Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,818 posts in this topic

With all these hints, I figured it had to be Barbara Stanwyck.  The movie is Forty Guns and, at the age of 49, Barbara Stanwyck did her own stunt of being dragged along a street by a horse when her stunt double refused to do it.  Also, the character she played was a female version of Ike Clanton, who, I must admit, I am not familiar with.

6 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

With all these hints, I figured it had to be Barbara Stanwyck.  The movie is Forty Guns and, at the age of 49, Barbara Stanwyck did her own stunt of being dragged along a street by a horse when her stunt double refused to do it.  Also, the character she played was a female version of Ike Clanton, who, I must admit, I am not familiar with.

Yes, it's Barbara Stanwyck and yes it's Forty Guns. She really was amazing. She was dragged over 100 ft, her foot caught in the stirrup, that was the stunt that she did that the stunt person refused to do saying it was too dangerous. It's a very interesting, weird film. I watched it a few years ago and I liked it. Ike Clanton was one of the brothers who fought at the showdown at the OK Corrral. Next time the Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster film Gunfight at the OK Corral is on you'll see who Ike Clanton was. Good work Star, it's your thread :)

• Thanks 1

The director of this film wanted a certain actress for the starring role and she wanted it, too.  However, she was locked into a contract elsewhere and was not able to do it.  Another actress played the part and, ironically, the first actress would later play a character based on the actress who did play the part.

Name the two actresses and the movie in question.

It sounds like "The Unsinkable Molly Brown".  MGM and director Charles Walters wanted Shirley MacLaine for the lead role, but she was unavailable, so Debbie Reynolds was cast in the lead.  Later, Debbie's daughter Carrie Fisher wrote a semi-autobiographical book about a young actress struggling with a drug habit and an overbearing mother who was a show biz superstar.  Debbie actually wanted to play the part of the mother, but she was talked out of it and Shirley MacLaine got the part with Meryl Streep playing the daughter.

The Unsinkable Molly Brown.jpg        Postcards from the edge.jpg 

Thanks, Starlit.  Now, in the classic musical "Singin' In The Rain", young Kathy Selden, played by Debbie Reynolds, is hired by the studio to dub both the speaking and singing voice of Lina Lamont. who is played by Jean Hagen, for a sound movie called "The Dancing Cavalier".  The plan was to fool the movie going public into thinking that Lina Lamont actually had a good voice.  However, the producers actually fooled us, the real movie going public, because it was not Debbie Reynolds' voice that we heard either as Lina's speaking or singing voice in "The Dancing Cavalier".  Who supplied Lina's speaking voice and who supplied her singing voice for "The Dancing Cavalier"?  

I believe it was Betty Royce who dubbed Debbie Reynolds' character supposedly dubbing Lina Lamont, Jean Hagen's character.

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough in my question.  Someone dubbed Lina Lamont's singing voice and someone else dubbed Lina Lamont's speaking voice for "The Dancing Cavalier".  Arturo was close.  The singing voice was provided by a voice-over artist name Betty Noyes.  Debbie Reynolds was only nineteen when filming began on this picture and she had a young, high voice.  Lina Lamont was an older woman and thus her "Dancing Cavalier" character needed a more mature singing voice for the song "Would You?".  Debbie's own singing voice was heard in the rest of the picture. 

You are more familiar with who provided Lina's speaking voice for the line "Our Love Will Last Until The Stars Turn Cold".  Can you name her?    

On 2/8/2019 at 2:27 AM, MilesArcher said:

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough in my question.  Someone dubbed Lina Lamont's singing voice and someone else dubbed Lina Lamont's speaking voice for "The Dancing Cavalier".  Arturo was close.  The singing voice was provided by a voice-over artist name Betty Noyes.  Debbie Reynolds was only nineteen when filming began on this picture and she had a young, high voice.  Lina Lamont was an older woman and thus her "Dancing Cavalier" character needed a more mature singing voice for the song "Would You?".  Debbie's own singing voice was heard in the rest of the picture. 

You are more familiar with who provided Lina's speaking voice for the line "Our Love Will Last Until The Stars Turn Cold".  Can you name her?    

I'm pretty sure that it was Jean Hagen's own voice for that line?

Yes, It was Jean Hagen's real, or natural voice, that we heard when Kathy Selden was recording the line.  So, this sounds kind of funny, but we had a case of Jean Hagen dubbing Debbie Reynolds dubbing Jean Hagen.  Not only did the producers of "The Dancing Cavalier" fool their movie going public, but the producers of "Singin' In The Rain" did the same thing.  Nice work, Lavender.  

Arturo almost got part of the question right and Lavender did get the other part, so Lavender get's to go next. 

This actor and actress made 4 films together. In 2 of the films, the actor and actresses characters are engaged to be married but she changes her mind because she's not in love with him. In the 3rd film they do marry but he tries to kill her. The 4th film has nothing to do with the question but since they were both in the film I felt compelled to mention it. LOL. Who were the 2 and what were the 3 films they are romantically involved in and the name of the 4th film for extra credit ??????

One of the films is a noir, one is a drama and a sort of thriller, one is a drama and some consider the film noirish and the one where they are not romantically involved is an historical adventure.

Gene Tierney and Vincent Price made 4 films together.  The two films in which they were engaged but did not marry were Laura and Leave Her to Heaven, the latter film being the one for which Gene Tierney received an Oscar nomination.  In Dragonwyck, he tries to kill her.  The historical drama in which they were not romantically involved was Hudson’s Bay. 

28 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Gene Tierney and Vincent Price made 4 films together.  The two films in which they were engaged but did not marry were Laura and Leave Her to Heaven, the latter film being the one for which Gene Tierney received an Oscar nomination.  In Dragonwyck, he tries to kill her.  The historical drama in which they were not romantically involved was Hudson’s Bay. 

You got it Star, good work your thread :)

• Thanks 1

A child actor who appeared in many films was only seen in a photograph in this movie in which he was supposed to be a younger version of the teenage actor who played the son of the two stars.

Name the two youthful actors, the two stars and the movie.

The actor who played the teenage actor's father is one of the legendary stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood, while the actress who played his mother was only 10 years older than him.

The child actor in the picture came to a bad end, while the teenage actor later worked behind the scenes and became a respected acting coach.