Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

4,813 posts in this topic

Good job, Dan. My information from Wikipedia says Milton Berle was in "The Perils Of Pauline" in 1914. That was filmed in New Jersey. "Tillie's Punctured Romance" was made in California that same year and the newsboy was probably played by Gordon Griffith. Give us a good one, Dan.

Thanks, guys, and let's not forget about Jack Totheroh.

Jack made his film debut as a one-year-old baby, in "The Bachelor's Baby" (1915) and didn't make another movie until 1922. Seventy years went by, and he surfaced again, in "Chaplin" (1992), playing his own father, Rollie Totheroh, who had been Charlie Chaplin's favorite cameraman. In this century, Jack appeared in "Weekend King" (2007), giving him an acting "career" of four films, spanning 92 years.

I met Jack at a film festival in 2005. He was then 91 years of age, still healthy, ****, and with a sharp mind. He knows about his "record" but shrugs it off, saying that three movies in a lifetime (it was three at the time) shouldn't be considered a record over actors who have worked in films consistently through the years.

THEREFORE... Gentlemen, I put it to you:

What is the name of the actor who has a chance of beating Jack Totheroh's record? I'm talking about a guy who has worked in films consistently, after having made his acting debut as a one-year-old baby. Currently, his resum? shows that he has appeared in over 70 films and TV shows.

Name the actor and the title (and year) of his first film.

Cheers,

Dan

unclecharlie wrote:

Jackie Cooper?

Sorry, unk, it's not Jackie. But Cooper does, apparently, enjoy a singular distinction. According to Wikipedia, he is the oldest Best Actor nominee who is still living, as of 2009. His nom was for "Skippy" in 1931. Cooper is now 86.

But the clues to my Trivia question include the fact that the actor in question made his film debut at age one. Cooper did not appear in films until 1929, at which time he would have been either six or seven years old.

Heck, unkie, you knew that, right? You were just fishing for another clue, right? Okay, here it comes:

Our guy has a film career that spans 60 years. Okay, I know there are a few actors that have careers that long, including Jackie Cooper. But our guy debuted in films at age one. How many others can say that, except for Jack Totheroh?

If our guy holds on, he will eclipse every acting longevity record ever set. Who do you suppose he is?

Cheers,

Dan

I'll take a guess or fish for a clue. TCM just did a tribute to Ron Howard for fifty years in films. He made his film debut in "Frontier Woman" in 1956 at 18 months old. He has 72 acting credits on IMDB. I know it's not 60 years, but he has the other qualifications. Is it Ron Howard?

Miles wrote:

I'll take a guess or fish for a clue. TCM just did a tribute to Ron Howard for fifty years in films. He made his film debut in "Frontier Woman" in 1956 at 18 months old. He has 72 acting credits on IMDB. I know it's not 60 years, but he has the other qualifications. Is it Ron Howard?

No, not Ron Howard.

Listen, I had egg on my face a little while ago, on this same thread. I asked a question that was so vague, it turned out there were more correct answers than the one I was thinking of. So I promised never to do that again.

This time, I believe the clues I have offered apply to only one actor.

Ron Howard has 53 years in showbiz, and if you say he first appeared when he was 18 months old, I believe you. But 53 is not 60. The actor in question has a 60-year career, after having appeared in his first film as a one-year-old baby.

New clue: In order to beat Jack Totheroh's record, our guy would have to live to his 90s and make at least one film in his 90s. Can he do that? Only the Man Upstairs knows, but we have a clue. Our guy's father lived to 85, and HIS father lived to 75. So maybe our guy has been blessed with a long lifeline.

The question, again:

1. Actor who made his first film as a one-year-old baby.

2. Has more than 70 films and TV appearances to his credit.

3. Has a 60-year acting career.

4. His father lived to 85.

Bonus clue: Our guy has been nominated for the Academy Award, but hasn't won yet.

Who is he?

Cheers,

Dan

My teachers told me I'd have to use math when I grew up. That, and some applied logic means..

You will be.... Jeff Bridges

The Company She Keeps (1951)

pastman wrote:

You will be.... Jeff Bridges

The Company She Keeps (1951)

Well, this isn't the "Do You Know Me?" thread, so no... _I_ am not Jeff Bridges. I'm just Dan. But you've come up with the correct answer to the question.

The actor in question is, indeed, Jeff Bridges. He first popped up on screen, age 1, in the arms of his real-life mother, Dorothy Dean Bridges, in a scene in "The Company She Keeps" (1951).

An interesting side note is that Jane Greer, who was the star of "TCSK," was in the scene with little Jeff Bridges. Fast forward 33 years, and again Jeff B. and Jane G. share the screen, in "Against All Odds" (1984).

Your thread, pastman.

