rohanaka

Western Movie Rambles

8,363 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> > Y'all can discuss what you want. I've got a date with Gloria Grahame. :P:P

>

> Good. That ensures there will be intelligent discussion with good taste.

Ouch!

Good. That ensures there will be intelligent discussion with good taste.

Gloria Grahame does equate good taste and intellect, I must say.

So what are your favorite Shadow Man, I mean, Duke films, Quiet Gal?

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Good. That ensures there will be intelligent discussion with good taste.

>

> Gloria Grahame does equate good taste and intellect, I must say.

>

All that, and a little more, too. ;)

what are your favorite Shadow Man, I mean, Duke films, Quiet Gal?

Oh surely you know by now at least most of the first ones on my list...#1 is of course--the NON Western YOU are going to be watching soon....right??? (TQM forever!!)

But as far as westerns go (though I must admit some of these I have not seen in a while)....in no real order I will say--Big Jake, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, McClintock, Rio Bravo, True Grit, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Ft. Apache, Sons of Katie Elder, The Cowboys, Angel and the Badman, 3 Godfathers, Stagecoach North to Alaska...I know there are more but cannot quite get my brain a-workin' on them right now...

I've never seen Cahill...The Undefeated...and some of his other "better knowns" and there are a whole slew of early (1930's) films that came on a DVD set I bought recently that I am trying to watch to see if there are any "gems among the stepping stones" But....it seems like whenever I do get a free moment to check out some of them...I spend too much time typing around on here instead..HMMMM.

I also want to see Shepherd of the Hills again..I only saw part of this and it was a long time ago...so I am looking out for that one.

I like a lot of his non-westerns too (Blood Alley has always been a fave and also Donovan's Reef) but I think his westerns really are where he seems to shine--in all his non-shadowy sunlit glory.

(You had to ask...so of course...I had to ramble) :-)

How about you Grey Guy...surely in his VAST filmography there is at least ONE or TWO Duke films you enjoy. (Everybody loves a good western.)

It's been years since I've seen "The Red Pony" and am out on the other two. If you want to talk Mitchum westerns I can only go on with "Pusued", "El Dorado,"

If you want to kill some time on McCrea (befiore we get SIMC later in the month) I have "Colorado Territory", "Gunsight Ridge", "Trooper Hook", "The Outsiders."

We could do a popular one like "Red River" or even a modern one like "Unforgiven" or "Dances With Wolves." There's a new remastered version of "How The West Was Won" running on the westerns channel and Comcast On Demand.

Oh surely you know by now at least most of the first ones on my list...#1 is of course--the NON Western YOU are going to be watching soon....right??? (TQM forever!!)

TQM? Never heard of it. :P

But as far as westerns go (though I must admit some of these I have not seen in a while)....in no real order I will say--Big Jake, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, McClintock, Rio Bravo, True Grit, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Ft. Apache, Sons of Katie Elder, The Cowboys, Angel and the Badman, 3 Godfathers, Stagecoach North to Alaska...I know there are more but cannot quite get my brain a-workin' on them right now...

Ahhh, very good. That's a pretty good list of Duke films that you have seen. Many of the big ones.

I've never seen Cahill...The Undefeated...and some of his other "better knowns" and there are a whole slew of early (1930's) films that came on a DVD set I bought recently that I am trying to watch to see if there are any "gems among the stepping stones"

The good thing about those 30s flicks is that many of them are about an hour long. I'm curious to know just how distinguishable they are.

But....it seems like whenever I do get a free moment to check out some of them...I spend too much time typing around on here instead..HMMMM.

I have no idea what you're talking about. :);)

I also want to see Shepherd of the Hills again..I only saw part of this and it was a long time ago...so I am looking out for that one.

I know of a wrong-headed gal who would appreciate that.

I like a lot of his non-westerns too (Blood Alley has always been a fave and also Donovan's Reef) but I think his westerns really are where he seems to shine--in all his non-shadowy sunlit glory.

