Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,597 posts in this topic

Strangers On A Train, with the climatic sequence with a runaway merry-go-round ???

Good guess, cmvgor. Not correct. You're on the right road but wrong lane. Strangers is from the 50's, not 30's.

I'm gonna hafta give you this one daneldorado. It would be splittin' hairs to continue.

It's not "Mary" but it is "Murder" 1930

Good work! next...

Thanks, pm... Here is an easy one for you guys.

What famous screen star, known in his heyday as a fanny pincher, was once a German POW and then accused of being a Nazi sympathizer?

Didn't know you could be both, but....

Who he?

Cheers,

Dan

I was going to suggest Errol Flynn, but he couldn't enlist for the opportunity to become a POW.

Am I close..?

I was going to suggest Errol Flynn, but he couldn't enlist for the opportunity to become a POW.

Well, it isn't Errol.

Here's another clue: In his youth, the actor in question served as sparring partner to a world boxing champion.

Cheers,

Dan

probably not, but 'Donald Pleasance' ?

again, "clue fishing"...

Hi, sixes. You're right... it's probably not Donald Pleasance.

Our guy was frequently nominated for filmdom's highest awards, but never won. However, he does own an honorary Oscar.

Who he?

Cheers,

Dan

Okay, it's been a while, so maybe more clues are in order for this one.

What famous screen star, known in his heyday as a fanny pincher, was once a German POW and then accused of being a Nazi sympathizer? Didn't think you could be both. Who knew?

Here's another clue: In his youth, the actor in question served as sparring partner to a world boxing champion.

And still another: Our guy was frequently nominated for filmdom's highest awards, but never won. However, he does own an honorary Oscar.

This actor appeared in silent films, but never hit it big until sound pictures came along... and then, he became a major star.

Who he?

Cheers,

Dan

I haven't finished yet, but ...

Maurice Chevalier ?

Au contraire, mon frere... You HAVE finished! Maurice Chevalier it is!

Nice sleuthing, pastman. The board is yours now.

Cheers,

Dan

Wow, daneldorado.. I think I lost about five pounds looking for that guy.. :) That was challenging.

here we go..

I was due to play the male lead opposite a very famous actress-singer in a (now) well known 1940's film but broke my ankle playing volleyball. Withdrawing from the film, I encouraged another famous actor-singer to come out of retirement to replace me. ~ Who am I and which film did I withdraw from?

Gene Kelly broke his ankle during a volleyball game, and at his suggestion, Fred Astaire replaced him (opposite Judy Garland) in "Easter Parade" (1948).

Cheers,

Dan

In the early days of talking pictures, three (3) men who would become giants of the film industry worked on one movie, and they would never work together on any other film. All of them would have long film careers, and they all eventually became Oscar winners.

Please identify these three (3) famous men and the one movie they made together.

Cheers,

Dan

You are asking about actors, NOT directors?

I anticipated that question from somebody.

So, here is the first clue: One of the three (3) men involved in this question is a director. The other two are actors.

In the early days of talking pictures, three (3) men who would become giants of the film industry worked on one movie, and they never worked together on any other film. All of them would have long film careers, and they all eventually became Oscar winners.

Please identify these three (3) famous men and the one movie they made together.

Cheers,

Dan

Hmmm... No replies for a few days. Let's freshen this up.

In the early days of talking pictures, three (3) men who would become giants of the film industry worked on one movie, and they never worked together on any other film. All of them would have long film careers, and they all eventually became Oscar winners.

Here is the first clue: One of the three (3) men involved in this question is a director. The other two are actors.

And here's another clue: Although he had a long and successful movie career, one of the two actors was NEVER -- well, hardly ever -- called by his first name.

And if that doesn't blow this thing open, I don't know what would.

Cheers,

Dan

This wouldn't be the original STAGECOACH? With John Duke Wayne?

Sorry, Jen, no.

It's true that John Wayne was rarely called "John" by his friends or fans. He was always the "Duke." But he is not involved in this trio.

And the original "Stagecoach" was released in 1939. Not exactly "the early days of talking pictures." Think late 1920s, very early 1930s.

Okay, here is the question again:

I have also said that one of the three men was a director, the other two were actors.

And one of the two actors was rarely called by his first name.

Okay, here's another clue:

In the film in question, one of the actors in this question plays on a prison baseball team.

Cheers,

Dan

Up the River (1930) with Humphrey Bogart (Bogie), Spencer Tracy, directed by John Ford

Hi, Uncle Charlie... welcome back. Where ya been?

I guess you remember this question from last time I posted it, about two (2) years ago.

Your board now.

You staying this time?

Dan

Hi, Uncle Charlie... welcome back. Where ya been? You staying this time?

Did I go somewhere? Pretty sure I've been around for a little over a year now.

Thanks, Dan. I'm passing the thread to anyone interested as I will not have access for about 10 days beginning tonight. Good luck.

UC

Okay, here's one you may need a little help with... so I'm going to help you.

An early talkie, this film features a scene where shots are heard ringing out in a hotel room.

The hotel manager and his assistant proceed to the room where the shots were heard, and they find two inert bodies, a woman and a man.

The manager says:

"It's a double suicide! It HAS to be a double suicide! For the good of the hotel!"

Not exactly a "Famous Movie Quotes" question, since I've given you the background and even the speaker.

But your task, should you be willing to assume it, is to find out:

What is the name of the movie? (Remember, an early talkie.) And who plays the hotel manager who is so fervent about trying to protect his hotel's good name?

Cheers,

Dan

I expected some comments by now on this question, but maybe I didn't make it clear enough.

The hotel manager and his assistant hear gunshots ring out in one of the rooms. They go to the room to investigate. Two inert bodies lie on the floor, one male, one female.

At this point, the manager is thinking: OMG! They've been murdered!

But quickly, he changes his tune. Hey, murder would be bad publicity for the hotel, right? So he then says:

"It's a double suicide! It HAS to be a double suicide! For the good of the hotel!"

That's the point of the scene. The manager is being duplicitous. He'd rather change "apparent double murder" to "apparent double suicide," to avoid bad publicity for his hotel.

By the way: It turns out that neither of the bodies is really dead.

Okay, now: What film was it? Remember, it's an early talkie. And who plays the deceptive hotel manager?

Extra clue: The actor in question had been a very BIG silent screen star.

Don't all of you answer at once, now. :)

Cheers,

Dan