Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,661 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, starliteyes said:

An actor who played supporting roles in A pictures and leads in B pictures was on a train trip to New York.  When the train stopped in Chicago, he was surprised to see a swarm of reporters and photographers on the station platform, at first thinking they were there to see him.  However, when he stepped outside to greet them, he quickly learned that they had been tipped off that a truly legendary star was on the train.  With that star being nowhere in sight, they began to interview him.  He was just reaching the punchline of what he thought was a pretty delightful story when the legendary star was spotted and the reporters ran off, leaving him feeling somewhat humiliated.  Then one of the legendary star’s assistants took him aside and told him how grateful the star was that he had created a diversion and asked if he would mind doing it again at future stops along the way.  He complied and, before they got off the train in New York, he was summoned to the star’s compartment to be thanked.

Name the actor and the Big Star.

The actress must be Garbo, from your clues I'm going to guess Lyle Talbot. Going by your tv clues he was on Ozzie and Harriet and his son Steven was Beaver's best friend on Leave It To Beaver. He was part of the Warner's stock company in the 1930's ?????

Thanks Star. I knew about Lyle and his son's tv appearances since I watch Leave It To Beaver all the time and have posted about Ozzie and Harriet quite a few times. It finally dawned on me that it might be him that's why I took a guess with Lyle. btw, very interesting question :)

next

Although this actor/dancer had worked with this actress on a film without any incident, a few years later they would work together again on Broadway. The Broadway show had been a famous film many years before ( not the same film they worked on) During the Broadway show the 2 got into a huge fight, he called her names, she hit him and some reports say he hit her back. Although this isn't strictly a movie question, I thought it was interesting info about these 2 performers. Who were the 2, Film that the 2 were in together and during what Broadway show did this incident occur??

5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The actress was known as a singer, the actor more for choreography

This is an absolute guess.

About the only choreographer per say who was more of a choreographer than an actor I can think of is Michael Kidd. The only thing I know him to be known for is " It's Always Fair Weather".

So since Cyd Charisse can't sing, the only other answer could be Dolores Gray.

I've never heard this story but that's the only answer I can come up with.

Yes, Dolores ( I love her, she's a favorite of mine) and the great Michael Kidd and the movie is It's Always Fair Weather. The Broadway play was Destry Rides Again. I thought this information was very interesting.

Although the role of "Frenchy" in 1959's "Destry Rides Again" was one of Gray's greatest successes on Broadway, it was an experience she always recalled with mixed emotions. Always a total professional, she was constantly at odds with perfectionist director/choreographer Michael Kidd. This tumultuous relationship reached its peak when an angry Kidd called Gray a "****" in front of the entire company. Gray, a life-long devout Catholic, slapped his face. When asked to step in, producer David Merrick said, "you couldn't buy this kind of publicity. Let them fight it out". As to co-star Andy Griffith, the most Gray would say was that he wasn't very pleasant to her.Although the role of "Frenchy" in 1959's "Destry Rides Again" was one of Gray's greatest successes on Broadway, it was an experience she always recalled with mixed emotions. Always a total professional, she was constantly at odds with perfectionist director/choreographer Michael Kidd. This tumultuous relationship reached its peak when an angry Kidd called Gray a "****" in front of the entire company. Gray, a life-long devout Catholic, slapped his face. When asked to step in, producer David Merrick said, "you couldn't buy this kind of publicity. Let them fight it out". As to co-star Andy Griffith, the most Gray would say was that he wasn't very pleasant to her.

Good thinking Princess, I figured my last clue would do the trick. btw, the censor bleeped out the word Michael Kidd called Dolores. It was s-l-u-t

17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is an absolute guess.

About the only choreographer per say who was more of a choreographer than an actor I can think of is Michael Kidd. The only thing I know him to be known for is " It's Always Fair Weather".

So since Cyd Charisse can't sing, the only other answer could be Dolores Gray.

I've never heard this story but that's the only answer I can come up with.

Your thread princess :)

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes, Dolores ( I love her, she's a favorite of mine) and the great Michael Kidd and the movie is It's Always Fair Weather. The Broadway play was Destry Rides Again. I thought this information was very interesting.

Although the role of "Frenchy" in 1959's "Destry Rides Again" was one of Gray's greatest successes on Broadway, it was an experience she always recalled with mixed emotions. Always a total professional, she was constantly at odds with perfectionist director/choreographer Michael Kidd. This tumultuous relationship reached its peak when an angry Kidd called Gray a "****" in front of the entire company. Gray, a life-long devout Catholic, slapped his face. When asked to step in, producer David Merrick said, "you couldn't buy this kind of publicity. Let them fight it out". As to co-star Andy Griffith, the most Gray would say was that he wasn't very pleasant to her.Although the role of "Frenchy" in 1959's "Destry Rides Again" was one of Gray's greatest successes on Broadway, it was an experience she always recalled with mixed emotions. Always a total professional, she was constantly at odds with perfectionist director/choreographer Michael Kidd. This tumultuous relationship reached its peak when an angry Kidd called Gray a "****" in front of the entire company. Gray, a life-long devout Catholic, slapped his face. When asked to step in, producer David Merrick said, "you couldn't buy this kind of publicity. Let them fight it out". As to co-star Andy Griffith, the most Gray would say was that he wasn't very pleasant to her.

Good thinking Princess, I figured my last clue would do the trick. btw, the censor bleeped out the word Michael Kidd called Dolores. It was s-l-u-t

Your thread princess :)

Lav, I had to put on my Sherlock Holmes hat for that one. But I was kind of surprised because I never heard of Michael Kidd doing stuff like that before. And I know he had to put up with a lot with Gene Kelly in that movie.

