Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,639 posts in this topic

Once Upon A Time (1944)

Curly- a caterpillar who dances to the song Yes Sir That's My Baby

YESSS!!! Lavender Blue, you've got it! I'm surprised anyone still remembered that old flick. Haven't seen it in years.

LB19, the board is yours.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan. I have painters and workmen here today and possibly the week-end. They've moved inside due to the heavy rain we're having. They will be working in the area that I use the computer in so could someone else take over? Thanks.

What celebrated, oscar-winning cinematographer used roller skates to photograph the arena scenes in a well-known 1947 boxing film?

I'll guess James Wong Howe, for "Body and Soul" (1947).

Cheers,

Dan

What film, made in this century, has a plot that doubles back upon itself, so that some of the actors end up playing entirely different characters in the end than in the beginning?

Cheers,

Dan

No replies yet? Okay, here's a new clue:

A famous star of the past has a featured role, in this 21st century film.

Here's the question again:

What film, made in this century, has a plot that doubles back upon itself, so that some of the actors end up playing entirely different characters in the end than in the beginning?

Cheers,

Dan

"Titanic"?

No, not "Titanic." That isn't a 21st century film, anyway. "Titanic" was released in 1997.

Here's the question again:

Hint: A famous star of the past has a featured role, in this 21st century film.

Hint No. 2: A famous Oscar winner also appears in this film, but is unrecognizable.

Again: What film is it?

Cheers,

Dan

Cloverfield?

No, not "Cloverfield" (2008).

This question has been up for a week now, and no one seems to be taking it seriously; so, I'm taking it down.

The question originally read:

Then, I added hints. I said a famous star of the past has a featured role, in this 21st century film.

Later, I added the clue that the film features an Oscar winner who is unrecognizable in this picture.

Ya know, I thought this question would get answered in record time. The clues I gave are so obvious, and the film is popular and well-known to... well, to most all movie buffs.

The correct answer is: "Mulholland Dr." (2001). Look it up.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan;

I've seen Mulholland Dr. twice, but I didn't recognize it from your description. I had different interpretations. I thought, instead of the actresses exchanging roles, that the blonde and the brunette were in Coco's (i.e. Ann Miller's) favor at different times. And, basically, I had reached the conclusion that the whole thing was a dream, probably of the blonde actress (Naomi Watts?), who had no control of where her dreams were taking her. But, Lordy knows, your take on anything in Cinema is to be respected, and I'll take another look at it when I can do so without renting or buying it.

I would also like to put a question to you that I have been unable to get answered elsewhere. On the Information Please! Forum I got some sympathy and incouragement, but no final answer:

Its a movie that I saw on TV in the early-to-mid 50's, so it probably dates from the 30's or 40's. A college setting: I think Law School, but the course may be in Civics or Ethics. A student has written a well-received (thesis? term paper? article?) with the title "Man Above The Law", and people keep congratulating him about it. Also, he has killed a man, I think in the course of stealing some money. (Cash-strapped students are a fixture in American life.) At one point, while

sleeping in his room, he is awakened by a knock at the door. He rises and answers the door -- and the whole story collapses. The body of the story has all been a dream; the man at the door is the man that the student -- and the audience -- thought he had killed. I saw this about age 12, and never again. At this point I am not even sure if that brilliant thesis was a part of the dream, or of the "real" world.

Do you recognize any of this, and can you suggest a way to help me find the title? I would appreciate any help you can give.

And, to make sure I leave an actual Trivia question here; try this one: A River Runs Through It, on TCM yesterday, had several credit listings for fish handlers and trout experts.

Can anyone name a movie (Cable, I'm afraid) that has a credit for a "Spider Wrangler?"

Regards,

cmvgor

cmvgor

Additional Info on the "Spider Wrangler" credit:

1. The movie is based on an actual event -- it made headlines when it happened, and, in fact, another movie was based on the same true story.

2. The movie has a lot of fun with the facts, and with itself. A female vocalist sings a song behind the closing credits about the tradition of "having a song at the end."

3. The spider wrangler has done similar jobs with for other productions -- some with titles that most movie fans would recognize.

Message was edited by: cmvgor

> {quote:title=mr6666 wrote:}{quote}

> can't be "Anachraphobia", right?

Correct, not that title. But (giving away everything here), the spider wrangler on the movie I have in mind did the same job for Psycho.

> {quote:title=mr6666 wrote:}{quote}

> did you mean Jules Sylvester (of "Psycho" '98) ?

Right. This resourceful Brit, who grew up in Kenya, Has quiet a career in renting and training and

handling various animals for the film industry. Snakes are another of his resources.

In the film where I first ran across that billing, there is a scene where Holly Hunter almost absent-mindedly swats and squashes a spider that is crawling on her leg. Then she wipes away

a gooshy mess, and the event is never mentioned.. Then the end credits, where I first saw that term. And at the very end of "the song at the end", the vocalist announces that "No spiders or

cheerleaders were killed in the making of this film!"

All this happened in The Positively True Adventures Of The Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom.

Next up.

Metz- you beat me to it. I was just about to correct my answer. Too much going on here and I'm not thinking too straight.

The Informer

Victor McLaglen

Dudley Nichols (at least that part was right the 1st time!)

hardly a leading man but this actor added impressive support in many famous films

he died of a heart attack while filming a very popular musical