Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

Serials & Horrors

302 posts in this topic

Guest walker, ken

Jery son, Hello again! Just wanted to let the horror movie fans out there to know that Anchor Bay has released a stunning version of "Wicker Man".Edward Woodward and Christoper Lee head the cast.There are two versions offered;the extended version[uNRATED],and the theater release[R],both are included in the set.This is one of those films that needs more than one viewing to fully appreciate its content.The ending is unexpected and shocking.I have the DVD version.I dont know if its on tape.

Guest son, jery

thanks for the info, ken, regarding "Wicker Man." I saw it when it first premiered in London back in the seventies. Then I saw it on both TV and also on tape. Believe me, it had been so re-edited and censored I hardly recognized it. I was going to buy the Anchor Bay edition last week, in fact, but hesitated. After your recommendation, I'll definitely be adding it to my collection this week. Am also going to get "Adventures of Red Ryder."

Guest walker, ken

Serial lovers out there might want to get a copy of "FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE"on DVD from VCI.Granted this is campy compared to other serials produced around that time,but "Buster" Crabbe makes a great Flash Gordon,and Charles Middleton as Emperor Ming is the personification of evil!!!It is a fun serial to watch.The set includes interviews with Crabbe,giving info as to how the serial was made.Also from VCI,"Hi Yo Silver" on DVD.This disc contains the feature version of "The Lone Ranger"serial,plus some of the first episodes of the TV series.The feature version was transfered from a 35 millimeter print.It has good continuity,and shows to some extent how good the original serial was.The print of the complete serial found in Mexico is for die hard fans only!!!!!!It is in English with Spanish subtitles.Same thing for the "Lone Ranger Rides Again",also found in Mexico.The DVD is an excellent transfer of sound and picture. To be continued......

Guest son, jery

Are there any Dario Argento film addicts out there? He's the big, big thing here in the Big Apple. He deserves it, though. If you haven't seen his marvelous, "Suspiria", or "Deep Red" or "Tenebre," you're missing a terrifying treat.

Guest walker, ken

Alix and Jery, I haven't seen one of my favorites mentioned,"The Uninvited" ,with Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey.Music score by Victor Young,and photography by Charles Lang,gives atmosphere to a chilling ,haunting movie. "The Innocents",with Deborah Kerr and Michael Redgrave is another good "ghost story".Fine photography by Freddie Francis. Jery,i'll be looking into viewing "Suspiria".There is a special edition DVD thats highly recommended in stores now.

Guest Alix

That is so neat! What a gorgeous combination of man all rolled up into one character. I just thought it was tooooo much of a coincidence for the main character to spell his name like Johnny did! You're awesome!

Guest son, jery

Ken, the original "The Haunting" (l962)is a favorite goodie of mine. I love to watch it on cold, wintry weekends, along with both versions of "The Thing". Oh, and wow, "The Innocents" is another fave.That incredible photography. There's something about a black-and-white scary movie that just doubles its appeal. That's why "Psycho" worked so well. I watched the horrendous remake of "Psycho" and couldn't believe they spent nearly $60 million on this remake! I found an old cheesy favorite, "Village of the Giants" on sale for $10 and it's great fun. Especially that rousing Freddie Cannon rock number, "Little Itsy Bitty"!

Guest walker, ken

jery son, Besides being one of the best "ghost stories" on film,"The Innocents" benefits from beautiful b&w photography by Freddie Francis. "The Haunting"[original] and "The Thing"[original] are two excellent examples of films without "in your face special effects",and giant budgets, that have stood the test of time.Give me old fashioned movie making anytime. kw

Guest K, Sandy

jeryson, my sister and I caught VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS a few years back on tv. We kept laughing and saying how stupid it was, but of course, we watched it to the end! Wasn't Beau Bridges in that? And Ron Howard? Interestingly enough, my fiance and I were talking about that PSYCHO remake recently. He had read somewhere that they actually remade Hitchcock's film shot by shot. WHAT? Why in the world would you remake a film if you don't have anything new to add? Why do we need a Shot by shot reproduction-we have the original! It boggles my mind.

Guest son, jery

I, too, was astounded when the director of the new "Psycho" bragged how he made his new version, frame-by-frame, based on the old one. Duh! Have any of you guys seen the old "Curse of the Demon"? I loved everything about it except--the Dana Andrews character. He was so damned stubborn about not believing in demons. And when he goes to the mansion of the warlock in the dead of night, armed with only a pack of matches, that was too much! But I noticed that in the old horrors, no one ever carried a flashlight. It was always a cigarette lighter or a match.