Sunlit glory? He seems to always be hiding in the shadows when I see him. :P

How about you Grey Guy...surely in his VAST filmography there is at least ONE or TWO Duke films you enjoy. (Everybody loves a good western.)

I have only seen six Wayne films:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Searchers

Rio Grande

Red River

Stagecoach

Baby Face

I like all six.

Have you seen *How the West Was Won* ? They're releasing a new DVD version next week that features a "seamless" transfer (you no longer see the "lines" that divided the original cinerama projection).

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> His 1930's films are that really that good except for a laugh.

Including *The Big Trail* ?

30s flicks

So far from the ones I've seen...not very distinguishable. I have to agree with the Movieman...the ones I've seen so far are a bit laughable.

Although I am enjoying the "atmosphere" they have created in my imagination....The few I have been able to watch make me imagine a young boy....maybe like George Bailey (It's a Wonderful Life") rushing to sweep out the Drug Store so he can run up the street to catch the Saturday Matinee at the movie house...I can just picture him sitting next to all his buddies with his plaid shirt, rolled up blue jeans, and his baseball cap tucked in his back pocket...sitting there munching on popcorn or peanuts and loving every minute of it. These little short cowboy stories all seem to have that sort of feel about them.

And the other things I've noticed so far...none of the women have had "of the period" costumes...they are all wearing 1930 style clothes instead...and the sound effects are lacking...no "phssst" sound when somebody gets punched--just a slight slap sound instead. (probably more realistic than the fake sound) And so far all the men are wearing the really tall hats...very doofy looking. And the other noticable thing is (at least so far) there is no "background"music going on during the story...the chase scenes only have the sound of horses hooves galloping rather than the intense nailbiting music you usually hear...I kept wondering what was missing...and then I realized I kind of liked the change. (Now don't get me wrong....I think music is great in films...but sometimes..the lack of it adds a different twist.)

I will keep watching from time to time to see if any story stands out...but so far the most entertainment I am getting out of watching is the stuff I am noticing that is "different" and the imaginary scenarios I am making up in my own jumbled mind....not an entirely bad way to kill an hour or two.

PS--I liked your list of 6--though I must confess I have never seen our heard of Baby Face..I need to check into that one.

I love How the West Was Won....but the Duke has such a small role...I rarely think of it as being one of "his" films.

And as far as your shadowy comments are concerned....I give you a line from the Broadway musical "Hair"....."LET THE SUN SHINE...."

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> I love How the West Was Won....but the Duke has such a small role...I rarely think of it as being one of "his" films.

I just mentioned it because it's being re-released with what is hopefully a much improved video transfer (earlier video transfers had very visible "lines" showing where the cinerama image was divided) and they're even showing it at the L.A. Cinerama to mark the new DVD/BR release.

Just mentioned it here because it is a thread about Western rambles, not so much because of the Duke ;)

And getting back to Wayne - yes I agree many of his 30's movies are sorta silly, but I would think *The Big Trail* is a bit better than the rest.

Yes, "The Big Trail" is above the rest as it was an "A" picture. I didn't mean "How The West Was Won" as a Duke film but as one to discuss as it has been running recently. If you want to stick with Wayne films it suits me. I've seem them all and nearly all those you are working your way through.

How the West Was Won....

I was in the 7th grade when I saw this film for the first time...I don't know why, but the school I went to had a habit of showing a lot of different films during what I guess you could call "study hall"....I just remember seeing stuff like this one...and The Ugly Dachshund, Herbie the Love Bug, and (of all things) The Omega Man...seems like there was one more too that stands out in my mind but can't recall right now...but I know that there were some really good movies. (and...The Omega Man--although at the time I remember thinking it was the coolest movie ever. ) :-)

I have seen HtWWW several times-though not recently....I like all the different sequences. I am always surprised when Jimmy Stewart ends up marrying the one sister...though I don't know why I should be...and I am always on the edge of my seat when Karl Malden and family are shooting the rapids on thier little rafts....very suspenseful. This is probably one of my all time favorite Debbie Reynolds movies...even though she is usually more of a "lighter fare" sort of actress.

