Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,525 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be "The Window" with Bobby Driscoll as a young boy who witnesses a murder, but no one will believe him?

You got it Miles, the film is THE WINDOW. Eddie Muller said that the film was shot during a freezing cold winter in Manhattan. The film takes place during a hot summer in Manhattan, so hot that Bobby Driscoll's character sleeps on the firescape, that's when he witnesses the murder. Eddie said that between takes, the actors were given hot soup to warm up and there is one scene in the film that you can see their breath when they speak because it's so cold. I've seen this film multiple times over the years and I never would have thought that the film was shot at anytime other than a hot summer.  Driscoll was given a special juvenille Oscar for his excellent performance.

Good work Miles, your thread

Thanks, Lav.  I would have thought that "The Window" would have been filmed in Hollywood, using New York street scenes from a studio back lot.

Now, an actor had a small role in a 1940's movie that featured a well known band leader and his big band.  More than a decade later, that same actor appeared in a movie biography about that same band leader.  Can you name both the actor and the band leader?

16 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.  I would have thought that "The Window" would have been filmed in Hollywood, using New York street scenes from a studio back lot.

Now, an actor had a small role in a 1940's movie that featured a well known band leader and his big band.  More than a decade later, that same actor appeared in a movie biography about that same band leader.  Can you name both the actor and the band leader?

Glenn Miller appeared in Orchestra Wives and the film The Glenn Miller Story was made more than a decade later. The actor who appeared in both was Harry Morgan (Henry)

You are correct, Lavender.  Harry Morgan, then billed as Henry Morgan, played a soda jerk in "Orchestra Wives".  Some twelve years later, in "The Glenn Miller Story", he played Glenn's friend, Chummy.  Nice work, Lav.  You're up next.  

Thanks Miles :)

1950's famous film had many retakes because one of the actors made the rest of the cast laugh constantly.

Film and actor who made the cast crack up causing all the retakes ??

21 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

I think I read that Danny Kaye kept breaking up the cast and crew during the making of White Christmas.

Good work Star, it was indeed Danny Kaye cracking everyone up on the set of White Christmas causing many, many retakes. Your thread Star  :D

If you mean his fav actresses whether they were in a film with him or not then I've read that Elizabeth Taylor and Katharine Hepburn were his favorite actresses?? Not sure if you mean 2 actresses who were his leading ladies in his films, or just his favorite leading ladies ????? Liz I don't think was ever in a film with him, Katharine of course was., Maureen O'Hara would be the obvious choice if you mean they were in films with him. So, need clarification.

I can see why my description was confusing.  What I have in mind is his two favorite leading ladies in his movies.

9 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I can see why my description was confusing.  What I have in mind is his two favorite leading ladies in his movies.

Gail Russell and Maureen O'Hara?

I already said that Maureen O'Hara would be my obvious guess and since you clarified your original post I still say Katharine Hepburn  since she was in a film with him and here is the reason why I'll guess her

lf%2B%25289%2529%2B%25282%2529%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Well, it seems that Ms. Hepburn is a logical guess for this.  The actress I have in mind made several movies with Wayne and the two were close personal friends as well.

• Confused 1

So are you verifying Maureen as one? or someone else? Katharine is the other, and you're looking for another actress besides those 2? Then I'll give Claire Trevor a shot ? You need to confirm if Maureen is one since Lawrence and I both answered Maureen. He also guessed Gail Russell and you wrote he's 1/2 right. So is the half right Maureen?

• Like 1

Well, I'm glad this is finally over.  Yes, the women were Maureen and Claire.  I could make a couple of comments on this subject, but let's just put it to rest.  Lavender, it's yours.

Originally this Oscar winning and multiple Oscar nominated director had planned to cast this real life father and daughter for a film. The director was replaced by another director who cast another real life father daughter for this film instead. Both directors, both fathers and daughters and the title of the film ??????? 

28 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Originally this Oscar winning and multiple Oscar nominated director had planned to cast this real life father and daughter for a film. The director was replaced by another director who cast another real life father daughter for this film instead. Both directors, both fathers and daughters and the title of the film ??????? 

Originally John Huston was going to direct Paul Newman and his daughter Nell Potts.

The Peter Bogdanovich took over and cast Ryan O'Neal and his daughter Tatum O'Neal.

The movie was Paper Moon.

20 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Originally John Huston was going to direct Paul Newman and his daughter Nell Potts.

The Peter Bogdanovich took over and cast Ryan O'Neal and his daughter Tatum O'Neal.

The movie was Paper Moon.

I figured this one was going to go down quickly. Your answer is totally correct. Good work Lawrence, it's your thread :) ps Many, Many years ago I met Peter Bogdanovich at a MoMA film retrospective

• Like 1

This movie was in the planning for nearly 25 years before finally hitting screens. The legendary writer-director, adapting a story from a noted British author and poet, either couldn't find the backing or couldn't settle on the stars. The lead characters had to be played by two charismatic leading men. Some of the biggest names in show business were linked to the parts.

Name the movie, the director, the author of the source material, and at least three of the potential pairings of stars linked to the movie, along with the two who eventually did star in it.

17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

This movie was in the planning for nearly 25 years before finally hitting screens. The legendary writer-director, adapting a story from a noted British author and poet, either couldn't find the backing or couldn't settle on the stars. The lead characters had to be played by two charismatic leading men. Some of the biggest names in show business were linked to the parts.

Name the movie, the director, the author of the source material, and at least three of the potential pairings of stars linked to the movie, along with the two who eventually did star in it.

The movie is The Man Who Would Be King, adapted from a Rudyard Kipling short story of the same name, directed by John Huston. I believe he originally had Bogart and Gable in mind for the lead roles, then Peter 0'Toole and Richard Burton, Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Sean Connery and Michael Caine were finally selected, with Christopher Plummer playing Kipling. What a terrific movie. "The mountains were high and the mules most contrary."