio shrink. Either way, they can't be trusted. A Fraser reboot goes in the same trash can for me as Rosanne. I am eager to see Murphy Brown, and sort of okay with Last Man Standing. I miss The Neighbors from ABC. We just don't have enough shows about extraterrestrials on TV these days. 

nanu.jpg

27 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

Is this a coffee everywhere moment? About Fraser. In Cheers he was a shrink. In Fraser, he was a radio shrink. Either way, they can't be trusted. A Fraser reboot goes in the same trash can for me as Rosanne. I am eager to see Murphy Brown, and sort of okay with Last Man Standing. I miss The Neighbors from ABC. We just don't have enough shows about extraterrestrials on TV these days. 

Not following you here;  Who can't be trusted?   Shrinks?   T.V.  producers for being a Fraser reboot?

Yea, just saw the commercial for Murphy Brown;   I assume the main story line will follow the #MeToo movement; i.e. yea,  30 years ago we were saying look how far we have come and that we were going places as it relates to women being treated as equals,,,,,,  and NOW,,,,  oh,,,,,  we didn't get a far as we predicted.

I've been watching a lot of 'old' T.V. especially westerns like The Rifleman,  Gunsmoke (early 30 minute episodes in B&W) etc..  and there are many that focus on racial and gender (women rights),  issue.   All of them end with the positive message of social justice and that the 'old way' of thinking was flat out wrong.    Sadly 50 years later this type of message-programming appears to still be necessary and relevant.  

46 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Not following you here;  Who can't be trusted?   Shrinks?   T.V.  producers for being a Fraser reboot?

Yea, just saw the commercial for Murphy Brown;   I assume the main story line will follow the #MeToo movement; i.e. yea,  30 years ago we were saying look how far we have come and that we were going places as it relates to women being treated as equals,,,,,,  and NOW,,,,  oh,,,,,  we didn't get a far as we predicted.

I've been watching a lot of 'old' T.V. especially westerns like The Rifleman,  Gunsmoke (early 30 minute episodes in B&W) etc..  and there are many that focus on racial and gender (women rights),  issue.   All of them end with the positive message of social justice and that the 'old way' of thinking was flat out wrong.    Sadly 50 years later this type of message-programming appears to still be necessary and relevant.  

Shrinks and radio people. My sense of humor was trying to sneak out a little. I enjoy Candice Bergen. She was great in Boston Legal. The promo from Murphy Brown looks funny. It has been a really long time since the show was on. I'm a little rusty. I would think her character will remain the strong female type. When it comes to older TV, I sort of prefer comedy. We lost MeTV and AntennaTV in the SF Bay Area. I don't watch Cozi. I would probably find "All In The Family" lame at this point. I use to watch "Maude," and it was okay. Classic TV feels different now, since times are different.

I only have Xfinity cable, seldom use the DVR, and don't stream ... yet. I would be interested in a cord cutting thread here. Not sure if others would be interested.