Sign in to follow this  
harlowkeatongirl

Buster Keaton and Jean Harlow fans in the house?

65 posts in this topic

FYI ... re: Harold Lloyd, now that the June schedule is out, I thought y'all would like to know that four of his films will be shown early in the AM on the 27th (the 26th per TCM's calendar;- )

2:00 AM The Milky Way (1936) A mild-mannered milkman stumbles onto a career in the boxing ring. Harold Lloyd, Adolphe Menjou, Verree Teasdale. D: Leo McCarey. BW 88m.

3:30 AM I Do (1921) In this silent film, a clueless married couple has to care for two precocious children for a night. Harold Lloyd, Mildred Davis, Jackie Morgan. D: Hal Roach. BW 25m.

4:00 AM Hot Water (1924) In this silent film, a newlywed husband has in-law problems. Harold Lloyd, Jobyna Ralston, Josephine Crowell. D: Fred C. Newmeyer, Sam Taylor. BW 60m.

5:00 AM For Heaven's Sake (1926) In this silent film, a millionaire tries to help save souls after he falls for a young mission-worker. Harold Lloyd, Jobyna Ralston, Noah Young. D: Sam Taylor. BW 58m.

Thank you for that schedule, Path40a! :D I'll be sure to get my VCR ready. I like Harold Lloyd and I haven't seen any of his movies in ages.

BTW ----- completely off topic: I have the most stimulating job in the world now. I work at a call center and they picked a handful of us (myself included) because of our dedication, work ethic, and call quality to monitor calls from only one center. A center that calls for authorization. So basically, we get paid to come in, sit in a chair, and read a book. :D I'll need to watch some more TCM to keep my brain cells from shriveling up from lack of use.

<>

No harm done, Carley, I didn't mean you specifically. :) I was just commenting on some general comments below that claimed Buster didn't go for sentimentality like Charlie did. And I was saying he did.. just in his own way. That's all. ;)

And I have not read that Buster Remembered book yet, but I'm working saving up for it.

Hey there "Harlowkeatongirl" and fellow Montanan...where is your hometown? I'm in Missoula, and if you tell me you're in Bozeman, we're in big trouble (smile). But, if it turns out we're fairly close in miles, let's get together some time. It appears that more than a few of us here truly are students of the Silents and the comedians of that day, and that really excites me!

I'm "just about" as big a Keaton fan as I am a Chaplin fan, and I would love to read the book about him that you and LTL are talking about. Is it good? And, if "The General" is finally out on DVD, and is as good as someone reported, I'll have that on my Christmas List for sure!

ML

For Buster's later appearances, see "Mad Mad Mad Mad World" "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" a VERY funny movie. "He raped Thrace thrice???" and he was also in a coupla those "Muscle-head Beach Blanket Bingo Party Stuffed in a Wild Bikini" type movies with Harvey Lembeck as that resident intellectual "Baron Von Zipper."and his imortal philosophy of "You Stupid!!!" Did I mention that Annette and Frankie were in these things too? ...well never mind....

Hey "Harlowkeatonfan", if you want to see more Harold Lloyd sooner than June, TCM on April 20th in celebration of his One-hundred and eleventh Birthday will be running a marathon of Lloyd features and shorts! Titles include GRANDMAS BOY and WHY WORRY? two of his finest films.

There will also be a newly restored print of Lloyd's 1964 compilation THE FUNNY SIDE OF LIFE. To my knowledge this picture has never aired on television before! Plus some debuting two-reel shorts! You don't even have to wait that long though, because I have all Eleven of Mr. Lloyd's Silent features full-length and un-edited on DVD-R, right now as we speak! I also have all three of his Three-reelers from 1921, and several two-reelers as well! Most of these are burned and ready to ship! The recordings are from last springs Harold Lloyd "Star of The Month festival" which aired during April of 2003. My home productions were processed from true Super VHS Masters so all are very good quality! In fact they look razor sharp!

These prints are primarily the restored editions by Jeffrey Vance that the Trust has prepared in it's attempt to sign an eventual DVD contract with someone. I also have the 1992 Thames British television versions. I would happily make you some copies of any of the films you haven't seen or would like to add to your collection! This same offer applies to any "Silent comedy fans" and or "Lloyd fanatics" out there!

