Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

Serials & Horrors

302 posts in this topic

Guest son, jery

I think a good "beginner" serial to watch, if you haven't seen any before, might be "Adventures of Captain Marvel" or better still, "Dare Devils of the Red Circle." The kids should love these two. Also, they aren't westerns and are so super clean, youngsters should have a ball. Another great non-western is of course, the ultimate, "Spy Smasher" and then "G-Men versus the Black Dragon." Robert Wilcox, the star of "Mysterious Doctor Satan," was fabulous. Gorgeous, great voice, but he married hard-luck dame, Diana Barrymore, and they both drank away their careers. Alix, thanks for the note about Johnny Mack Brown. Strangely, I don't want to see my Adonis in a western picture. I can't watch him in anything except a Roaring Twenties flapper setting.

Guest Zolkov, Bob

I greatly enjoy classic black and white horror movies and never tire of viewing such great old films as THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE THING, CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE and THE WOLFMAN. Although, I have to admit that William Defoe was excellent in the recent movie, SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE. It's difficult to select an all time favorite with so many fine old movies to pick from, but I'd have to choose THE THING as my personal favorite.

Guest walker, ken

Alix, The two serials that Jery son gave you for starters were excellent choices,especially "CAPTAIN MARVEL".This was probably the best serial produced by Republic or any other company.Photography,music,and acting are first rate.Tom Tyler as the Captain and Frank Coghlan,jr.as his alter ego ,Billy Batson,are well cast.Louise Currie is fine in the female lead.Most important is the stunt work by David Sharpe who doubles for Tom Tyler.Sharpe was a good actor and proved it in"DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE"as one of the leads.Both serials have great villians,with Daredevils having the edge with serial veteran Charles Middleton,as the chief baddie.Also look for Carole Landis as the female lead in Daredevils of The Red Circle. "Dr.Satan has sci-fi overtones which are well done.You wont go wrong with these three!!..........KW

Guest Alix

Re: Johnny Mack Brown. I saw on Ebay the other day Johnny's college yearbook! Well, not HIS yearbook, but the yearbook from the college he attended, and boy was be gorgeous in his football regalia! Don't know how much it went for, or if anyone even bid on it, but he looked fabulous!

Guest Alix

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I sure want to order a set and see what it's all about.

Guest son, jery

oh, Alix! I'm having a fainting spell after reading your news about my fabulous Babe-a-Licious Johnny Mack Brown in his football regalia in the yearbook! It'll probably cost a fortune but I'm going to check it out anyway. Anything he did in his Roaring Twenties period was Absolutely Fabulistic! For another really sexy, all-American hunk, you should take a look at that drool-a-baby ****, Rod Cameron in "G-Men versus the Black Dragon", a Republic serial. He looks exactly like Dick Tracy--square jawed, great bod and all.

Guest son, jery

Here's an interesting tidbit about the adorable Louise Currie, star of serials ("Captain Marvel" and low-budget horrors like "The Ape Man," etc: Louise became a millionaire because of her phenomenal interior decorating empire. She lives in a palatial mansion up in the Beverly Hills. It's ironic to think that people remember Louise as the star of cheap little B movies. But she ended up better off than many of the superstars who looked down on her type of performer, stars like Bette Davis, Miriam Hopkins, Kay Francis, Joan Crawford.

Guest son, jery

Bob, your choices for horror movies are great! Especially "The Thing." I watch both versions--the l950 and the John Carpenter--about once a month.Also, another goodie you might want to check out is "Night Monster", a Universal horror classic from l942 with a knockout cast--Doris Lloyd, Fay Helm--and great photography with the musical score from "The Wolf Man" and "Son of Frankenstein" intermixed. Also, Val Lewton's "The Seventh Victim" is a really off-beat chiller.

Guest walker, ken

Jery son, Check out this web site[captainbijou.com ] for the Whitney book and serial books I mentioned earlier.Also check their serial and horror listings.There might be something of interest to you. Good hunting! kw

Guest son, jery

thanks, Ken, I will definitely check out the captainbijour website. i'm having lots of fun with the other one you mentioned, VCI, etc. if you're into the silents--which i am--you might really enjoy browsing through Grapevinevideo.com. I'm watching my Colleen Moore comedy, "Orchids and Ermine," (1927) right now. I'm dying to see Mae Murray in anything. Have you ever seen the l930 serial, "The Indians Are Coming!"? I've heard it was really something else. great title.

Guest Zolkov, Bob

jery son, I'll make a point of viewing both NIGHT MONSTER and THE SEVENTH VICTIM, if I can find them. Thanks for the suggestion! Although I enjoy classic horror films and have a rather nice collection, I sometimes stray into the realm of human monsters. At times, I find the human ones to be more scary than the "real" ones. Two such films come to mind.....NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE. What do you think; or have I strayed too far from the genre?

Guest Alix

Jery, you know I always put Johnny in the "borderline" babe-a-licious category, but let me tell you, he was FINE LOOKING in his college football picture. I hope you can find it. I located it by doing a search with just his name, "Johnny Mack Brown" on Ebay. Wouldn't it be too cool if YOU won it??? Crossing my fingers for you! Let me know if you found it, and if you won!

