Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

LONG, HOT SUMMER (1958) - the "sexless" man

14 posts in this topic

Lots of fun seeing this movie again this weekend.

Most interesting is the actor i never noticed before, RICHARD ANDERSON, playing the "friend" of Joanne Woodward's character, who was always happy to accept dinner invitations at her mansion, but who had no interest in her or anyone else. After 5 years of THROWING herself at him, Joanne Woodward gives up.

He is a "Momma's Boy", and his mother, played by MABEL ALBERTSON, is certainly the Mother you would want to be catered to by.

This film is great because it shows how climate affects people, something rarely seen in movies.

Everyone is a function of this suffocating heat, and sort of exaggerated by it all.

ORSON WELLES, once you get used to his very weird appearance, makeup and nearly unintelligible

shouted dialogue in a Southern accent, is great---just hard to understand.

I assume the term 'mamma's boy' was just a nice was of saying the Anderson character was gay.

Did he have a living father?    I don't recall.    If his father had died and his mother had no husband then maybe he was just a mamma's boy similar to what we see in The Birds.

• Like 1

"The Long Hot Summer" was just one in a series of Southern-hot-sweaty-sexually titillating movies of the late 50's, which, of course, were on my Must See list as an adolescent. 😏

• "Wild Is The Wind"
  • "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof"
  • "The Sound And The Fury"
  • "The Fugitive Kind"
  • "The Rose Tatoo"
  • "Baby Doll"
  • "God's Little Acre"

"proper" RICHARD ANDERSON was exactly that--- a total "momma's boy".

(According to a conversation between him and Orson Welles, his father had deserted the family.)

No sex, no "gay-ness", no nothing. Just MOM. A great scene is over at his lovely house and grounds, when Joanne Woodward is visiting him, and his MOTHER is strolling around in the far background, coming closer and closer, and quickly appearing when Joanne tries to hug and kiss him.

20 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

"proper" RICHARD ANDERSON was exactly that--- a total "momma's boy".

(According to a conversation between him and Orson Welles, his father had deserted the family.)

No sex, no "gay-ness", no nothing. Just MOM. A great scene is over at his lovely house and grounds, when Joanne Woodward is visiting him, and his MOTHER is strolling around in the far background, coming closer and closer, and quickly appearing when Joanne tries to hug and kiss him.

Richard Anderson's character is sort of like the character of Norman in Peyton Place. There's also a scene of the mother hovering in the background while Norman tries to speak with Allison. But in that case the moviemakers went out of their way to show that he's escaped his mother's grip by the end. Also maybe a little like Mitch in Streetcar, who's eerily deferential to his mother. He's captivated when it's all stars and poetry with Blanche, but he rejects her once Stanley fills her in on the fact that she has a sexual history.

Angela Lansbury is also really good in The Long Hot Summer. She does a great balancing act between being ridiculous and sympathetic. I also love the title song by Jimmie Rogers, who had one of my favorite voices of all-time.

4 hours ago, DougieB said:

Richard Anderson's character is sort of like the character of Norman in Peyton Place.

At firsts I felt that the Anderson character was more like Mitch in The Birds;   Men that don't wish to leave their mother because she doesn't have a husband in her life.   (there is a Birds thread where the mother\son\girlfriends relationships is being discussed).

BUT the title of this thread say Anderson is the sexless man;   This is clearly NOT the case in The Birds with Mitch;.  Also I see no direct correlation between being a mamma's boy and being a sexless man.    I.e. one can be one, without being the other.

What vibe do you get from the Anderson character as it relates to him having sexual desires towards women (or anyone)?    E.g. does he have them but just can commit to marriage because of his mom?    (and if that was the case why not marry her and move her in with mom?).

As you know there are few humans that "who had no interest in her (or him) or anyone else";    I.e. no sexual desires of any kind. 

If you see a glimmer of "sex" anywhere in RICHARD ANDERSON's performance, good for you.

I see a character who is quite happy as he is.

Actually (IMHO) he is more attractive than Paul Newman, who of course is pretty and sexy, but PENNILESS.He also may have a slew of "working-class" ailments common in the Deep South (hookworms being one!).Does he wear underwear?  Can he read and write? We just don't know.

The takeaway from this film is that Joanne Woodward (being well-off and educated) STILL cannot choose

her own husband. This woman has paid her dues. She's even teaching school in this tiny town (for a tiny salary, we can be sure).

But JOANNE must conform, and marry soon.

35 minutes ago, papyrusbeetle said:

If you see a glimmer of "sex" anywhere in RICHARD ANDERSON's performance, good for you.

I see a character who is quite happy as he is.

First who are you taking to with your smarmy comments?   Don't you know how to use the 'quote' feature?  

Anyhow,  yea,  he does come off as sexless;  but AGAIN,   how many human being do you know that are sexless?  He wasn't a Priest (and as we know many of them are NOT sexless).

So there is still the question of why is he sexless;  AGAIN,  being a mommy's boy doesn't mean one is sexless.   It just means they wish to stay with mom to protect her, take care of her,  etc.... 

Typically men that appear to be sexless are so because they wish to remain in the closet due to the social pressure of the times. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

First who are you taking to with your smarmy comments?   Don't you know how to use the 'quote' feature?  