Hi Gagman66 ~ Thanks for that info, too! I'd heard that, but I was getting it confused with the dates you mentioned. Glad I won't have to wait until June. :D

Hi Slappy3500 ~ A lot of Buster's later work had alluded me still. That "Bikini" movie was scheduled for early this morning on Starz, but I didn't see it listed. Was kind of a bummer. I saw "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" years about when I was about 10 or 11 years old and I didn't get a lot of the humor then. Only vivid memory I have is a scene of some old guy dying and -kicking the bucket.. literally. A tin one. :P

Hi Classicsfan1119 ~ Email me and we'll talk!

And last but not least a little picture for y'all:

http://silentgents.com/Keaton/Keaton214.jpg

:D

Love both Keaton and Harlow

Just bought "Around the World in 80 Days" on DVD and smiled when I saw Keaton on jazzed up in a great restoration job.

Red Dust was great. Dinner At Eight delightful. Platinum Blonde hilarious.

Love both Keaton and Harlow

Just bought "Around the World in 80 Days" on DVD and smiled when I saw Keaton on jazzed up in a great restoration job.

Red Dust was great. Dinner At Eight delightful. Platinum Blonde hilarious.

Still confused on how this board works, I don't find it easily maneuverable. E.G., this note from March is above the notes from May. I always have to sign in. It is difficult to find the last post.

No matter, harlowkeatongirl, I agree. I just found out...can't remember how exactly...that TCM had a message board, and am quite happy to do so.

Buster Keaton and Jean Harlow are two big favorites of mine, for personal reasons that I can't explain. Charlie Chaplin annoys the beejeezus out of me, while I consider Keaton and Harold Lloyd to be brilliant. Keaton's timing was extraordinary, as was Lloyd's. Have you paid close attention to Lloyd, harlowkeatongirl? I wager you would like him if you did. Even one of his last performance, 'Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum' was enjoyable. The man was a genius, highly underrated when held next to Chaplin, imo.

I also consider Harlow in the same vein. Highly underrated, cut short in her prime, and very talented. It was simply a crime that she was struck down as early as she was, but she has given audiences glimpses into a talent that would have only grown, exponentially, had she been given medical attention and been allowed to live, by the powers that be. What a shame.

I'm curious to see what Jackie Chan has done w/his role in the remake of "Around The World In 80 Days" coming out soon. It's a well-known fact what a huge of Mr. Keaton he is. And Mr. K had a cameo in the original... so no doubt if we watch closely, we'll see some respectful imitation going on. ;)

Say "Harlowkeatongirl" least you forget it is also a well documented fact how big of a Harold Lloyd fan that Jackie Chan is. Harold has even been descibed as Chan's idol!

By the way, I seriously suggest you take me up on my previous offer concerning those Harold DVD-R's. I have just added brand new musical menu's to my presentations, and have come up with some really cool slim line jewel case inserts! It is doubtful that Kino's up coming disc's will look any better than mine do! Any collector would be thrilled to own copies of the disc's I have designed!

To be honest. He's charming.. but mostly I find him very uninteresting. Sorry.

Move on, please.... :)

> Say "Harlowkeatongirl" least you forget it is also a

> well documented fact how big of a Harold Lloyd fan

> that Jackie Chan is. Harold has even been descibed as

> Chan's idol!

>

> By the way, I seriously suggest you take me up on my

> previous offer concerning those Harold DVD-R's. I

> have just added brand new musical menu's to my

> presentations, and have come up with some really cool

> slim line jewel case inserts! It is doubtful that

> Kino's up coming disc's will look any better than

> mine do! Any collector would be thrilled to own

> copies of the disc's I have designed!

It's your loss "Harlowkeatongirl" again you don't like me and don't respect my opinion's that's rather obvious. So your view is automatically bias. Again it seems you've only viewed a handful of poor quality and incomplete shorts made before Harold even hit his stride. So your lack of enthusiasm is understandable up to a point.

I have been posting fairly regularly and these post's had nothing whatsoever to do with you. So again you see me as a pariah, intent on making you miserable. That is the direct opposite of my intent. The problem you have with me is apparently how dare I suggest that Buster Keaton isn't necessarily at the center of the slapstick (or for that matter film )universe? That's to much to bare, but why would you want your personal destain for me to limit your own foresight that hey, their's still allot of other quality stuff out there that I maybe haven't seen yet? Damn it! Just give me your name and address, and I'll send you these blasted DVD's (that's 10 complete programs, well over 20 films) for nothing! I guarantee you that no else is going to do that! Likewise I positively guarantee that you will be delighted by them!

When I post something I say "Here's a movie that's on at this time... if you want to watch it. Here is a link... if you want to look at it."

