rohanaka

Western Movie Rambles

8,363 posts in this topic

Thanks Clore! I had to google to find out what an RTF format was :-) I don't know much about that, but am trying to find out more. If I understood what I was reading in this one site, I think I found info on how to do the reverse (as in how to get Word to be readable onto the old Works program....but that is the opposite of what I want to do...so I obviously need to keep reading! :-) I also looked at the link you provided...it sounds as though this would be helpful to have as well...I appreciate your wisdom and advice and will see if I can get this all figured out somehow.! :-)

> {quote:title=nightwalker wrote:}{quote}

> Hi, Kathy:

>

> I'd like to add a recommendation for a film entitled THE HANGING TREE, from 1959 with Gary Cooper. It's not available on DVD in the USA, but it was released on VHS some years ago, so if you have access to a video store that still handles them, you may be able to find it.

>

Just wanted to mention that for those who have multi-region DVD players, the movie was released in France by Warner Home Video (the French subtitles can be removed). It costs a mere ?10:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000FTWT78/imdb-fr-20/

(I realize some people have a problem with the PAL speedup, but if that's not a problem, then it might be worth getting).

AAAAHHH! Miss G--this whole computer thing is wearing me down...one of the other little glitches we have yet to figure out is I seem to have no sound...except for music CD's....but DVD's and links like your Hanging Tree-- the picture is fine, but for sound I get "nuttin' honey!!" There is something we are not doing right in our set up I am sure...but still trying to work out all the little details.. It's not a "factory built" computer but one that was built by someone my Dad has bought from in the past and since he has always had very good success with his own computerrs....he had this guy build one for me...I don't think it is a "workmanship" problem...but rather it is "operator faliure".... maybe will try to access TCM on my old computer while I still have it hooked up and will see if I can listen to old Marty Robbins that way....too late to mess with it tonight--will have to try again later. (Too bad!! I love Marty Robbins!!!!)

I'm sorry and so feel for you because I go through "glitches" like that anytime I have to deal

with a new piece of technology. Don't worry, the link will be there for you to enjoy whenever

you get things straightened out. Marty isn't running off! ;)

Ok... get ready for a good laugh at my expense...while it is still true that I cannot get any audio on dvd's and such-- I CAN however get sound in youtube...if I disengage the MUTE button on the stinking computer!!!!!. (Technophobia may not be the appropriate word...more like techno-challenged) :-)

PS-the Marty song was great! I have heard it before...just did not realize it until now. Now I just need to see the movie sometime.

Ha haa! That sounds just like something I'd do. But it's still mystifying that you can't hear anything when you play a dvd if you can now hear things that are online...but like I always

say with technology, one baby step at a time. :)

My dad thinks the problem is somewhere in the media player...I don't understand it all..he is trying to figure it out with the guy who built it for him and then maybe will be able to fix it...so far it is really the only "glitch" that is wrong with the computer....all the other issues are just stemming from not being able to transfer the old data onto the new computer...but we may have found a way around that too--between the info Clore gave me and also some stufff my Dad has been checking into. He really understands this stuff better than I do----my old computer is 10 years old and it's the only one I've ever had (other than ones I've used at work, etc) so I am sort of set in my ways sometimes...but I think when the dust finally settles and we get all these details worked out, this will be a really nice change...I feel like I've stepped off the pony cart and onto the train!! ( to borrow the reverse of your TQM post in the Ford thread) :-)

:D

I felt exactly the same way when I got my new PC (last year) and new dvd recorder. The recorder

has been giving me growing pains lately. I actually had to perform "surgery" on it, but the

patient seems to have fully recovered. This time.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> April and Kathy:

>

> Pick us a western. Since we blew "3:10" in the other thread we need one here.

You must have been reading my mind, Chris. I have been rattling my brain to think of what's

the next good one to discuss. Kathy, why don't you do the honor as I'm not sure what

you've seen that we haven't gotten to yet. Have you seen any of the *Randy Scott*

westerns directed by Budd Boetticher? Or *Stars in My Crown* with Joel McRea (I have

that on dvd and can watch it again. :) )

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I felt exactly the same way when I got my new PC (last year) and new dvd recorder. The recorder

> has been giving me growing pains lately. I actually had to perform "surgery" on it, but the

> patient seems to have fully recovered. This time.

