Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,525 posts in this topic

Lavender, I think your last clue has led me to the answer.  I think the movie is "Love With The Proper Stranger" with Natalie Wood.  The movie was made in 1963.  Natalie had divorced Robert Wagner in 1962.  They remarried each other in 1972.  The mayor of New York at that time was named Robert Wagner.  I remember promos for the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair that featured Mayor Wagner.  So the title on the billboards must have been Mayor.

Image result for new york mayor wagner 

Mayor Robert Wagner of New York

Do I get the extra credit?  I sure could use it.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Lavender, I think your last clue has led me to the answer.  I think the movie is "Love With The Proper Stranger" with Natalie Wood.  The movie was made in 1963.  Natalie had divorced Robert Wagner in 1962.  They remarried each other in 1972.  The mayor of New York at that time was named Robert Wagner.  I remember promos for the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair that featured Mayor Wagner.  So the title on the billboards must have been Mayor.

Image result for new york mayor wagner 

Mayor Robert Wagner of New York

Do I get the extra credit?  I sure could use it.

Absolutely you get extra credit. I remember Mayor Robert Wagner, I grew up in NY, any NY baby boomer would remember Mayor Wagner. Isn't it interesting that in the scene in the film, Natalie is in a taxi on her way back from the abortionist, the camera shows a billboard with Mayor Robert Wagner's name on it.
Wonder was it done on purpose, showing that billboard or a coincidence? My feeling is that it must have been on purpose since they must have noticed the billboard . Love With The Proper Stranger was nominated for 5 Oscars, Natalie received a Best Actress nomination. Natalie and Robert's divorce was a year before the film's release and of course we know they remarried some years later.

Thanks Miles, good work, your thread ;)

Thanks, Lav.  Lots of movies have been filmed in New York.  Harold Lloyd made one on location there with hidden cameras used for some scenes so that people passing by would not know there was a movie being filmed.  The movie also featured an appearance by a well known celebrity of the day.  Can you name that movie?  I'll give extra credit for the name of that celebrity guest.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:09 AM, MilesArcher said:

Here's a hint:  Hidden cameras were used when Coney Island was the filming location.

Speedy, with a cameo by Lou Gehrig?

"Speedy" is the correct movie, but it's not Lou Gehrig who appeared.  Check out this clip:

Arsan, it's your turn now.

This character actress was a star on Broadway and on radio before becoming a fixture in Hollywood.

Despite her own distinguished career, her main claim to fame may be how she mentored one of Hollywood's greatest actors in the 1920s in a touring repertory company. Already having a Broadway reputation, she gave him professional clout and his first opportunity for theatrical recognition by playing opposite her.

Years later in the 1940s, she worked as a supporting actress at the Golden Age Studio where he was one of its biggest stars.

She appeared in two of his movies, which he starred in and also gave great support to Judy Garland, Jane Powell and Elizabeth Taylor, in several movies.

When you identify this actress,  please also name her protegé--who became a big star-- 

1 film the two of them appeared in together and

1 film where she appeared with 1 of those "young" MGM Stars mentioned above.

I'm thinking it's Selena Royle and her protege was Spencer Tracy.  She appeared in Cass Timberlane with him.  She also appeared with Judy Garland in The Harvey Girls and with both Jane Powell and Elizabeth Taylor in A Date with Judy

On 4/3/2018 at 3:24 PM, starliteyes said:

I'm thinking it's Selena Royle and her protege was Spencer Tracy.  She appeared in Cass Timberlane with him.  She also appeared with Judy Garland in The Harvey Girls and with both Jane Powell and Elizabeth Taylor in A Date with Judy

Princess, is this right?

On 4/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, starliteyes said:

I'm sorry I forgot all about this one, after Helen Westley.

Selena was the one and Spencer apparently never forgot her.

She was beautiful with Judy in  The Harvey Girls.

Star-- You really earned this next turn!

The female star of this film recommended the actor she was dating at the time as her co-star in a movie.  A couple of years later, she would win an Oscar for Best Actress and he won the Oscar for Best Actor, but not for the same film.

Name the actress, actor, movie they co-starred in and their Oscar winning movies.

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

The female star of this film recommended the actor she was dating at the time as her co-star in a movie.  A couple of years later, she would win an Oscar for Best Actress and he won the Oscar for Best Actor, but not for the same film.

Name the actress, actor, movie they co-starred in and their Oscar winning movies.

Ginger Rogers, James Stewart, Vivacious Lady (1938), and then in 1940 they won Best Actress and Best Actor for Kitty Foyle and The Philadelphia Story, respectively. 

In this film romance, the two leads play classical musicians. While the lead actress could play her instrument well enough to get the hand placement correct for filming (the actual music was performed by professionals), the male lead had no skill at all with his instrument. The filmmakers settled on using a professional musician who looked similar enough to the leading man that he could stand-in during long shots, as well as performing the hands-only close-ups. 

Name the movie and the leads.

A Song of Love Is the story of Richard and Clara Schumann.

Katharine Hepburn played Clara and could actually play the piano-- so she did her own piano "lip syncing" to recordings from the professional pianist.

And Richard was played by Paul Henreid. He had to have both his hands and playing done by the professional.

Few people realize that Clara was a very talented composer, as well as a concert pianist.

Robert Walker played the extraordinarily talented Brahms, who was unlucky in love.

8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I think you mean Robert Schumann. Otherwise you are surely correct.

8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Katharine Hepburn played Clara and could actually play the piano-- so she did her own piano "lip syncing" to recordings from the professional pianist.

And Richard was played by Paul Henreid. He had to have both his hands and playing done by the professional.

Few people realize that Clara was a very talented composer, as well as a concert pianist.

Robert Walker played the extraordinarily talented Brahms, who was unlucky in love.

That's not the movie I was thinking of. In fact, I've never seen Song of Love, so I couldn't really ask any trivia questions based on it. However, since your answer apparently fits, I'll give it to you. 

Your thread, Princess.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

That's not the movie I was thinking of. In fact, I've never seen Song of Love, so I couldn't really ask any trivia questions based on it. However, since your answer apparently fits, I'll give it to you. 

Your thread, Princess.

Thanks, Larry-- I've never seen it either, I'm just a fan of classical music. 

On the classical music station that I listen to they often talk about classic movie scores and films about classical musicians.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thenryb said:

I think you mean Robert Schumann. Otherwise you are surely correct.

That must be a Freudian slip because I don't even like Wagner. But I do like Richard Strauss. LOL

• Haha 1

Princess,  it's good to find another classical music fan.  And I do love Schumann's music, especially his symphonies.  Now, let's get back to the game.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Thanks, Larry-- I've never seen it either, I'm just a fan of classical music. 

On the classical music station that I listen to they often talk about classic movie scores and films about classical musicians.

I saw it a few years ago and thought it was quite good. I may have even seen it on TCM.