More than once you've altered the subject so that your precious Lloyd will get mentioned, too. LOL It's like he's not getting enough attention for you. And you won't be happy until I make sure to include him in every conversation I have. Everyone here has their favorites. I don't know why you're so bent on following me around and altering my opinion.

And that's true. Keaton's the center of MY silent film universe. :) (And in one word, I wouldn't call what he does necessarily "slapstick.") I post the Keaton stuff for people who are interested. I always state that. I always say something like "For people who like Keaton"... etc.

Unlike you, I don't try to shove it down people's throats.

And now... after you want me to give you my personal information so you can send these things off for free?

Do you hear yourself? Your desperation alone makes you obnoxious.

This is simply not true. Most people who have a fair idea on the subject would call me nut's for offering to send you free DVD's! For they know how rare and hard to get your hands on these titles truly are! I said nothing of any kind about Harold Lloyd when defending Chaplin, and you still attacked me anyway! As if this too was unacceptable in your book. You must be willing to face the fact Miss though that without Chaplin paving the way, their would probably have been no Keaton, as I must admit their would have been no Harold either!

I whole-heartily agree with you also that Keaton's craft shouldn't just be refereed to as "Slapstick" any more than Chaplin's or Lloyd's should be. As for you not being that interested in Harold Lloyd the film maker, how can you not be? If you love silent comedy and the 1920's, well Simply put "HE IS THE 1920's!"

Most people consider me to be a very honest and forth wright person and almost no one apart from you has been continually second guessing my motives! Do I want Harold to get increased exposure and recognition? Of course I do. Is their anything wrong with this, I can't imagine you thinking that their is?

I'm not trying to change your opinion not in the slightest. Even though I'm convinced I can endear you to Harold, with the same fervor and passion you currently reserve for Buster alone. I just want you to expand your knowledge of silent comedy as a whole. I would have sent you a disc or two, weeks ago if I had the information I had needed and that's a heartfelt and sincere gesture. I merely ask you to keep an open mind and don't be so overt to opposing points of view. Their's no desperation in my actions, of any kind. Legally I'm not allowed to charge you anything for many of these titles. As I have commented elsewhere, I am not a bootlegger. I have no desire to become one. I just would like to know why you can't take me for anything but a perpetual villain?

> If you love silent

> comedy and the 1920's, well Simply put "HE IS THE

> 1920's!"

To paraphrase one of my all-time favorite movies: "If he is the '20s then I'm a Vinicious Knid!" :D (You can figure out the movie.)

Of course that's just my opinion. It was too diverse and interesting a decade to be summed up in one single person, no matter how talented.

> Most people consider me to be a very honest and forth

> wright person and almost no one apart from you has

> been continually second guessing my motives! Do I

> want Harold to get increased exposure and

> recognition? Of course I do. Is their anything wrong

> with this, I can't imagine you thinking that their

> is?

There is something wrong w/it, if you're constantly interjecting the subject in the oddest places. Once I posted a link to a website Keaton fans might enjoy and you started in all over again.... and it had nothing to do w/the topic... and then on top of that, you accused a certain Keaton film of "not being that funny"?

It's like.... Okay..great to know it.. that's your opinion... but what did that have to do w/anything? Sorry... but if I were you, I'd second guess how great Lloyd is, if you have to bring Keaton down to bring him up. ;)

> Even though I'm convinced I can endear you

> to Harold, with the same fervor and passion you

> currently reserve for Buster alone.

Thanks, but I'll decide for myself (just like everybody else) what I like and what I don't. I'm a huge fan of Bette Midler. I think she's a fantastic singer and she's a great actress. And yet I have very little interest in exploring her resume or starting a Bette Midler collection. My opinion is the same of Lloyd. If a movie is on, I'll catch it. But he is not interesting enough to me to want to become as big a fan as you. Or to begin collecting his movies. I can always tell straight away f I'm going to be a die-hard fan long-term. Every single artist I like THAT much... Keaton, Gene Wilder, Tim Curry, etc...... they all "got me" right away. There was a uniqueness that appealed to me. Lloyd, although I like him, does NOT have that for me.

And you can't force that kind of thing. You try to... all the time. :P

> I just want you

> to expand your knowledge of silent comedy as a whole.

Two of my favorite artists are Buster Keaton and Richard Pryor. I'd say I have a pretty open mind. I just don't like things shoved down my throat every other time I type a post.....

