Sign in to follow this  
rhonda37216

What's your fave Bette Davis movie(s)?

73 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome Rhonda, Philly and Keith! I hope you enjoy posting here. I'm still fairly new here and look at all my posts! I can't stay away it's so much fun!

As for Bette, ooh, I'm going to get it now. I believe I have seen just about every film she ever made and, with rare exceptions, I don't really care for much of anything she did after THE PETRIFIED FOREST (WB/1936). DARK VICTORY and NOW VOYAGER are fine films and she is excellent in a 1980's tv movie called STRANGERS, co-starring Gena Rowlands, but after PETRIFIED FOREST she started to become waaaaaay too mannered and stylized for my tastes. I can't stand it when I see someone ACTING instead of BEING. That's why I don't like Olivier or Deniro, but instead prefer character actors like Peter Lorre or Walter Brennan, who always seemed to BE the characters they were playing. No, sorry, for me Bette Davis after 1936 is for the most part, just a bunch of tics and blinks and mannerisms, not characters.

well gee whiz, prof, you welcomed everybody but me. alas, i'm sad. so sad ;-( i love Bette Davis too (pouting,but still looking cute! lol!)

My most sincere apologies, Dott. I had been looking at the number of posts under people's names and welcomed those three who seemed to be newcomers. You looked like you were fast on your way to being a regular, however there are no excuses for my rudeness. By all means WELCOME! Feel free to chastise me whenever you want, I'm used to it. Awww, the poor little self-pitying Prof.... LOL! ;)

Bette is my all time favorite. I started watching her movies when I was a teenager. They were broadcast on UHF, I'm sure that dates me, I can't even remember what UHF stood for. They were the non-network, local stations and we had 3 of them, bringing the grand total of stations to 6 plus one PBS station. I digress - anyway, I have these stations to thank for my lifelong love of classic films and particularly the films of Bette Davis. My favorites are: The Letter, Dark Victory, Jezebel, Now Voyager. I wish there were more of her films on DVD. I will say, though, that when her acting was bad, it could be pretty bad and sooo stilted. I'm lucky enough to live near one of the 2 Movies Unlimited video rental stores (the company that sells movie on the TCM site) and so I've been able to rent some movies I'd never heard of. I rented one that was billed as a Bette Davis film a few weeks ago called "Phone Call from a Stranger". She's only in the last 5 minutes - it's a really interesting movie - but her performance was so stilted. I even enjoy her bad performances now, though, because they're just so Bette. Lately, I've become addicted to Ebay because I just discovered they have some new Bette Davis items - magnets, purse and a Tshirt (which I have been looking for for years and years) to fuel my obsession. Does anyone know a site/store that sells products with classic Hollywood images on them? Please forgive my long-windedness, this is only my 2nd post but I tend to rhapsodize on my favorite of all time.

Hello and welcome Rags! I hope you enjoy posting and meeting new people.

UHF=Ultra High Frequency

You may have to search around for this, but Bette gave two truly great performances in her later years, minus the stilted mannerisms for the most part. Both were made for television. One is STRANGERS: THE STORY OF A MOTHER AND DAUGHTER from 1979, co-starring Gena Rowlands. The other is RIGHT OF WAY from 1983, co-starring James Stewart. I won't spoil the plots for you, but trust me, it was the finest acting Bette had done in a long time. Both films are very powerful and moving and show just how good made for tv movies were at one time. I know each had a VHS release many years ago and may be found in older video stores or on Ebay. Neither is on DVD to my knowledge. I hope you get a chance to see them if you haven't already.

Oh, my goodness, I love her in everything but especially in Now Voyager, Dark Victory, that movie she did with Miriam Hopkins set during the civil war (such a touching movie) and her edgy modern pieces where she wasn't always good and she wasn't always glamorous. They don't make stars like Bette anymore, at least not in the US.

Mandarin Parade--I think the Miriam Hopkins/Bette Davis movie you're thinking of (set during the Civil War) was "The Old Maid." Jane Bryan played her grown up daughter, I think. Anyway, it's a great film. But if Ms. Davis is in it, you know it's good.

That's it! I still don't think I have seen that movie from start to finish, although this last time I saw almost all of it but the beginning, but I really like this movie--particularly because she worked with Miriam Hopkins in it. I like Miriam Hopkins but rarely see her in anything.

I caught part of a good Davis movie on TCM last week--MARKED WOMAN. I wish I had taped it! I saw it several years ago on VHS tape. I can't think of a movie in which Davis gives an uninteresting performance. My faves would have to be ALL ABOUT EVE, MR. SKEFFINGTON. Anyone here seen DEAD RINGER? Strange and campy Davis at her best!

