Sign in to follow this  
DougieB

POSE (2018)

3 posts in this topic

I just watched the 10th and final episode of the season and realized it hasn't been a subject of discussion here. My television watching is somewhat limited (compared to the gazillions of shows now being produced), but it's hard to imagine anything which has more to offer to gay viewers in particular. I won't pretend to be exceptionally well-versed in the intricacies of LGBTQ culture as they stand at this moment in time, and that's complicated by the fact that the show is set 30 years in the past so that there may be a disconnect in terms of contemporary "political correctness", but I can tell you that my bulls**t meter has been silent.  There have been major performances by tested performers such as the amazing Billy Porter, but also by previously relatively untested actors who have risen to the occasion in a spectacular way. It's a milestone in the history of LGBTQ storytelling and I hope that people who have missed it will seek it out. It's a beautiful testament to the spirits of both community and diversity, which have been the hallmarks of the "gay pride" movement since its beginning, and particularly during that most trying time in our history, the 1980's.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rayban said:

When and where is it on?

I have seen nothing about it.

It was Ryan Murphy's latest project on Fox and it just finished its run. It centers on people involved in the "Paris-Is-Burning"-era club scene in 1980's New York, where gay and/or transgender "matriarchs" and their houses (extended families) walked/posed in competition with each other. The houses were somewhat amorphous and the shifting allegiances come into play in the show. But that's the background; the foreground is these people in their daily lives trying to survive as social outcasts, usually settling for some kind of sex work. The real defining element of the show is the number (I can't tell you how many.) of transgender persons in both the acting and creative aspects of the show. It touches on so many aspects of the era; one character who is cheating on his wife with a transgendered woman with whom he's falling in love works for Trump, so the whole "Wolf of Wall Street" mindset comes into play. His wife and mother to his children undergoes an intricate array of emotions and makes it a goal to meet and understand her husband's lover. One young gay boy who belongs to one of the newer houses is enabled by his "mother" (after having been thrown out of the house by his real family) to pursue a legitimate dance career under scholarship. That particular house is the one we see the inner workings of the most and the mother, Blanca, is a remarkable combination of realist and ethicist in what could be a pretty shady environment. Billy Porter is Pray Tell, the powerhouse queen who "conducts" the balls, whose leadership skills almost fail him when his lover sickens and dies of AIDS.  The level of support offered by and required by these people is enormous and there are breathtaking moments in which they deal head-on with some of the cruelest things life can throw at you. The balls were something to look forward to as reality got uglier for these people.  It's like the very best histories, told by people who know either what it was like or what it must have been like.

th58YDMENF.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1