Anyhow,  yea,  he does come off as sexless;  but AGAIN,   how many human being do you know that are sexless?  He wasn't a Priest (and as we know many of them are NOT sexless).

So there is still the question of why is he sexless;  AGAIN,  being a mommy's boy doesn't mean one is sexless.   It just means they wish to stay with mom to protect her, take care of her,  etc.... 

Typically men that appear to be sexless are so because they wish to remain in the closet due to the social pressure of the times. 

I think the argument here is about appearance. Yes, the character appears to be sexless in that he doesn't give off any sexual vibe with the woman in whom he's supposedly "interested". But I think you're right, james, that the real story often lies beneath the appearance. He's going through the motions, but listlessly, without any real commitment. You're right to speculate that his interest may be somewhere else. I can see that I'm going to have to watch this again. Does he have any scenes with either of the men, Paul Newman or Anthony Franciosa? That might reveal something, though any markers the filmmakers would have put in would have been intentionally vague. Anyway, you're right that humans aren't sexless, no matter what kind of personal accomodations they make to their sexual nature.

• Like 1

I wrote about RICHARD ANDERSON'S character:

"who was always happy to accept dinner invitations at her mansion, but who had no interest in her or anyone else. After 5 years of THROWING herself at him, Joanne Woodward gives up."

-------------------

This is the behavior that irritates me. Free meals, conversation, and time-wasting.

What is the MALE version of a "tease"?  Is it RICHARD ANDERSON? What is his agenda?

MUCH of the blame can be laid at the feet of JOANNE WOODWARD. She is certainly not feminine, no matter how she dresses. She is pretty intimidating, like a female cop, in the scene where she yells at the local teenagers taunting LEE REMICK on the porch.

Not to offend her fans, but she is a darned MACHO woman in this film, and it's not attractive.

She's desperate.

She's particularly desperate to pin down RICHARD ANDERSON, because she has no clue how to talk or act around men, or even to enjoy herself generally. She has self-control, but she has no idea of her worth as a woman, and no MOTHER to look to for guidelines to the small, polite behaviors that would put her ABOVE the grim realities of daily life in her small town.

20 minutes ago, papyrusbeetle said:

I wrote about RICHARD ANDERSON'S character:

"who was always happy to accept dinner invitations at her mansion, but who had no interest in her or anyone else. After 5 years of THROWING herself at him, Joanne Woodward gives up."

-------------------

This is the behavior that irritates me. Free meals, conversation, and time-wasting.

What is the MALE version of a "tease"?  Is it RICHARD ANDERSON? What is his agenda?

MUCH of the blame can be laid at the feet of JOANNE WOODWARD. She is certainly not feminine, no matter how she dresses. She is pretty intimidating, like a female cop, in the scene where she yells at the local teenagers taunting LEE REMICK on the porch.

Not to offend her fans, but she is a darned MACHO woman in this film, and it's not attractive.

She's desperate.

She's particularly desperate to pin down RICHARD ANDERSON, because she has no clue how to talk or act around men, or even to enjoy herself generally. She has self-control, but she has no idea of her worth as a woman, and no MOTHER to look to for guidelines to the small, polite behaviors that would put her ABOVE the grim realities of daily life in her small town.

Great points about the Woodward character and her lack of femininity.      

But I hope you can see that this just adds more speculation into what type of human being the Anderson character is interested in,  sexually.    E.g. what is the next logical step from dating a 'darned MACHO women'? 

One option that was NOT shown in a film in 1958, and certainly not mentioned in Faulkner's books was the possibility that RICHARD ANDERSON could visit New Orleans' gay and drag scene in the 1940's and 1950's. The "MY-OH-MY" club, for one. (on the down-low, because what happens in New Orleans stays in New Orleans).

These characters, with a few names changed, live originally in William Faulkner's THE HAMLET (and continue their lives in the rest of the "Snopes" trilogy, THE TOWN, and THE MANSION).

Will Varner is much the same, his beloved wife is still alive, and most of his many children have left town.

All that's left there is JODY, who is not a happy newlywed but a confirmed bachelor devoted to making money, and the girl that Joanne Woodward plays is only 12 years old.

"Ben Quick"(Paul Newman's character) is one of the Snopes tenant-farming clan, and there is the legacy of barn-burning that Will Varner wants to avoid, so he advances Snopes to work in his store.

After that, we enter Faulkner country........

I'd say that this is perfect casting.

Well, despite being a fairly good looking guy, didn't Richard Anderson USUALLY play a "sexless" sort in almost anything he was ever in?

Well, he usually didn't "get the girl" in almost anything he was ever in, right?!

(...and he was in a LOT of movies and TV shows in that long long career of his, remember)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I'd say that this is perfect casting.

Well, despite being a fairly good looking guy, didn't Richard Anderson USUALLY play a "sexless" sort in almost anything he was ever in?

Well, he usually didn't "get the girl" in almost anything he was ever in, right?!

(...and he was in a LOT of movies and TV shows in that long long career of his, remember)

The fact that Oscar Goldman wasn't fired for using his position to get sexual favors from Jamie Sommers, tells me all I need to know.    Jamie was built for many things besides just taking out bad guys!

• Haha 1