rohanaka

Western Movie Rambles

8,363 posts in this topic

I like the scenes with villainous Walter Brennan and the ending on the train is spectacular. Yvonne DeCarlo's stuntman husband was severely injured filming that and to help her out financially, the Duke gave her a role in "McLintock."

Hi Clore! I knew about Yvonne's husband and Wayne's assistance but didn't know this was the movie...I don't remember Walter at all in this movie; I can see that I really need to revisit it.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Randy Rides Alone

>

> A singing cowboy! Now that bumps this one up to the top of my list....I am hoping to catch at least 3 of these later tonight or maybe tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure if it's Wayne's voice that's heard but you have to see these at least once to appreciate how far he came. ;)

I saw *The Law and Jake Wade* last night, starring Robert Taylor and Richard Widmark and directed by John Sturges. The locations were impressive, eerily so. It was a fairly good western and is just recently released on DVD. I can't say it's all that unique; Widmark is in his typical sadistic, jeering mode and Taylor is of course the "good" guy. It's John Sturges so there is a bit of an edginess to the violence and a certain humor to it, but I must say it's not great. It is sort of a variation on Anthony Mann's MAN OF THE WEST in that we have a seemingly honorable "hero" who is confronted with his evil past and we are presented with how he deals with it. It's not nearly as interesting as MAN OF THE WEST, no not even close. But it's not bad and like I said, the setting is very beautiful and interestingly photographed.

Kathy and April, having seen THE BIG COUNTRY for the very first time the other day, it's now my favorite western! I just loved Peck's sea-captain back story, and the fact that he spanned the oceans and can also consider settling down as a landlubber.

The last scene does an interesting take on the "it's a big country" refrain that McKay meets at every turn -- we see him and a certain lady (I won't give it away) locking eyes in the most romantically sensual way as they survey the land -- and visually the camera is saying "it's a big country", but in the most brilliantly subtle and intimate way for these two people who are going to be sharing their lives and the land together.

I was impressed by Heston - a very touching performance! And Chuck Connors was very good as Burl's no-account spawn.

For me, I have to say that Burl Ives gives the same kind of blustery performance he always gives; I frankly can't tell the difference whether he's Big Daddy or Sophia Loren's husband in DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, etc. He can't just speak his lines, he has to declaim at every

turn, and I really find it tiresome.

Never have I seen integrity so sexy and quietly exciting as Peck's McKay. What a hero! What a man!

I love Carroll's "method-y" performance. In one scene, to vent her frustration, she bends her head and cries, but as she's doing so she starts pounding the desk furiously; a nice little spoiled-princess touch.

I noticed that Wyler's filming of the horses here seems like he's warming up for BEN-HUR!

One of the greatest western scores, although in some scenes it could have been toned down a bit.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Howdy, Lady B! I just knew you'd love THE BIG COUNTRY. :) I love Peck's character,

it's a marvelous example of personal integrity and being true to yourself. The whole

cast is just great.

I hope you can eventually see THE FURIES, too.

In response to your original post, one of the reasons I have to watch this every time it's on is Ramon -

played by Alfonso Bedoya. He was "Gold Hat" in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I recognized his voice before I figured out who he was. Apparently, he died (1957) before this movie came out (1958). I find him very interesting.

Also, in the credits, the woman is credited only as "Hannasey Woman" - I always assumed she was a brother's wife, since there were kids around. How about the brothers' names - Buck, Rafe, Dude,

****, Cracker? Loved the music.

Yes, I'd love to see THE FURIES; nothing like Freud and Missy!

I really loved Jean Simmons in THE BIG COUNTRY; at first I thought her character was going to be all school-marmy prim and proper (judging from her first scenes with Chuck Connors and Carroll) but I was more than pleasantly surprised later on. Jean as an actress, from what I've seen of her work, has a fascinating combination of gamine-ness and intensity.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> I really loved Jean Simmons in THE BIG COUNTRY; at first I thought her character was going to be all school-marmy prim and proper (judging from her first scenes with Chuck Connors and Carroll) but I was more than pleasantly surprised later on. Jean as an actress, from what I've seen of her work, has a fascinating combination of gamine-ness and intensity.

She's an extraordinary actress. She's not talked about much but I've always liked her tremendously, I also think she was very lovely looking.

