Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,801 posts in this topic

The man leaves the club humiliated.  He vanishes for days, apparently on an alcoholic binge.  His wife thinks he's with the other woman, who is actually also searching for him.

He is found and brought home by the man's friend/bar owner and the other woman, who assures the wife that her husband wasn't staying with her.

At home, the situation is strained; not only can he not find a job, but his adolescent son has doubts about his idolozing his father.   The man leaves home, appears to become involved with the other woman.  Meanwhile, the wife's best friend wastes little time in trying to woo her.

The other woman makes plans with the man.  She informs him that many people around town incorrectly blame her for the man's crumbling marriage.  However, he doesn't inform her that he is planning to take a job across the country in San Francisco.  She finds this out when the estranged wife visits her in her apartment, and there is a tense conversation, if grudging acknowledgement of each other's importance in the man's life.

Let's try a different tack.

This was the third movie together for the actor who played the husband, and the actress who played the other woman.  They had gotten acclaim in their first film together, playing a battling married couple.  As in the third film, she played the scheming other woman in their second film together.

The actress who played the wife in the film under consideration was involved in a triangle scandal shortly after this film's release.  Her husband, also a movie person, shot a business partner of hers, thinking the partner was romantically involved with his wife.  While her husband did jail time, and despite her two-decade career in movies, she didn't do another film for several years.

6 hours ago, Arturo said:

Let's try a different tack.

This was the third movie together for the actor who played the husband, and the actress who played the other woman.  They had gotten acclaim in their first film together, playing a battling married couple.  As in the third film, she played the scheming other woman in their second film together.

The actress who played the wife in the film under consideration was involved in a triangle scandal shortly after this film's release.  Her husband, also a movie person, shot a business partner of hers, thinking the partner was romantically involved with his wife.  While her husband did jail time, and despite her two-decade career in movies, she didn't do another film for several years.

Linda Darnell and Paul Douglas in The Guy Who Came Back. Linda's the other woman, Joan Bennett the wife. Linda and Paul were in A Letter To Three Wives as the bickering husband and wife and Everybody Does It,  Linda again as the other woman and Celeste Holm as his wife.

The last clue finally finished this one. I don't remember seeing the film, although I'd like to very much. I'm a fan of Linda Darnell and Paul Douglas., I remembered immediately Joan Bennett and her husband Walter Wanger's story, that lead me to the answer..

15 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Linda Darnell and Paul Douglas in The Guy Who Came Back. Linda's the other woman, Joan Bennett the wife. Linda and Paul were in A Letter To Three Wives as the bickering husband and wife and Everybody Does It,  Linda again as the other woman and Celeste Holm as his wife.

The last clue finally finished this one. I don't remember seeing the film, although I'd like to very much. I'm a fan of Linda Darnell and Paul Douglas., I remembered immediately Joan Bennett and her husband Walter Wanger's story, that lead me to the answer..

Excellent Lav on every count!!!  

Unfortunately, the Fox films don't get much shown on TCM, and even the Retro Fox Movie Channel's 12 hours daily has a lot of repeats of only a few movies.

Your turn.

Thanks Arturo :)

Golden age actress was so hounded by reporters during her divorce,  instead of going home at night, slept on the set of the film she was working on at that time. Actress and the film ??

That would be Mary Astor.  She was making Dodsworth at the time that she was going through a divorce that received a lot of publicity due to the diary she kept of her affair with George S. Kaufman. 

1 minute ago, starliteyes said:

That would be Mary Astor.  She was making Dodsworth at the time that she was going through a divorce that received a lot of publicity due to the diary she kept of her affair with George S. Kaufman. 

Perfect answer Star. Mary Astor and the movie was Dodsworth. Good work, your thread

• Thanks 1

A remake of a film that starred a couple who was married at the time was planned for another married couple a number of years later, but that couple got divorced before it was made and that was the end of that.

Name the movie and the stars, as well as the stars who had hoped to remake it.

13 hours ago, starliteyes said:

The film was a 1950's comedy and the husband and wife co-stars were very big at the time.

This one has me a little baffled, There's the remake of Bachelor Mother as Bundle of Joy with Debbie and Eddie but don't think there's was another remake planned. There's the Long Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi but I can't think of a movie that it was based on that came before however Roseanne Barr and Tom Arnold were going to make a remake of the film but they were divorced before that happened.  Other married couples that were popular were June Allyson and Dick Powell and they made some films together but can't think of one they made as a remake also Howard Duff and Ida Lupino but they made dramas. so am I close here with any of these?????

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

This one has me a little baffled, There's the remake of Bachelor Mother as Bundle of Joy with Debbie and Eddie but don't think there's was another remake planned. There's the Long Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi but I can't think of a movie that it was based on that came before however Roseanne Barr and Tom Arnold were going to make a remake of the film but they were divorced before that happened.  Other married couples that were popular were June Allyson and Dick Powell and they made some films together but can't think of one they made as a remake also Howard Duff and Ida Lupino but they made dramas. so am I close here with any of these?????

Lav, you may have come up with the answer.  The clue states the remake was never made, because the couple got divorced.

12 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Lav, you may have come up with the answer.  The clue states the remake was never made, because the couple got divorced.

The problem is,  as I said, the 1950's film according to the question was a remake and I don't think The Long Trailer was a remake of a previous film. Barr and Arnold may have planned to do a remake of Lucy and Desi's The Long Trailer before they divorced but the 1950's film is not a remake of another film as far as I can tell. We'll have to wait for Star to respond.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:16 PM, starliteyes said:

A remake of a film that starred a couple who was married at the time was planned for another married couple a number of years later, but that couple got divorced before it was made and that was the end of that.

Name the movie and the stars, as well as the stars who had hoped to remake it.

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The problem is,  as I said, the 1950's film according to the question was a remake and I don't think The Long Trailer was a remake of a previous film. Barr and Arnold may have planned to do a remake of Lucy and Desi's The Long Trailer before they divorced but the 1950's film is not a remake of another film as far as I can tell. We'll have to wait for Star to respond.

You got it, lav, although there seems to be some confusion on your part.  If you re-read my original post above, I stated that a remake of a film (that would be the 1950's film) was planned later on for another couple.  The 1950's film wasn't a remake; it was the original.  I thought it was clear, but I guess not.  

Anyway, you were right when you named The Long, Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi.  Roseanne and Tom Arnold were planning a remake, but divorced before it happened.

And so, my friend, I turn the thread over to you.

Thanks Star :)

A stunt woman refused to do a stunt for a Golden Age film saying that the stunt was too dangerous. The lead actress did the dangerous stunt herself. Film and the actress ??

Guessing that the film is HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE from 1939, and the actress is Alice Faye.

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

Guessing that the film is HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE from 1939, and the actress is Alice Faye.

Sorry, not the film

The film is a western

t

On 2/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, Arturo said:

THE PERILS OF PAULINE....Starring Betty Hutton...?

No, the film is a western and the character was inspired by a real life male and it's not Betty

edited by me