Guest Alix

Jery, how can you watch a silent movie and type on the computer at the same time??

Guest Alix

Sorry, I checked on ebay, and the auction ended. I saw it last week, and guess I assumed it'd just been posted. The book sold for $39.00 (not a **bad** deal, I'd say). If you still want to see the picture (and believe me, it's worth seeing), try searching in the "completed items" section. Here is the item number, if that'll help you: 1056666763. You should really go to see the photo, if nothing else. He's got a big smile, he's wearing the uniform and one beautiful black curl has escaped and sits on his forehead! Unbelievable.

Guest walker, ken

aery son, I hope your having fun with the www.captainbijou.com web site. I'll check out the web you gave me for silents.At present I get my silent movies from Kino.Their transfers are excellent! Another great horror film site is sinistercinema.com Check it out. The movie "THE INDIANS ARE COMING",is an early Universal serial released in both silent and sound versions. Its major asset was its star,Tim McCoy. It was released in 1930.I saw a couple of chapters when it was reissued in the 40's.,so I dont remember too much about it.I do know that many of the Universal western serials utilized stock footage from this serial. The best Universal western I saw was "RIDERS OF DEATH VALLEY". Charles Bickford,Lon Chaney,Jr.,Dick Foran,Buck Jones,and Noah Berry Jr.,were the stars.It was 15 chapters and hyped as the "Million Dollar "serial because of its star power.Best Republic western in my opinion [serial] was "Adventures of Red Ryder"....... To be continued.......kw

Guest son, jery

booohoooo, Alix! My heart's broken. I wanted to build a shrine to this great picture of him in his football uniform. Guess I'll have to wait until they have a picture of his beloved horse, Reno, or whatever. Johnny confessed before he died that he loved his horse more than anyone in the world. What a heartbreaker that must have been for all his drooling fans. thanks, my friend.

Guest son, jery

I just think of my babe-a-licious Johnny Mack Brown and he makes anything possible.

Guest son, jery

I will definitely get me a copy of "Adventures of Red Ryder," Ken, since your knowledge and expertise of this genre is fantastic. I'm amazed Republic isn't putting its serials on DVD. I tried watching "Shadows of Chinatown" last weekend with Bela Lugosi (I got it at the library, DVD, believe it not) and it was horrendous. After two chapters, I could watch no more.

Guest walker, ken

Jery son Thanks for the compliment! Why they would put "Shadows of Chinatown" on DVD is beyond me!!I did better than you.I watched the entire tape version out of curiosity.It is still grade Z. However,he is much better in "S.O.S Coastguard".This is on DVD from the ROAN GROUP.Good transfer and sound.Ralph Byrd co-stars. My nominee for worst serial ever,is "The Lost City".Kane Richmond,usually very reliable,is awful in this one!Terrible serial!!! "Underseas Kingdom",and the first "Dick Tracy" serial are also on DVD.Good entries for collectors.Not from Republic,but good transfers all the same!! To be continued.......

Guest son, jery

I've heard much about how horrific "The Lost City" is. You might be interested in this: my book, "The Kiss of King Kong" (amazon.com)written under my pen name of 'Jason Fury,' traces the careers of three men who go to Hollywood in early 30s. One of them is so powerful that he makes a hideous jungle serial. I based this on "Lost City" which I've heard about. But--my hero, Mack Johnson, eventually becomes a star of Republic Pictures! His screen name is 'Big' Buck Gunn. I also mention William Witney, etc. A real gas. In a way, it's my tribute to all those glorious chapter plays of the late 30s and early 40s.

Guest walker, ken

Jeri son, I'll be going over to amazon and checking out that book of yours.Sounds like something that I will want for my collection! "Lost City" was shown on TV some years back.After two episodes,it was pulled after telephone protests.You need view only the first chapter to understand why. Trivia note...The voice of The Lone Ranger[serial],is dubbed by Billy Bletcher,one of the bad guys in"Lost City".He was small in stature,but had a booming voice.Lee Powell ,who played the Lone Ranger,had a good speaking voice,that was dubbed when he put on the mask.

Guest Alix

I'm so sorry! Did you look up the picture in the ebay archive? OHMIGOSH, you won't believe it. And as far as saying he loved his horse more than anyone else...how could he? I bet he did break a heart or two with that one! (Bet his publicist cried too!)

Guest Alix

Jery, is the hero in your book, Mack, named in honor of Johnny Mack Brown?

Guest son, jery

righto, Alix! Actually, the Mack character is part Buster Crabbe (Tarzan the Fearless, Flash Gordon), George O'Brien (the body beautiful)Buddy Rogers (Mr. Gorgeous) and my Apollo of the Jazz Age: the one and only, JMB!

Guest son, jery

thanks for your interest,Ken. The book has been getting very positive reviews. By the way, there's a folder "Bad Luck Guys and Girls" that you might be interested in. With your background and strong movie interest, you quite probably have a candidate or two for the star with the most heart-breaking life story.