Sign in to follow this  
TripleHHH

Favorite / Best Laurel and Hardy Films

23 posts in this topic

I wanted to know what L&H films are members favorites and which are considered their best work

So far Way Out West and Blockheads seem to be the big 2, but they did lots of others from silents to the 1950s..

Ive heard that the post Hal Roach era ones werent as good.

I am a big Abbott and Costello fan, pretty much like all of them save for Africa Screams & Dance with Me Henry. I dont know if ID like all the L&H films, but since I like almost all the A&C films...

Any feedback is welcome :) & thanks !

Other than the two L&H feature films you mention you can add "Sons of The Desert." You are right in that most of the post Roach features are not up to their standards and MGM had a lot to with that situation. "Pardon Us" and "Our Relations" are others to check out. They also did a couple of "Operetta" type features which had varying success.

If you want to talk short films than you are talking the bulk of their work until about 1934. Many of the silents can be had by DVD but better to rent them if you are seeking strictly L&H fare as they contain shorts by others and really early solo shorts.

Some of their best shorts are "The Music Box", "Big Business", "Brats", "Help Mates", "Putting Pants on Philip", "Hog Wild", "Laughing Gravy", "Me and My Pal","County Hospital", "Blotto" and a host of others. Some were not so good but I think you will find that list shorter.

Feature film for me would have to be "Pardon Us" 1931

Short would be "The Music Box" 1932

Everything else is second........!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE L&H, and the fact that they loved each other as friends makes it all the better.

I just ordered the L & H collection Region 2 set 21 discs...those are the best from what I gathered..I just wished I ordered from a company I could trust or have used before but it was too good a deal ..

tripleHHH.....you HAVE to get this book...!!!! It's on E-Bay for $5. I have it, and it's very nice!

LAUREL & HARDY

Text by John McCabe - Compiled by Al Kilgore

Filmography by Richard W.Bann

Barnes & Noble

Love 'em all, but have special regard for SONS OF THE DESERT and CHICKENS COME HOME.

Would be nice if TCM could show their silent shorts sometime. Also OUR GANG

I just picked up the Region 2 PAL universal 21 disc set of Laurel & Hardy classic movies & shorts..pricey but boy it is worth it

I now own that set, the TCM archive set, Flying Deuces, and Vol. 1 of another box set that has the Big Noise,Jitterbugs,etc..

wait until I get the Abbott and Costello set...

A & C and L & H together as they only can be in 2008...with me in my DVD collection

Laughter and smiles aplenty for me which is very healthy in life..

About MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS: I agree 1,000%. I think it's the funniest picture they ever did -- although the scene where

Hardy gets dunked is kind of sadistic; but then, there's a lot of pain in comedy. I wonder whatever happened to Charlotte Henry? She was gorgeous, but her career never took off. I remember her in ALICE IN WONDERLAND, but that's about all.

March of the wooden soldiers is good and it makes a good Christmas movie. Here's the But: It doesn't hold up the same way that Sons of the Desert or Way Out West do. The physical comedy in Way Out west is pretty amazing. The songs from Way out West have stayed with me since childhood.

"Nothing But Trouble" is available in a Warner Bros. DVD box set, "Classic Comedy Teams Collection," along with 2 Abbott & Costello MGM features and 2 obscure features with the Stooges.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but a personal favorite of mine is their last feature, "Atoll K". Certainly not up to the standard of their Hal Roach films, and I will never claim that it is, but I just think it deserves more appreciation and respect than it has received over the years. Sure, it's hard to watch sometimes because of how sick Stan looks, but I'm okay with that because I know that soon after finishing "Atoll K" he recovered and looked happy and healthy (it is especially nice to see how good he looked in the great Erskine Johnson-Coy Watson Hollywood Reel entry "Close Ups And Long Shots" from 1951).

Another reason I like "Atoll K" more than most of L & H's other post-Roach films is because they're not being given inappropriate stuff to do, and not being called idiots or being portrayed as the stupid incompetent morons that they were in bad films like "Air Raid Wardens".

So I urge people to give "Atoll K" a chance, and understand the conditions under which it was made, and make allowances for that. And if you can find the complete version that includes two nice songs by Suzy Delair, you'll enjoy it even more, plus have extra scenes that help explain the plot.

Message was edited by: musicalnovelty

Both of the boys are tough to watch. Stan, as you say, being so sick and Ollie was so over weight is was scary. They were also at an age where some of this stuff was hard to pull off. I saw the film once years ago and what I remember was it was a terrible print and not all that funny. Having a multinational production was rough too.

Some of the late films are tough to watch because they weren't very good. By that time the studios thought they knew better. (Sure they did.)

I would have loved to have seen the boys on the tours of England. I heard the shows went very well and they were greatly loved there.

The Music Box and County Hospital really make me laugh every time.....

When I was little, I used to love The Bohemian Girl and Fra Diavolo, although I haven't seen that one in years, and I think it has been retitled...

The numbers in Way Out West are my favorite thing they ever did.....

I enjoy the **** for tat movies, including **** for Tat, Big Business, Two Tars, etc...

And Beau Hunks.....

And Liberty is another silent favorite.

Oh just watch all of them...... :).

Wendy:

I had no idea you were a fan. "Fra Diavolo" also goes by its English translation "The Devil's Brother."

"Them That Hills" and "**** For Tat" were the only films they made that one was a planned dequel for the other.

What is too bad that except for "Big Business" not many of their silents get much exposure.

In May TCM is showing "The Laurel and Hardy Murder Case."

*Oh just watch all of them...... .*

I agree completely.

Chris, I had a silent movie projector when I was a kid - my dad gave it to me. The Laurel and Hardy ones were my favorites - I had Double Whoopee too, and I think Wrong Again. I used to love to watch Jean Harlow get her skirt torn off......

The local library also had super 8 movies to borrow. The Laurel and hardy silents are great fun to show at parties, kids get such a kick out of them. My daughter STILL asks me about "the fat one and the thin one" from watching TCM's day of L&H movies.....

"The Music Box" is definitely my favorite Laurel and Hardy film. The "fight" with Lupe Velez in the saloon is my favorite moment. Can't think of that film title right now. That clip is on youtube.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> The "fight" with Lupe Velez in the saloon is my favorite moment. Can't think of that film title right now. That clip is on youtube.

[HOLLYWOOD PARTY (1934)|http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=213]