> Yes, "The Big Trail" is above the rest as it was an "A" picture. I didn't mean "How The West Was Won" as a Duke film but as one to discuss as it has been running recently. If you want to stick with Wayne films it suits me. I've seem them all and nearly all those you are working your way through.

I currently have *The Big Trail* out on rental, so if you guys decide on that one I can pop it

in and watch it.

P.S. Or I could rent How The West Was Won. It would give me an excuse to see the

restored version.

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

no need to stick with" just the Duke" folks....this is an equal opportunity thread..ramble at will! :-)

(That grey guy has gotten me in trouble....I was only talking "the Duke because he asked me about my favorites!! )

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Good evening, Pilgrimess -- So far from the ones I've seen...not very

distinguishable. I have to agree with the Movieman...the ones I've seen so far are

a bit laughable.

I did see one of Wayne's 30s flicks awhile ago and I actually liked it for what it

was. I'm not sure which one it was. I'm thinking Sagebrush Trail. I didn't

include it on my list since it's not fresh for me.

Although I am enjoying the "atmosphere" they have created in my

imagination....The few I have been able to watch make me imagine a young

boy....maybe like George Bailey (It's a Wonderful Life") rushing to sweep out

the Drug Store so he can run up the street to catch the Saturday Matinee at

the movie house...I can just picture him sitting next to all his buddies with his

plaid shirt, rolled up blue jeans, and his baseball cap tucked in his back

pocket...sitting there munching on popcorn or peanuts and loving every

minute of it. These little short cowboy stories all seem to have that sort of

feel about them.

Americana at its finest. I'm pretty good at accepting films for what they are. But I do

have my preferences.

And the other things I've noticed so far...none of the women have had "of the

period" costumes...they are all wearing 1930 style clothes instead...and the

sound effects are lacking...no "phssst" sound when somebody gets

punched--just a slight slap sound instead. (probably more realistic than

the fake sound) And so far all the men are wearing the really tall hats...very

doofy looking. And the other noticable thing is (at least so far) there is no

"background"music going on during the story...the chase scenes only have

the sound of horses hooves galloping rather than the intense nailbiting music

you usually hear...I kept wondering what was missing...and then I realized I kind

of liked the change. (Now don't get me wrong....I think music is great in films...but

sometimes..the lack of it adds a different twist.)

Very interesting observations. I must plead ignorance when it comes to what clothes

women wear and if they are "of the period." That goes right by me. Like you, I kind of

like the lack of a musical score at times. I'm not big on scores that try too hard to evoke

emotion. I also like the "slappy" punches of the olden days. They sound comical to

many contemporary ears, but they are more realistic sounding to me. And the sound

of hooves galloping is always fun.

I will keep watching from time to time to see if any story stands out...but so far

the most entertainment I am getting out of watching is the stuff I am noticing that

is "different" and the imaginary scenarios I am making up in my own jumbled

mind....not an entirely bad way to kill an hour or two.

If I get to Wayne's 30s oaters, I will certainly take them as they are. I'm not expecting

The Searchers, that's for sure.

PS--I liked your list of 6--though I must confess I have never seen our heard of

Baby Face..I need to check into that one.

Baby Face is a racy "pre-code" that sees Barbara Stanwyck sleep her way to

the top. Wayne is near the ground floor. I don't see you liking it at all.

I love How the West Was Won....but the Duke has such a small role...I rarely

think of it as being one of "his" films.

I have the film on tape but I'm considering getting the new DVD that comes out on

Tuesday.

And as far as your shadowy comments are concerned....I give you a line from

the Broadway musical "Hair"....."LET THE SUN SHINE...."

Thankfully, I do not know Broadway musicals. I'm in the shadows there.

Howdy, Westerns Man -- Me too. Interesting grouping.

