Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,525 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

The movie is The Man Who Would Be King, adapted from a Rudyard Kipling short story of the same name, directed by John Huston. I believe he originally had Bogart and Gable in mind for the lead roles, then Peter 0'Toole and Richard Burton, Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Sean Connery and Michael Caine were finally selected, with Christopher Plummer playing Kipling. What a terrific movie. "The mountains were high and the mules most contrary."

That's correct, Thenryb. I've also read that Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas were discussed as starring, in between the Bogie & Gable and Burton & O'Toole suggestions.

Your thread!

Edit: One final comment: as much as I love the duo in the final film, I would like to have seen it with every proposed duo. They all sound like fun in those roles.

In this movie, a sheriff investigates the fatal beating on a local land baron's ranch. Name the movie and the two major stars.

6 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

This sounds like it could be "Man in the Shadow" with Jeff Chandler and Orson Welles.

That is it. The thread is yours, Terrence.

The movie was Days of Wine and Roses and the actress, Piper Laurie.

This came as a surprise to me.  I never heard that Piper Laurie was supposed to be in that movie.  I'll go ahead and give this you , Thenryb.  I was thinking of her replacing Lana Turner in "Anatomy of a Murder".

2 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

This came as a surprise to me.  I never heard that Piper Laurie was supposed to be in that movie.  I'll go ahead and give this you , Thenryb.  I was thinking of her replacing Lana Turner in "Anatomy of a Murder".

Well, this makes me question my own answer. Upon reflection, I am not at all sure Piper Laurie was ever supposed to be in the movie. She and Cliff Robertson starred in the Playhouse 90 production on TV, but that does not mean Lee Remick "replaced" her in the movie anymore than Jack Lemmon "replaced" Cliff Robertson. Clearly, Remick replaced Lana Turner in Anatomy of a Murder.

I guess I will go ahead and accept your gift of the thread just to keep it going.

The movie I have in mind is a post Civil War western. The lead character is a sheriff in a New Mexico town who is called upon to arrest an old friend suspected of a bank robbery who has newly arrived in town. Name the movie and the lead actor.

Hint: The Sheriff has a residual disability from his participation in the Civil War.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:43 PM, Thenryb said:

Hint: The Sheriff has a residual disability from his participation in the Civil War.

Thenryb, it's been a week since the last clue

This hint will likely give it away, but anyway:

Hint: The residual disability related to his vision.

Hint: Strother Martin plays a Deputy to a sheriff from another county who is investigating the bank robbery.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:20 PM, Thenryb said:

Well, this makes me question my own answer. Upon reflection, I am not at all sure Piper Laurie was ever supposed to be in the movie. She and Cliff Robertson starred in the Playhouse 90 production on TV, but that does not mean Lee Remick "replaced" her in the movie anymore than Jack Lemmon "replaced" Cliff Robertson. Clearly, Remick replaced Lana Turner in Anatomy of a Murder.

I guess I will go ahead and accept your gift of the thread just to keep it going.

The movie I have in mind is a post Civil War western. The lead character is a sheriff in a New Mexico town who is called upon to arrest an old friend suspected of a bank robbery who has newly arrived in town. Name the movie and the lead actor.

Black Patch ? George Montgomery

That is it! The thread (which probably ought to be consolidated with three or so other redundant threads) is yours.

Actually, this thread is about movie trivia, not identifying a film.Your question certainly could be posed in Name the Movie rather than Movie trivia. Yes, there are redundant threads, however some have gone into oblivion LOL. Many posters just show up, post a new thread then disappear. Best to just pick and chose which thread you want, since I doubt the mods would consolidate threads. What I find more irritating is changing the rules. I wish posters would click on page 1 to read what the OP wrote as the way they wanted their thread to be handled. :)

We had a power outage here for 24 hrs and my computer is acting up. Very slow. I will try to post a question later.

• Like 3

A billboard that's seen in a movie mentions the name of a politician. In real life, the former husband of the lead actress of the film actually has the same name as the name mentioned on the billboard seen in the film.

Film, actress, husband and the name on the billboard ????

A billboard that's seen in a movie mentions the name of a politician. In real life, the former husband of the lead actress of the film actually has the same first and last name as the name mentioned on the billboard seen in the film.

Film, actress, husband and the name on the billboard ???? (extra for the title held by the name on the billboard)

A billboard that's seen in a movie mentions the name of a politician. In real life, the former husband of the lead actress of the film actually has the same first and last name as the name mentioned on the billboard seen in the film.

Film, actress, husband and the name on the billboard ???? (extra for the title held by the name on the billboard)

Sorry for the extra postings of my question. My computer is out of whack, acting very slow so I can't tell if something posts.

On 3/10/2018 at 9:56 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Quoting the question so we can start from here. Adding that the real life ex husband (at that time )whose first and last name is the same as the politician 's name on the billboard in the film is also an actor