I like the scenes between her and Peck at the "Big Muddy".

SPOILER

The manner in which Wyler films them discovering the mutual feelings toward the end is so imaginative and subtle.

I agree with you about "The Law and Jake Wade." The first time I saw it I really liked it but the last time it became routine about half way through. The basic part of the story spent a long time trying to get somewhere without getting there. Kind of got dull.

Ramon

I loved the way he just sort of "latched on" to Peck's character. It was a great supporting character and he (Bedoya) did a good job of portraying the humorous aspects of things (it made the whole situation just seem more "real"--at least for me.) I am embarrassed to admit that I have never seen Treasure of the Sierra Madre....but if (or should I say when?) I do I will watch for him.

You and Bronxgirl are right on about the music. I have had that theme stuck in my head ever since the other night. (The tune matches perfectly to the words "It's a Big Country" which I doubt was an accident.) At times it was a little overbearing, but I guess they just wanted it to be as grand as everything else about the film.

Regarding the Hannasey Woman" --we need to take a poll as to who she is because I thought she was Ives' wife...at the beginning of her conversation with the Major she says something like "my husband aint here" so I took that to mean the head of the household...I could be wrong about that...anyone else have a thought???

The Law and Jake Wade

Miss G--is this one for my list? Or (judging from your description) can it wait on my (not yet created) "maybe will watch after I see the other's first" list...pretty soon I will have to start "framing" all these little scraps of paper and decorate my office walls. :-)

I won't go so far as to say this is one of my favorite westerns

I got to thinking about my original "Big Country" post when responding to the comments about "Ramon" and I started rolling all the conversations on here around in my head...and I think I am going to have to revise the above statement (from the beginning of all of this)...I have to say after all this thought and all your great responses...I am going to bump this one up on my "ever-growing, constantly expanding list of favorites" It's fun to see how my movies tastes have changed and developed over the years. (Maybe one of those age/wisdom moments!) :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Don't be embarrassed. There's lots of movies I haven't seen - but do try to see The Treasure of the Sierra Madre next time it's on. The character of "Gold Hat" is one you won't forget. (Ask Fred Dobbs, not our fellow poster - but Humphrey Bogart's character with that name from "Treasure"). It's not a western, and I think that the theme would be too much for your little girl. But, I bet you'd find lots to discuss here.

> The Law and Jake Wade

>

> Miss G--is this one for my list? Or (judging from your description) can it wait on my (not yet created) "maybe will watch after I see the other's first" list...pretty soon I will have to start "framing" all these little scraps of paper and decorate my office walls. :-)

Howdy, Kathy,

It's just my opinion but I think The Law and Jake Wade can wait awhile. In fact, if you haven't done so, try to see *Man of the West* which is an infinitely superior version of that man-with-a-past tale. That one definitely belongs on your "must see" list. :)

MissG,

Forgive me if this is a repeat but I didn't see it posted in regards to your post about music in western films and in *Rio Bravo* in particular.

The song that Dean (who I adore in this film) sings "My Rifle, My Pony and Me* is a slowed down version (with words) to the theme from Hawks' *Red River*.

> The Law and Jake Wade

>

> Miss G--is this one for my list? Or (judging from your description) can it wait on my (not yet created) "maybe will watch after I see the other's first" list...pretty soon I will have to start "framing" all these little scraps of paper and decorate my office walls. :-)

Well, it's on my list as well ;)

The song that Dean (who I adore in this film) sings "My Rifle, My Pony and Me* is a slowed down version (with words) to the theme from Hawks' Red River

Hi Lynne! Really? Thank you for sharing that, I'll have to pay closer attention to the music in Red River next time.

Man of the West

I have that one on the list from a past conversation somewhere...I think I am going to go to a few of the local video stores soon and maybe see what I can find in the way of package deals withsome of these things I want to see, a lot of them involve the same actors (like Wayne or Cooper) or they have the same director (like Ford) etc...so I know I might be able to find some "sets" that will get me at least a good portion of all the stuff I am looking for. And the rest of the things on my list will just have to be dealt with one film at a time.

With regard to the other one, (jake wade) I will proabably just keep it in the back of my already cluttered mind...If I see it coming on, will try to catch it, but I doubt I will go out looking for it.