Of the six I have seen this is my order of preference:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Searchers

Rio Grande

Red River

Stagecoach

Baby Face

I believe Wayne is very good in the top four. I like his performance in

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance the most, but Rio Grande is

close. He shows good emotional range in that film. He's also asked to be both a

husband and a father in Rio Grande.

His 1930's films are that really that good except for a laugh.

Silly and fun can work with me.

Howdy, Film Fatale -- Have you seen How the West Was Won ? They're releasing a new DVD version next week that features a "seamless" transfer (you no longer see the "lines" that divided the original cinerama projection).

I haven't seen it yet and I'm close to getting the DVD. I may hold off until Christmastime, though.

I love the look of *Track of the Cat*. Wellman, in "The Men Who Made the Movies", said he and

Clothier were absolutely crestfallen that after the release of this film no one in the audience or

among the critics noticed their color scheme which they worked on so hard and so meticulously.

He'd be pleased to know people today generally comment first on that when the film is discussed.

I would love to decorate my house, if I had one, in that scheme like the little house in the movie.

It's so clean and lovely.

a%20William%20A.%20Wellman%20Track%20of%20the%20Cat%20Robert%20Mitchum%20TRACK_OF_THE_CAT-2(1).jpg

a%20William%20A.%20Wellman%20Track%20of%20the%20Cat%20Robert%20Mitchum%20TRACK_OF_THE_CAT-5(1).jpg

*The Man with the Gun* was a NICE western. It had a gorgeous look to it, the cinematography

right from the start captured my attention. All these exquisite grays, so soft, almost like you

could touch them. And then, at a critical moment, the skies seemed to turn fiery. Wow.

Of course, when I saw who was the DP I understood, it was Lee Garmes. :x :x :x

Woe is me....(which is actually a Sunday School joke..."what was the name of Isaiah's horse??"...look up Isaiah 6:5) Anyway....woe is me because....I FELL ASLEEP and missed both the CAT and PONY movies. I had a busy day yesterday early on... and was too tired to stay awake...evidently my husband was too because we both crashed long before either movie was over...I started watching track of the Cat....and made it a good way through--got to the part just after the coffin was brought into the house....and then oblivion.(for me-not the coffin or the house)

I am such a fogie.

What I did manage to see of the CAT reminded me of all the awful relationships in this film and how they all fed off of each other...(to understand the kids...just look at the parents) The scenery and all the snow was breathtaking though. And I agree...the house was just what I would love to have someday....I really like the kitchen and dining area being so central-at least it seemed like that from the way it was filmed.

April....you toughie...I'm glad you liked the Gun movie too. It sounded like it would be a good one.

Changing the subject for a moment. "Visual Feast" brought up the title "Heaven's Gate" in another thread and I was wondering if anyone had seen all of it.

I saw about 20 minutes one time and it was a shootout in the second half of the picture. I have to agree with Roger Ebert(?) for at least this part that is was the brownest western I have ever seen.

Was it as bad as they say? I have a TV movie coming called "Johnson County Wars" soon and though it covers some of the same problems I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Chris

Howdy, Kathy! You don't need to feel bad, I know lots of people who fall asleep before the TV,

and envy everyone of you because I have insomnia! I was up until about 3 a.m. on Friday and

Saturday nights.

The "Gun" movie was interesting psychologically, beyond the look of the film. I just don't know

that the director was successful in making the movie emotional enough. I can't say I was ever

involved or cared about any of the characters, they were more like puppets on a stage. Mitchum

is a big enough personality to fill up the frame but everyone else just seemed to be blown off

the screen, a failing that may be due to a not so great director.

The best scene was toward the end, at the fire, where Mitchum showed some anguish, if

you can picture an anguished Mitchum at this stage of his career. ;)

So any ideas as to what Western is up next for discussion?

> >I have insomnia!

>

> We should talk.

>

> BTW, two are on the way today.

:)

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I have the film on tape but I'm considering getting the new DVD that comes out on

> Tuesday.

>

Don't just consider it. Make it so! ;)