Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,802 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2019 at 7:19 PM, starliteyes said:

The actor who played the teenage actor's father is one of the legendary stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood, while the actress who played his mother was only 10 years older than him.

"Any Number Can Play" is one of my favorite Clark Gable movies. He co-stars with Alexis Smith.

Darryl Hickman plays their son.

Of course, Darryl is the older brother of Dobie Gillis, Dwayne Hickman.

And I'm just going to have to guess that the unfortunate child actor in the photo was Scotty Beckett.?

This was a good question for me because it's a good MGM question. LOL

• Like 1

Glad you liked the question, Princess.  And your guess about Scotty Beckett being the actor in the photo is correct.  I like Any Number Can Play quite a bit, too, and think it's one of Clark Gable's better post-war pictures.

And now it's your turn.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:02 PM, Princess of Tap said:

"Any Number Can Play" is one of my favorite Clark Gable movies. He co-stars with Alexis Smith.

Darryl Hickman plays their son.

Of course, Darryl is the older brother of Dobie Gillis, Dwayne Hickman.

And I'm just going to have to guess that the unfortunate child actor in the photo was Scotty Beckett.?

This was a good question for me because it's a good MGM question. LOL

Princess, the thread is yours

* We're going to call this question : "When tragedy struck".

1) Identify the film Clark Gable was shooting when Carole Lombard was killed.

2) Identify the film Tyrone Power was shooting when he was fatally stricken by a heart attack.

3) Identify the film Jean Harlow was shooting when she died.

And the last part of the question is the following:

What legendary movie star was so distraught by the death of his wife that he wanted to drop out  of an expensive Technicolor cinemascope  film, which had already started production?

What happened next was so extraordinary that it's well Remembered in Hollywood folklore. This big movie star actually offered to pay all production costs up to this point.

When you identify the actor, also please name the film and the studio involved.

*Please answer the question in its entirety.

12 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

* We're going to call this question : "When tragedy struck".

1) Identify the film Clark Gable was shooting when Carole Lombard was killed.

2) Identify the film Tyrone Power was shooting when he was fatally stricken by a heart attack.

3) Identify the film Jean Harlow was shooting when she died.

And the last part of the question is the following:

What legendary movie star was so distraught by the death of his wife that he wanted to drop out  of an expensive Technicolor cinemascope  film, which had already started production?

What happened next was so extraordinary that it's well Remembered in Hollywood folklore. This big movie star actually offered to pay all production costs up to this point.

When you identify the actor, also please name the film and the studio involved.

*Please answer the question in its entirety.

1. Clark was working on Somewhere I'll Find You with Lana Turner

2. Tyrone Power was dueling with George Sanders when he collapsed on the set of Solomon and Sheba

3. Jean Harlow was working on the film Saratoga

Fred Astaire's wife had passed away, he was so distraught he offered to pay production costs if he could be released from Daddy Long Legs. The studio was 20th Century Fox

Lav, excellent and complete answers, thank you.

When I first read Fred Astaire's autobiography, I was amazed at what he had proposed to do. I don't believe I ever heard of a movie star offering  to go that much out of his way when he couldn't complete a contract. Eventually he decided to do the movie because his late wife had worked on this project for a number of years. And he did it as a tribute to her. And what a beautiful tribute it was.

Lav, you're up.

8 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Clark was working on Somewhere I'll Find You with Lana Turner

2. Tyrone Power was dueling with George Sanders when he collapsed on the set of Solomon and Sheba

3. Jean Harlow was working on the film Saratoga

Fred Astaire's wife had passed away, he was so distraught he offered to pay production costs if he could be released from Daddy Long Legs. The studio was 20th Century Fox

Thanks Princess, I didn't need research on this one, I had read about Fred's participation in Daddy Long Legs awhile back. My parents took my sister and I to see the film when I was very little, under 5 years old. I have memories of the film and it's always been special to me. I have a few copies of the film.

next

A biopic could have starred the person the film was about. The problem was the person stammered when they spoke but luckily they didn't when they sang. Who was the film about, title of the film and the person who played the lead ???

As a kid one of my absolute favorite movies:  With a Song in My Heart, starring Susan Hayward, who was brilliantly supported by Thelma Ritter.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

As a kid one of my absolute favorite movies:  With a Song in My Heart, starring Susan Hayward, who was brilliantly supported by Thelma Ritter.

Yes it's With A  Song In My Heart starring Susan Hayward and wonderful Thelma Ritter. Both were nominated for Oscars for this one. It's Jane Froman's story, she dubbed the singing for Hayward and wanted Hayward for the part because she felt Susan Hayward  resembled her. Froman couldn't do the part herself, she stammered when she spoke but not when she sang. As a kid, it was one my of favorites too Princess. Don't you always notice a very young Robert Wagner as the soldier suffering from PTSD? Good work, your thread, Princess :)

• Thanks 1

*This is a question with 9 parts. Please answer in its entirety.