Hi, Kathy:

I'd like to add a recommendation for a film entitled THE HANGING TREE, from 1959 with Gary Cooper. It's not available on DVD in the USA, but it was released on VHS some years ago, so if you have access to a video store that still handles them, you may be able to find it.

It's another in the "man with a past" genre, as Gary Cooper portrays Joe Frail, a doctor in a mining town.

Doc Frail is revealed to be a man of seeming contradictions as he forces a man he saves from a lynch mob to become his bondservant, yet treats a little girl in the town and accepts a kiss from her as payment in full from her impoverished parents.

The main story begins as a young woman (Maria Schell) is found blinded and nearly dead from exposure in the wilderness. As Dr. Frail, which may not even be his real name, treats her, we begin to learn more about his mysterious past and whether or not he will, ultimately, be able to escape its reach, a theme this film has in common with the better-known film noir OUT OF THE PAST.

To reveal much more would spoil a really great movie, so I won't! But there's a good supporting cast, including Karl Malden in a fairly showy role and George C. Scott in his debut.

At this point, the film may be hard to find, but it's worth the trouble and is highly recommended.

THE HANGING TREE

Thanks Nightwalker--I have seen conversations about that film on here from time to time but never thought to ask about adding it to my ever expanding "movies I wanna see someday" list (although if it's a Gary film....I ought to have known better! :-) So consider this one listed!

I am hoping to sit down this weekend and watch some of those Duke movies I mentioned several days ago...I did not get to them this past weekend...I got a surprise gift from dear old dad ...a new computer!! And have been fiddling around on this thing a little too much in my spare time trying to set stuff up from the old computer etc. He knows a lot more about this stuff than I do, but neither one of us would qualify "computer expert" on any sort of test...so there was a lot of trial and error....We tried transferring everything with some sort of external hard drive?? (I think that's what he called it) but my old computer did not have the right stuff to make it work...then we tried saving on a disc and that did not work...(not sure why) and then he hooked both of them up together with some sort of adapter and we finally figured out how to "share" files...but everything in my old computer is typed in "Works" and the new computer is "Word" so when we transfer it over..it comes out gibberish....so even if we had been able to make the disc thing work we would likely have had the same problem. So finally I thought of the only solution that seems to be working (copy/paste/email/copy paste) but it takes forever!! I'm sure if I was like some of the computer gurus who post on here, it would be a breeze....but alas...I am not....another technophobe moment for me!)

But as soon as I get to the Duke films....I am going to make a point of searching out all these oh-so-many other titles and try to whittle my listof "wanna see's" down to size....I may make a post either here or the other movie rambles (maybe both--western and nonwestern titles) of all the films I've got listed so folks can give me their recommendations and personal opinions as to favorites and such. Maybe I will take an unofficial poll as to which ones should be at the top and which ones can wait...hmmmm.

I second Nightwalker's brilliant suggestion of THE HANGING TREE!!!! "Doc Frail" is my single favorite Gary Cooper character, if I had to pick one. (Link from Man of the West, Will from High

Noon, Robert from For Whom the Bell Tolls and Joe from Ten North Frederick are the others). I love this western so much because of this character, he's very complex but very compelling.

And it has a great theme song! :)

I'm going to ramble a bit about "3:10 to Yuma." I wrote a little about it 'above the line' though it would probably be better served here.

I'd never seen the movie before and really enjoyed the performances of Glenn Ford and Van Heflin. They neither one of them were ever really one of my favorites but they did a fantastic job in this. Heflin quiet, understated, simmering. Ford...seductive, manipulative, intimidating.

I love films with time frames that put the plot under the gun. (Examples: "High Noon" "Last Train from Gun Hill").

I didn't know if Van Heflin would make it up against Glenn and his boys. The film had a modern feel to it. Delmer Daves has a wonderful hand with this genre. A great movie that has stayed on my mind since I've seen it. I hope you get to see it too.

Geeeee...I'd better mosey on to bed.

Try saving those Works files in RTF format. It should be an option if I remember the program properly.

You'll have to do it one by one, by going to "File/Save As/File Type" and there should be a menu option for RTF files.

That format opens up in any word processor.

OR, there is a freeware program called "Drag and View" that will read just about any file type, you'll have to download it. You should be able to find it with Google.

Tell ya what, here it is:

http://www.canyonsw.com/dnv.htm