Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,853 posts in this topic

mr6666 wrote:

Okay, dan, ( just in case those pigs are still in the trees)

could it be Mack Swain (he played 'Big Jim' in Chaplin's '25 "The Gold Rush"), as the hotel manager in The Locked Door '29, with Barbara Stanwyck & Rod LaRocque ?

You got it, sixes! The board is yours!

Glad you got the correct answer when you did. I was running out of clues!

Cheers,

Dan

Short one...

In the film Annie Hall, the California movie marquee' had a double billing.. what were their titles.

Which film director had to be covered by a sound blanket during the filming of one of his famous films?

Name the director, the film and why he had to be covered up?

This clue should do it.Wish someone would take a crack at it.I think this question is interesting trivia.

This director is part of an elite few.He has won an Oscar, an Emmy, a Tony and a Grammy Award.

I've got it narrowed down to either John Gielgud (deceased) or Mike Nichols (still with us) but that's as far as I've gotten..

...quick one

This film takes it's title from a poem by Edgar Allan Poe, though not it's plot. It features two of the

biggest stars of their time (simultaneously). This was their first of many pairings in this same genre. They vied for top billing. An arrangement was arrived at: The more popular star got top billing with his last name only. It was a biggie. And it rattled the other.

...juuust missed it, cmvgor. metz44 put the correct one first: The Black Cat with *KARLOFF* and Bela *LUGOSI*. Karloff's first name is not mentioned in the opening titles or closing credits. Even though Bela Lugosi has the lead role in this film, KARLOFF was the bigger star and got the top billing.

Thank you for participating

The thread is open..

> {quote:title=pastman wrote:}{quote}

> ...juuust missed it, cmvgor. metz44 put the correct one first: The Black Cat with *KARLOFF* and Bela *LUGOSI*. Karloff's first name is not mentioned in the opening titles or closing credits. Even though Bela Lugosi has the lead role in this film, KARLOFF was the bigger star and got the top billing.

>

> Thank you for participating

> The thread is open..

Uhhh, need some educating, here pastman. Was *The Black Cat* from a poem or from a short story. Dead as she is, I don't want to be on the wrong side of that question if Prof. Bailey (Eng. Lit. 101) finds out.

Anyway got one that should go down quickly:

*Name the movie*. No dribble of clues; this info and nothing more:

The second and unknown man in the botched kidnapping was actually a woman. Be that as it may, an innocent bystander -- a Police Captain's wife -- blundered into the event and was shot to death. The heat's on, and it calls for one very serious sit-down. 1985.

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}

> Prizzi's Honor-- (love it and thanks for reminding me-haven't seen it in quite awhile)-if it isn't Prizzi's Honor- (the emoticon for embarrassed face)!

Lavender;

You are right. Thread's yours if you want it.

Thanks,cmvgor- Great film. The clue that did it was the police captains wife getting shot. I think it was when the elevator door opened. Brilliant film,brilliant cast.Angelica Huston is one of my very favorite actresses. I think the novel was written by same author as The Manchurin Candidate.Just all around talent and greatness involved in this one.Glad you chose this film. Probably deserves a 10 clues post.

I'm blank on ideas right now. If anyone wants to jump in, be my guest. If not, I need some time to come up with one.

Another question like my last one. *Name the movie from this description and no follow-up:*

Walter Matthau does not appear in this film, but he _is_ an off-screen presence. An aging actor,

with a comeback opportunity, is asked to take a role in a film with Matthau. The actor reads the script, and then balks. He demands a chance to read for the role slated for W.M., because he is

so _right_ for the role. And the plot unrolls from there. What movie? (issued 1992)

I really thought somebody would recognize this one. *Mr. Saturday Night* stars Billy Crystal

(also writer and first-time director) as a comic who was big on TV in mid-century, but now is working small rooms at nursing homes. David Paymer gives an Oscar-nominated performance as

"Buddy Young, Jr.'s" brother and agent. (For the career if not the personality, cf Jackie Gleason,

Sid Caeser, Danny Kaye.) The incident described when I posed the question is endgame, and is typical of Buddy's career and life, Offered a chance to work with Walter Matthau, he blows it

by demanding a chance to take Matthau's role. So, back to the nursing homes. It is not a comedy, but a drama. And a worthy one.

Thread's open

Hi cmvgor:

Just a suggestion, nothing more.

When you pose a Trivia question and say: "Name the movie from this description and no follow-up."

You might actually be discouraging folks from playing the game. To me, one of the funnest parts of playing Trivia is the opportunity to ask the poster key questions that might reveal more of the answer to the puzzle.

Just a thought. Nothing sinister intended or implied.

Cheers,

Dan