1) Name 3 Legendary Golden Age movie stars who were scouted and signed  for Hollywood after a breakout role on Broadway-- please include each individual play.

2) Name 3 Legendary Golden Age movie stars who started their Hollywood movie careers at the very beginning in silent movies-- to go on to become movie stars in the talkies.

3) Name 3 Legendary Golden Age movie stars who were not afraid to go back on the Broadway stage after they had become International screen Legends.

* You may use a name more than once if necessary.

19 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

*This is a question with 9 parts. Please answer in its entirety.

1) Name 3 Legendary Golden Age movie stars who were scouted and signed  for Hollywood after a breakout role on Broadway-- please include each individual play.

2) Name 3 Legendary Golden Age movie stars who started their Hollywood movie careers at the very beginning in silent movies-- to go on to become movie stars in the talkies.

3) Name 3 Legendary Golden Age movie stars who were not afraid to go back on the Broadway stage after they had become International screen Legends.

* You may use a name more than once if necessary.

For #1

1. Gene Kelly- Pal Joey

2. Shirley MacLaine- Pajama Game

3. Howard Keel - Carousel and then Oklahoma

For #2

1.  Garbo

2.  Joan Crawford

3. Carole Lombard

For#3

1. Lauren Bacall- Applause

2. Elizabeth Taylor - The Little Foxes and Private Lives

3. Alexis Smith- Follies

32 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

For #1

1. Gene Kelly- Pal Joey

2. Shirley MacLaine- Pajama Game

3. Howard Keel - Carousel and then Oklahoma

For #2

1.  Garbo

2.  Joan Crawford

3. Carole Lombard

For#3

1. Lauren Bacall- Applause

2. Elizabeth Taylor - The Little Foxes and Private Lives

3. Alexis Smith- Follies

I've got to tell you that only Joan Crawford and Carole Lombard were the ones that I had thought of yesterday. I don't think Alexis Smith was ever a legendary movie star, but she certainly became a legendary Broadway Star Overnight.

I hope you like these kind of questions because they're fun to think up.

And Lav, it looks like it's just you and me for a while right here. LOL

Thanks for playing. 

It's your turn...

Thanks Princess, John Barrymore was another who was in silents and went on to talkies. 

next

This excellent actress only got a co-starring role in a very famous film because her famous husband basically blackmailed the studio into giving her the part. She was nominated for an Oscar for the role. The lead in the film did win an Oscar for the role. Film, the actress and her husband and why did her husband have to go such drastic measures to get her the role in the film ????

I finally got it!  The film was Marty, the actress was Betsy Blair and her famous husband at the time was Gene Kelly.  I'm not sure if she was blacklisted, but her career definitely suffered due to the investigations that were going on back in the McCarthy era.  She got the role in Marty because Gene Kelly threatened to stop shooting if she didn't.

9 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I finally got it!  The film was Marty, the actress was Betsy Blair and her famous husband at the time was Gene Kelly.  I'm not sure if she was blacklisted, but her career definitely suffered due to the investigations that were going on back in the McCarthy era.  She got the role in Marty because Gene Kelly threatened to stop shooting if she didn't.

Yes the film was Marty, the actress was Betsy Blair and her famous husband was Gene Kelly. From what I've read she was basically blacklisted that's why Gene went to such great lengths to have her cast in the the co-starring role as Clara. Gene was working on It's Always Fair Weather at the time, it was this film that he threatened to walk off of if Betsy wasn't given the role of Clara in Marty. Even though she was nominated for an Oscar for her role, she was still blacklisted and unable to get roles. She wrote that eventually this lead to the end of their marriage.

Good work Star, it's your thread :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An actor who played supporting roles in A pictures and leads in B pictures was on a train trip to New York.  When the train stopped in Chicago, he was surprised to see a swarm of reporters and photographers on the station platform, at first thinking they were there to see him.  However, when he stepped outside to greet them, he quickly learned that they had been tipped off that a truly legendary star was on the train.  With that star being nowhere in sight, they began to interview him.  He was just reaching the punchline of what he thought was a pretty delightful story when the legendary star was spotted and the reporters ran off, leaving him feeling somewhat humiliated.  Then one of the legendary star’s assistants took him aside and told him how grateful the star was that he had created a diversion and asked if he would mind doing it again at future stops along the way.  He complied and, before they got off the train in New York, he was summoned to the star’s compartment to be thanked.

Name the actor and the Big Star.

The legendary star was famous for wanting to be alone.  The actor, who started out working in carnivals, had a very long career that encompassed movies, theater and television.

From the mid-50's through the mid-60's, the actor was a semi-regular on an iconic sitcom.  During that same period, his son also was featured on an iconic sitcom.  In each case, father and son played a friend of the male star of the series.