Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,857 posts in this topic

I remember reading in Doris Day's autobiography that she and Louis Jourdan became very good friends while making Julie, and that her husband was jealous of their friendship.

18 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I remember reading in Doris Day's autobiography that she and Louis Jourdan became very good friends while making Julie, and that her husband was jealous of their friendship.

Correct Star. It was Doris and Louis Jourdan's friendship during the making of the film Julie that made Melcher jealous. Melcher really was a piece a work ( one Doris should have done without) Good work, your thread

• Like 1

These two actresses played mother and daughter in a couple of films.  Before that, however, they had each played the same role in different film versions of the same story.

Name the two actresses and the names of the movies involved.

Hint:  The older actress was born into a theatrical family.  The younger actress was a 2 time Oscar winner.

Hint #2:  The older actress' screen version was an RKO picture, while the younger actress' film was released by MGM.

Joan Bennett played the part of Amy in RKO's 1933 version of "Little Women".  Elizabeth Taylor played that same part in MGM's 1949 version.  They played mother and daughter in "Father Of The Bride" and "Father's Little Dividend".

Joan Bennett was blonde in her early career.

Image result for little women movie 1933

Liz was blonde for her turn as Amy.

Image result for little women movie 1949

Here they are in "Father's Little Dividend".

Image result for joan bennett liz taylor father of the bride 

• Like 1

Thanks for that very thorough and correct answer, Miles.  I thought this question would be answered a little more quickly, especially since Father of the Bride was on very recently.  Anyway, you came through once again, Miles, with flying colors.

Your thread.  

Four Oscar winning actresses had the same initials.  Can you name all four?  One of them had, or would have had, a birthday very recently.

Maggie Smith (1978), Meryl Streep (1979), Mary Steenburgen (1980), Maureen Stapleton (1981) ?

Very good, Arsan.  I heard that on the radio recently when they announced that it was Maureen Stapleton's birthday, but they didn't say who the others were.  My first thought was Margaret Sullavan, but although she was Oscar nominated, she did not win.  Arsan, it's your turn now.  

Thank you, Miles. I forgot to look up their birthdays.

I apologize for delaying this thread.

Next:

This actress had been nominated unsuccessfully for an Oscar four times. When she received her fifth nomination, instead of going to the ceremony, she stayed home and threw a "Watch-Me-Lose-Again" Party.

1 hour ago, Arsan404 said:

Thank you, Miles. I forgot to look up their birthdays.

I apologize for delaying this thread.

Next:

This actress had been nominated unsuccessfully for an Oscar four times. When she received her fifth nomination, instead of going to the ceremony, she stayed home and threw a "Watch-Me-Lose-Again" Party.

My favorite character actress, Thelma Ritter.

She should have won for:

" Pickup on South Street",

"With a Song in My Heart",

and for my personal favorite, "Pillow Talk".

21 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

My favorite character actress, Thelma Ritter.

She should have won for:

" Pickup on South Street",

"With a Song in My Heart",

and for my personal favorite, "Pillow Talk".

You are correct. Your turn, Princess.

This producer was a partner in the creation of three major Golden Age Hollywood Studios.

He was the executive producer of films starring Gary Cooper, Marlon Brando, Alice Faye and Loretta Young.

He was nominated for 1 Academy Award for a film he had independently produced.

His innovative financial plan for hiring star talent changed the industry.

When you identify this movie mogul, also name his film which was nominated for an Oscar and the three studios which he helped to create.

22 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This producer was a partner in the creation of three major Golden Age Hollywood Studios.

He was the executive producer of films starring Gary Cooper, Marlon Brando, Alice Faye and Loretta Young.

When you identify this movie mogul, also name his film which was nominated for an Oscar and the three studios which he helped to create.

Hint#1)  His independently produced Oscar nominated film took place in a foreign country.

16 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1)  His independently produced Oscar nominated film took place in a foreign country.

Hint#2) James Stewart played a key role in the latter part of his career.

On 7/5/2019 at 5:36 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#3) He was married to the daughter of a Golden Age Hollywood mogul.

Princess, please add a clue, Thanks

26 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, please add a clue, Thanks

Spencer Tracy was the star in the first company that he formed.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:52 PM, Princess of Tap said:

On 7/3/2019 at 6:10 PM, Princess of Tap said:

On 7/4/2019 at 10:25 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2) James Stewart played a key role in the latter part of his career.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:36 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#3) He was married to the daughter of a Golden Age Hollywood mogul.

Hint#4) Spencer Tracy was a star in the first company he formed.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:35 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#5)  His father-in-law discovered for Hollywood one of the most legendary actresses of the Golden Era.

Hint#6) His sister-in-law discovered, for the Broadway stage, the most influential actor of the second half of the 20th century.

Hint# 7) His brother-in-law produced the most famous Hollywood movie ever made.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:06 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#6) His sister-in-law discovered, for the Broadway stage, the most influential actor of the second half of the 20th century.

Hint# 7) His brother-in-law produced the most famous Hollywood movie ever made.

Please review the other 5 hints and the original question.

On 8/5/2019 at 5:30 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Please review the other 5 hints and the original question.

OK here goes- William Goetz- His father-in-law was Louis B Mayer - he was married to Edith Mayer, Louis daughter, his sister in law was Irene Selznick, a theatrical producer who gave Marlon Brando his big break in A Streetcar Named Desire on Broadway, His brother-in-law was David O Selznick who produced Gone With The Wind. His Oscar nominated film was Sayonara starring Brando - the studios were Twentieth Century Fox, then Universal - International and then William Goetz Productions- producing Sayonara. He came up with the idea of profit participation, it's been said that helped in the studio system's downfall. ??????????