> I just would like to know why

> you can't take me for anything but a perpetual

> villain?

Move on. :)

Look "Harlowkeatongirl" I know that you regard me as the absolute scum of the earth, but I'm not trying in anyway to force anything on you! The fact is you do not realize in anyway what you are passing up my friend! (If I'm aloud to refer to you as such?)

In the past year hundreds of people have come to me, people I didn't even know from adam and they said yes we want DVD's of this Harold Lloyd feature or that one. I just got a new E-mail this morning! They came to me because their efforts to obtain these films elsewhere met with futility! They just couldn't get these films anywhere else and they desperately wanted to obtain them! Or in any event if they could get them elsewhere the people that had them were two lazy to make up programs and or wanted to charge them an arm and a leg to do so!

I've seen the extremely rare 2001 Japanese DVD releases (now both out of print) of both SAFETY LAST and THE FRESHMAN sell on Ebay for $75.00 a piece! In addition in March 2003 on Ebay a out of print HBO/Thames editions box set of 5 Lloyd silent features (SAFETY LAST, GIRL SHY, HOT WATER, THE KID BROTHER and SPEEDY) on VHS sold for a staggering $264.00! It wasn't even factory sealed it was used! So another words people will pay allot of money for these titles that I offered to send you for free!

Just last night I got a response from Annette Lloyd! She is no relation to Harold but she has written a recent book on her favorite subject! You can visit her wonderful web-site haroldlloyd.us. I was amazed she even responded to my inquiry at all!

Here's the deal though sweetie (you probably resent me calling you that too?) Harold Lloyd's work for the most part has been locked away from the world but for very brief breathes of air ever so often for over 30 years!

These films are extremely rare and hard to find, some of them hadn't been viewed in their entirety since their original release until last year by all but a handful of people!

Because of this the very name Harold Lloyd has virtually faded from the public conciseness. He has slipped to a very distant third place well behind both Chaplin and Keaton, because his work just wasn't their to defend itself! Various misperceptions have also taken place about just who and what he was, and more importantly what his films and even his character were really like. Most of them anything but accurate.

Lloyd features such as GRANDMAS BOY, GIRL SHY, and THE KID BROTHER for example are some of the most heart warming fair ever put on film! GIRL SHY quite literally set the model for what was to become known as the great romantic comedy! Yet it is still better known today for it's elaborate chase climax.

To many silent film buffs and just plain film buffs in general Harold Lloyd remains a largely undiscovered country! You will be completely astounded and enchanted by what you will find in that country! For it is not what one expects.

P.S. If there was any chance I saw and felt that "certain something" in Lloyd and there was any chance whatsoever I'd like him enough to start collecting him...

(which, I can assure you 100% there wasn't)...

any slim chance there might've been, is virtually nil now. There's no way I could associate happiness w/him now, since I would also be thinking of you.

:)

All right, kiddies. I would like to ask you both to stop this crap, or at least take it off of our boards if you must continue to have this ugly little flame-fest with one another. I'm sick of seeing it being carried on here. This is MY site to, so I have every right to ask you to show me and TCM some respect if you have none left for each other, and stop this! ML

Will somebody out there anybody objectively please, I mean please tell me why "Harlowkeatongirl" hates my gut's as much as she does? Because I haven't a clue? No matter how nice I try to be, or how hard I try to make amends it seems it's just no use!

I had fully intended to respond to her with a lengthy post about how much I love and admire the work of all three of the great silent comedians, with special positive emphasis this time on Mr. Keaton, but somehow it all got deleted!

Why I was even going to offer you know who a free copy of a disc I'm working on consisting of the out of print Thames version's of Buster's OUR HOSPITALITY and THE GENERAL as well as the very hard to come by VINCE GIORDANO SCORED version of SHERLOCK JUNIOR! Complete with menu's thumbnails, chapter index and the like. It doesn't appear any of the three editions of these films will ever see the light of day on DVD! Now all this and more will have to wait for another day! Some times it just doesn't pay to get up out of bed!

Gagman, all I can and will tell you at this point is that it's PAST time to drop this issue with HKG. I seriously doubt if anyone other than HKG can answer your "Why does she hate me?" question, and it's time for you to stop trying to involve the rest of us in this spat you're having with her. If you need to further communication with her, please get her e-mail address and continue this nonsense off these boards. We have far better things to be discussing here.

Personally, I have found most of your posts about Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton to be informative. Let's try to get back to that without all the flaming...and I'm talking here to both of you. Thank you! ML