Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,690 posts in this topic

Yes,  Lav-- Well Done!

I had wanted to see this film for over 30 years and I finally got to see it last year on TCM. It wasn't quite the way I imagined it would be, but still I was totally fascinated by Carole's dramatic ability. I believe, if she had lived, she would have gone into more dramatic roles, as screwball comedies went by the wayside.

And John Cromwell, who directed Bette Davis's dramatic breakout role in Of Human Bondage, showed Carole to  good advantage.

Lav, Your turn--

Thanks Princess :)

An important plot element to the story of this film, is that it takes place during a very hot summer.The characters are sweating and uncomfortable. In reality, the film was shot during a freezing cold winter. Film ?

Film is based on a story written by a famous and prolific writer of mystery novels and stories. This film is a noir. Many of his works have been made into films, we've some of these on TCM. 

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be "The Window" with Bobby Driscoll as a young boy who witnesses a murder, but no one will believe him?

You got it Miles, the film is THE WINDOW. Eddie Muller said that the film was shot during a freezing cold winter in Manhattan. The film takes place during a hot summer in Manhattan, so hot that Bobby Driscoll's character sleeps on the firescape, that's when he witnesses the murder. Eddie said that between takes, the actors were given hot soup to warm up and there is one scene in the film that you can see their breath when they speak because it's so cold. I've seen this film multiple times over the years and I never would have thought that the film was shot at anytime other than a hot summer.  Driscoll was given a special juvenille Oscar for his excellent performance.

Good work Miles, your thread

Thanks, Lav.  I would have thought that "The Window" would have been filmed in Hollywood, using New York street scenes from a studio back lot.

Now, an actor had a small role in a 1940's movie that featured a well known band leader and his big band.  More than a decade later, that same actor appeared in a movie biography about that same band leader.  Can you name both the actor and the band leader?

16 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.  I would have thought that "The Window" would have been filmed in Hollywood, using New York street scenes from a studio back lot.

Now, an actor had a small role in a 1940's movie that featured a well known band leader and his big band.  More than a decade later, that same actor appeared in a movie biography about that same band leader.  Can you name both the actor and the band leader?

Glenn Miller appeared in Orchestra Wives and the film The Glenn Miller Story was made more than a decade later. The actor who appeared in both was Harry Morgan (Henry)

You are correct, Lavender.  Harry Morgan, then billed as Henry Morgan, played a soda jerk in "Orchestra Wives".  Some twelve years later, in "The Glenn Miller Story", he played Glenn's friend, Chummy.  Nice work, Lav.  You're up next.  

21 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

I think I read that Danny Kaye kept breaking up the cast and crew during the making of White Christmas.

Good work Star, it was indeed Danny Kaye cracking everyone up on the set of White Christmas causing many, many retakes. Your thread Star  :D