That was a great question and it certainly had to do with two terrific Classic Movies.

I shall return.

This extremely popular Golden Age singing movie star was first rumored to be romantically linked to her manager, and then linked to her Studio boss and then later linked to her leading man. But she married none of them. Wedding instead a fellow Hollywood actor.

When you identify this Golden Age movie star, also identify the four men in her life.

Is it Jeanette MacDonald?  She was involved with Bob Ritchie, her personal manager, who asked her to marry him several times, but she turned him down.  Then she was rumored to be involved with MGM studio boss Louis B. Mayer.  And then, of course, there was Nelson Eddy with whom she had a very long off-screen relationship, despite the fact that they both eventually married other people.  Gene Raymond, the actor she did marry, resembled Nelson Eddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

Is it Jeanette MacDonald?  She was involved with Bob Ritchie, her personal manager, who asked her to marry him several times, but she turned him down.  Then she was rumored to be involved with MGM studio boss Louis B. Mayer.  And then, of course, there was Nelson Eddy with whom she had a very long off-screen relationship, despite the fact that they both eventually married other people.  Gene Raymond, the actor she did marry, resembled Nelson Eddy.

Yes yes yes! I've Loved Jeanette since I was a little girl and Nelson was the only partner for her.

Star, you're very good and this is fun. Your turn....

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yes yes yes! I've Loved Jeanette since I was a little girl and Nelson was the only partner for her.

Star, you're very good and this is fun. Your turn....

Thanks, Princess.  As much as I like the Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy musicals, I must say that I really enjoy the musicals she made with Maurice Chevalier maybe even more.  One of the reasons is that I think those musicals gave Jeanette more of an opportunity to play comedy, something that she did quite well.

And now on to the next trivia question:

These 5 actors lived near each other.  Another actor was visiting one of them one day when a busload of tourists started down the street.  Before they could take cover, one of the actors suggested that they give the tourists a show by forming a human pyramid with him on the top.  They did and the fans went wild, especially when they all fell into a heap.

See if you can identify the actors from the following clues.  Starting on the bottom of the pyramid:

Actor #1 – A major heartthrob in the 1940’s, he was sometimes called the “voiceless Sinatra.”

Actor #2 – He was a 2 time Oscar winner for Best Actor.

Actor #3 – Although this actor usually played kind-hearted, wholesome characters, he did some of his best work when cast against type.

In the middle row:

Actor #4 – A very handsome actor who died way too young when he had a heart attack while shooting a movie.

Actor #5 – The son of a famous comedian, he was memorable as a supporting actor in many films.

And at the top of the pyramid:

Actor #6 – A comic actor, his best films were a couple that he made for Preston Sturges.

Who were the 6 actors?

Wow, I'm guessing on all of this......

1. Van Johnson

2. Spencer Tracy

3. Fred MacMurray

4. Tyrone Power

5. Keenan Wynn

6. Eddie Bracken

(please tell me there is a picture of this)

7 hours ago, KarmaGirl said:

Wow, I'm guessing on all of this......

1. Van Johnson

2. Spencer Tracy

3. Fred MacMurray

4. Tyrone Power

5. Keenan Wynn

6. Eddie Bracken

(please tell me there is a picture of this)

Oh, you're so close, KarmaGirl!  You got them all right except for #2.  Would you care to take another crack at it?  And no, I don't have a picture of this.  I hope some of those tourists took some pictures.

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

Oh, you're so close, KarmaGirl!  You got them all right except for #2.  Would you care to take another crack at it?  And no, I don't have a picture of this.  I hope some of those tourists took some pictures.

I'd just like to add as an additional hint for Actor #2 that, although he was married for nearly 30 years and that was his only marriage, he was known to be quite the ladies' man and had numerous affairs.

That's it, lav!  If you don't mind, I think KarmaGirl should get the thread if she wants it since she did answer almost all of the question right.

Thanks star and lavender. (I hope one day, someone releases that picture of the human pyramid).

Once upon a time, a director was really not sure about using a mechanical horse for some riding scenes in his movie.  The director sent a crew member to a amusement park to inspect the mechanical horses.  The owner of the park saw the crew member and offered one of his mechanical horses to the director to use in the movie.  

Name the movie, the director and the owner of the park that loaned the mechanical horse.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 3:05 AM, KarmaGirl said:

Thanks star and lavender. (I hope one day, someone releases that picture of the human pyramid).

Once upon a time, a director was really not sure about using a mechanical horse for some riding scenes in his movie.  The director sent a crew member to a amusement park to inspect the mechanical horses.  The owner of the park saw the crew member and offered one of his mechanical horses to the director to use in the movie.  

Name the movie, the director and the owner of the park that loaned the mechanical horse.

Not sure about the amusement park, but I've read that Hitchcock sent a crew member to the Disney Lot and did get a mechanical horse for his movie Marnie ?

On 3/23/2019 at 3:05 AM, KarmaGirl said:

Karma Girl, I responded with an answer, is it correct, yes or no ?

On 3/28/2019 at 6:03 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Karma Girl, I responded with an answer, is it correct, yes or no ?

Sorry it took so long.

I probably just assumed that the crew member went to Disneyland (never think of trivia questions under the influence of cold medicine.)  But yes, the movie was Marnie, the director was Hitchcock and you said Disney so the thread is yours lavender.