Yes! saw "Dead Ringer" in the 60's in the theatre when

it first came out i could barely eat my buttered pop corn

i was on the edge of my seat Bette gave a incredible

performance but even as a young impressionable person

i could tell the butler knew that she was the twin sister!...and thinking to myself how could she remember all that dialogue from both characters!...Remember i was

young folks! Karl Malden was perfect in that role in my opinon Peter Lawford was so so really didn't impress me

in this role.Anyone who loves Bette Davis must see this

movie.Also at the end of the movie that is really the

Warner Bros. studio they drive out of.....

loliteblue, I caught DEAD RINGER on tv one day and I could not tear myself away. Peter Lawford seemed kind of sleazy to me in this one. I agree Karl Malden was great.

What is the name of the other Davis twin movie? Drawing a terrible blank! The one with Glenn Ford, and the lighthouse, Carol Burnett spoofed it on her tv show...help!

Sandy K

Hey, ML! Thank you! I could not think of that title for the life of me!

I've been busy with work lately. I directed a children's theatre production of Charlotte's Web and I am in production for another show right now. The holiday weekend is giving me some time to catch up on a month's worth of posts!

Sandy K

I watched "Mr. Skeffington" again last week on TCM and was knocked out of my seat--as always--by Bette's extraordinary performance as the vain, beautiful, vicious Fannie Skeffington. Franz Waxman's score really enhanced this long movie treasure and Orry-Kelley's costumes that showed Fannie going fromt turn-of-the-century belle to disfigured hag of the early 40s are unforgettable. The most powerful sequence is when Fannie is left alone in her big Grammercy Park Mansion--with her daughter marrying the guy who Fanny was earlier having an afair with! Bravo to Bette and Claude Rains who played the long-suffering Job

paty,

I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to tape "Mr. Skeffington" on April 5, when it was last on, especially after reading your valued input about it. It has been on my list of "must see TCM" for a while but because I was out of town (watching my team play in the NCAA Final Four in San Antonio) I wasn't able to program my VCR!!! I hope that TCM will show this film again soon.

I usually read the TV guide on Sunday morning's to program my VCR for the week so, oftentimes, I also miss taping some films which are shown by TCM early on Sundays. BTW, don't let it happen to you this week 'cause another great Bette Davis film, The Letter, is being shown this Sunday morning at 8 AM!

Path, by all means, tape "The Letter"--one of Hollywood's great dramas. William Wyler directs and the cast is fantastic. Frankly, I like Bette in more flamboyant, over-the-top roles, like "In This Our Life" and "Beyond the Forest." In "the Letter," she's icy cold and evil as a king cobra to her hubby, Herbert Marshall, who also played her tragic husband in The Little Foxes. As weird as it sounds, in the early talkie version of "The Letter," filmed in l929, the legendary Jeanne Eagels portrays anti-heroine Leslie Crosby. The French director, for some bizarre reason, inserted a scene of a blood-curdling battle between a King Cobra and a mongoose for symbolic reasons. Those who remember seeing Eagels say she gave an amazing performance and her biographers state her portrayal was fueled by the massive amount of heroin and cocaine she was taking at the time and which eventually killed her.

Ive seen most available as of now and NOW VOYAGER W/

Paul Henreid is one that I watch every time it is on.

I tape most every movie every time they are on and watch them over and over.It doesn't hurt when she is teamed up with Bogart,Leslie Howard,Olivia DeHavilland,Errol Flynn

and especially Claude Raines

I loved her in The Petrified Forest ('36) with Leslie Howard and Humphrey Bogart (in the movie that really started his career). I loved the story and the acting was great all around. Bette's character was especially great, playing a very small town girl. Her performance is just so heartbreaking, sincere, and poignant. I also like June Bride('48?) with Robert Montgomery. It was a cute romantic comedy with Bette as boss of Montgomery. (I think it was Montgomery)

thank you professor, i feel happy and welcome now. thank you for your warm and sincere welcome. ;-) last week, i saw one of my favorite Bette Davis Movies, "Mr Skeffington" that was such a great movie. both bette and claude rains deserved an oscar for their roles. claude raines played in several pictures with her. i wonder if they were lovers in real life?

hey Path, i remember seeing "In This Our Life" but, i forgot how the plot went. was that the movie when Bette plays the evil sister who took her sister's fiance?

yeah patty, bette did work that role and she was vain. very vain indeed. but she made up for it in the end when she took claude raines back in. Great movie!

Bette Davis Rocked!!!

The Letter

The Man Who Came to Dinner

Of Human Bondage

Petrified Forest

Dark Victory

In This Our Life

Jezebel

Juarez