Hope it was nothing serious and the patient enjoys a long life! ;)

Or Stars in My Crown with Joel McRea (I have

that on dvd and can watch it again. )

I haven't seen either of the two movies you mentioned...and since I am not yet ready to divulge my findings on some of the 15+ short films on that Duke dvd set (that is the project I've been trying to get to....) I'd love to hear about either of those two. I like the title of the McRea one so that is the one I listed but both films sound like something we could discuss so will leave the choice up to you...I know you and Chris (and several others) likely have a better selection of "films less chatted about" in your collection.... so dive on in....

Is the "Stars in My Crown" reference in relation to some eternal reward someone is expecting to gain ...or does it have another significance??? Tell me more.... :-)

Oh, Kathy, don't ask ME to make a decision! A-g-o-n-yyyyy! :) And if only Chris and I see

Stars in My Crown it won't be open enough to others. It's not readily available on dvd, either,

I think. Let's think of one we all can easily see or have seen, I say.

I will watch Stars this weekend, if not today, though---just in case. I haven't seen it in

ages and now I can. :)

This much I can remember, Joel McRea plays a minister in a small, rural community,

I don't recall the State (I think it's in the South) or even the time period so I'm not even

sure it's a real "western" but it's sometimes referred as such.

> This much I can remember, Joel McRea plays a minister in a small, rural community,

> I don't recall the State (I think it's in the South) or even the time period so I'm not even

> sure it's a real "western" but it's sometimes referred as such.

It's a Tennessee town in 1865.

Let's think of one we all can easily see or have seen

Mitchum has some westerns on tonight...How about the Red Pony...or maybe Track of the Cat? I haven't seen the first one...but I remember watching the second one some time ago...(Our beloved Ms Bondi is a bit wacko in this one as I recall) I also have not seen the third one on tonight...Man With A Gun...but it's on awfully late for me so I would likely not make it through if I tried watching that one (I have an early day tomorrow w/ church) AND I still have not had time to read how to program the stinking VCR ...(technophobia is a very debilitating disease sometimes)...

Track of the Cat will be on after the short person's bed time so it will be the easier one to watch...but she might like parts of the Pony one depending on how close it is to the info I read on the database..as long as the "drama" aspects of it aren't too intense...

What do you think folks??? Inquiring minds want to know....

Whoops--I looked again...Track of the Cat comes on first....so don't know if the short person will "let" me watch....maybe can find some playdough or watercolor work for her to do..

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Kathy that's a fine idea, I'll talk about any of those. I'm going to record *The Red Pony* and

*Man with the Gun* (I've never seen the latter). I've seen *Track of the Cat* a couple of times,

there's lots of stuff there to discuss, including enough Freudian nonsense to keep Mr Grey

happy. :P

Chris?

P.S. I'll keep my drooling comments on Mitchum's attractiveness to a minium, I promise.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Stars in My Crown is going to be shown on TCM on Monday, September 22nd at 9:30 P.M. EST.

Great! It could very well be in our "discussion queue", then, non?

> > {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> > Stars in My Crown is going to be shown on TCM on Monday, September 22nd at 9:30 P.M. EST.

>

> Great! It could very well be in our "discussion queue", then, non?

Count me in! :D

Track of the Cat comes on first

PHewww! I looked a third time...you'd think I could read better---forgot Night of the Hunter is the 7 pm movie and the other starts later...so both the Cat and the Pony are on after her bedtime....Mama and Daddy get to watch what we want for a change...HA!

And PS--looking forward to the Sept 23rd discussions from everybody on the SIMC movie--I asked TCM to email a reminder)

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Y'all can discuss what you want. I've got a date with Gloria Grahame. :P:P

Good. That ensures there will be intelligent discussion with good taste.