Cheers,

Dan

I enjoyed running that one down. Thanks, everyone.

An award winning (8 Acadamy Awards) film marks the first time in film history that 'one of these' was used during filming. The studio department responsible for 'it' earned one of those awards for it's efforts.

What is 'one of these' ?

A very good guess, cmvgor. Not a hand-held camera.

An award winning (8 Acadamy Awards) film marks the first time in film history that 'one of these' was used during filming. The studio department responsible for 'it' earned one of those awards for it's efforts.

What is 'one of these' ?

Additional information: In 1995, the creative heads of Fox Animation Studios were given the choice of creating an animated remake of the above film or the 1956 Fox film Anastasia. They chose Anastasia, which became the highest grossing non-Disney animated film in 1997.

In 1995, the creative heads of Fox Animation Studios were given the choice of creating an animated remake of the above film or the 1956 Fox film Anastasia. They chose Anastasia, which became the highest grossing non-Disney animated film in 1997.

Additional information: The use of 'one of these' was necessitated due to the lead male in the film saying he had never sung the songs the same way twice and thus couldn't convincingly lip-sync to a playback during filming.

cmvgor's guess, a hand-held camera, is not 'one of these'.

What is 'one of these' ?

In 1995, the creative heads of Fox Animation Studios were given the choice of creating an animated remake of the above film or the 1956 Fox film Anastasia. They chose Anastasia, which became the highest grossing non-Disney animated film in 1997.

The use of 'one of these' was necessitated due to the lead male in the film saying he had never sung the songs the same way twice and thus couldn't convincingly lip-sync to a playback during filming.

Additional information: Rex Harrison declined to pre-record his musical numbers in My Fair Lady so 'one of these' was used. Andre Previn then conducted the final version of the music to the voice recording.

cmvgor's guess, a hand-held camera, is not 'one of these'.

What is 'one of these' ?

> {quote:title=mr6666 wrote:}{quote}

> thanks, pastmen.

>

> Who remembers the director who had a portion of a field spray-painted yellow to closer resemble a painting he had in mind?

>

> --director & film?

Guessing here.

Vincente Minelli / *Lust For Life* ??

A very good and very able actress -- also very, very beautiful. Her looks translated into a lot

of "arm-candy" exposure, but when a real and meaty role came her way, she lived up to it. In the mid-1970s she made a Western (unsual for her) working for a director whose treatment of women

in his scripts was often criticized. Her performance, and the movie. were very well received. This

director did not often have actresses work for him a second time, but he invited this lady back to appear in a subsequent film. He arranged for her to have a lunch with the male star to discuss their working together. She was told something at that meeting that made her walk away from the project and avoid it completely.

Actress? Actor? Director? Either of the films?

The preceeding was an awkward question to pose, and this does not seem to be the place for it.

I had previously considered and rejected it for a "do you know me?" question, because it seemed

out of place there, also. If anything, perhaps it would have worked on the "2 truths, 1 lie" thread.

Anyway, here it is:

_Stella Stevens_ usually seen in vampy, comedy/glamor roles, was cast by Sam Peckinpah in

1970's *The Balad Of Cable Hoague*. The performance was warm, earthy, sexy and a solid match for that of co-star Jason Robards. Peckinpah later considered her for the female lead in

1972's *The Getaway* opposite Steve McQueen. At her get-acquainted lunch with McQueen,

he told her, "Get this straight. I consider you the competition." She refused to consider working

in such an atmosphere, and the role went to Ali MacGraw. This event is recounted by Stevens

in an interview on the second disk of the *Cable Hoague* DVD.

Anyway, thread's open.

Try this. Identify a 1980s crime thriller from this description alone. No follow-up clues:

After several homicides it becomes appearent that a serial killer is responsible. The victims are all young women who had recently terminated pregnancies. It turns out the killer is alive only

because his mother's attempt at an abortion had failed.

What movie?

We won't stretch this one out.

1988's *Criminal Law* stars Gary Oldman as an attorney who successfully defends a man

charged with murder. Then he discoveres that the client was guilty, and he has plans to get

guiltier. The super-active Pro-Lifer is played by an actor who could be useful to those who

enjoy that "Six Degrees" game -- Kevin Bacon. A fair-sized cast to help with game connections.

Thread is open to anyone with another question.

Reviving this dorment thread:

Recent publication of a shot of Jessica Rabbit brings this one to mind: Re the opening scene of

*Who Framed Roger Rabbit?* -- the "bad babysitting gig" sequence -- two questions:

1. What was the brand name of the vacuum cleaner?

2. What was the brand name of the oven?

Re *Roger Rabbit* :

The vacuum was a Suckalux.

The stove/oven was a Hotternell (say it fast),

Thread's open.