Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

?The War Lover?, great film!

3 posts in this topic

Wow, this looked like a War film from the 1940s!

Where did they get all those B17s for filming in 1962?

The director matched the stuff he shot with the old war footage very well. I didn?t notice any models until that last scene.

How odd to see a 1940s style War movie with Steve McQueen and Robert Wagner in it. I kept expecting to see Clark Gable, Gregory Peck, and Dean Jagger to enter the picture. :)

The War Lover and Hell is for Heroes are two of my all time favorite WWII films!

Steve made both of these right before he was asked to make The Great Escape. He almost turned the role down because he had just made 2 WWII pictures that did not do good at the box office and he was worried about his career. I believe because Steve was such a motorcycle fan, he changed his mind when he was able to do his own stunt riding in the picture.

The War Lover is great and I remember after I saw it for the first time on TCM back in 03, I immediately went to the place I got my movies in New Haven and ordered the DVD. Funny thing is I just watched it yesterday because I am without cable at the moment.

Great, great movie. Someone needs to post some screen shots. the flying scenes in "The Body" are great, so is the tension between Robert Wagner's character and McQueen's.

Great thread Fred!

Where did they get all those B17s for filming in 1962?

The same place they got them for the TV series version of 12 O'Clock High, which ran from 1964-67. There were just more of them still flying then, though editing tricks made you think you're seeing more than were really there.

Just remember all the serviceable B-25's Mike Nichols was able to secure as late as 1968 for filming CATCH-22. Can't do that now.