Guest walker, ken

jery son, Have you or any of the fans of horror movies of the 30's and 40's saw this movie? "Murder in the Zoo"[1933] w/Lionel Atwell,Randolph Scott,Gail Patrick and Kathleen Burke.I've seen it one time on T.V, with no interuptions.This little gem is rarely shown.It has some strong scenes ,even for todays audiences.Atwell is at his best as the jealous husband of Kathleen Burke.The opening scene shows him sewing up the mouth of her suspected lover,while still alive! Other victims get fed to crocodiles and other victims are dispatched in gory detail.The scene where a deadly black mamba snake is turned loose to kill,will certainly cause nightmares.After I saw the film,I wondered how it got past the censors!!See it when you get a chance. I think you will like it. kw

Guest walker, ken

jeri son, I saw "CURSE OF THE DEMON" in a theater and thought it was very good .I think it's a standard ploy for the characters to do implausable things in these films.I think Andrews acting was ok ,but his actions,even when confronted with reality,did not ring true. kw

Guest son, jery

Ken, you definitely need to add "Murders in the Zoo" to your library! I've watched it countless times and wow, for a l934 movie, you still have to close your eyes sometimes. Especially in that horrific opening where the guy's mouth is sewed up!It really hurts just to see it! kathleen Burke played a great heroine. She's thrown into a pit of crocodiles and Lionel atwill is killed by a giant Anaconda! Wow, this movie isn't for the faint-hearted. No wonder you'll never see it on the for-kids-only Sci-Fi Channel!

Guest walker, ken

This is a bit of serial trivia.Columbia Pictures released their "Batman" serial some years ago,and showed all 15 chapters in one showing.It was pure camp,but a hugh sucess. Republic took one their best[possibly the best of any serial],"Adventures of Captain Marvel",remastered the print and tried the same thing.It was a failure.Why? "Batman" was so bad it was funny and the audience laughed it up.On the other hand "Marvel" was so good,that audiences didn't know what to expect.Future releases were shelved by Republic.A great loss for serial lovers.I saw many of these on first release,so I know first hand,just how good the photography,etc was.Works of art they are not,but entertaining? YOU BET!!!

Guest walker, ken

Serial fans, Heres more serial trivia: Mascot Pictures[later Republic],worked on less than shoestring budgets but still turned out some pretty good serials."Hurricane Express" used the leading characters doubling as villians by wearing "Masks" of other characters.This way producer,Nat Levine got double duty from his cast without paying extra.The Ford tri motor plane used in the movie did double duty also.It delivered the daily rushes at the end of the day for editing.A very young John Wayne starred and did most of his own stunts,with Yakima Canutt doing the more dangerous stunts.Canutt went on to work as 2nd unit director for "Ben Hur",[C.Heston]

Guest WALKER, KEN

jery son, Here's another movie you might want to add to your collection."The Old Dark House"[1932].I watched it yesterday on DVD.Kino did a beautiful transfer from a restored print.Karloff has a small role,but makes the most of it.Charles Laughton goes over the top,but that seems to be in keeping with the plot.Melvin Douglas,Raymond Massey,and Gloria Stuart are fine in their roles.The two characters that steal the show are Eva Moore and Ernest Thesiger who play sister and brother in a very weird family. The photography was by Arthur Edeson.There is humor here,but as with other James Whale films,You may have to watch it more than once to get the message.The DVD offers other goodies;two audio commentaries;a film interview with director Curtis Harrington and a photo gallery.This one rates**** in my book. kw

Guest son, jery

Ken, "The Old Dark House" is one of my favorites from that glorious era of true horror masterpieces. I thought Gloria Stuart was gorgeous. In an interview recently, she said that she battled with director James Whale about that dress. She hated it. Whale wouldn't let her wear any underwear and she felt "naked." And what a cast and crew! Boris Karloff was so sexy! I kept waiting for Bela Lugosi to leap out. I haven't seen the DVD version but your description makes me want to add this to my list of "must buy's"!

Guest walker, ken

jery son, Here's some trivia on one of your favorite serials,"The Masked Marvel".[my personal opinions follow].This serial had the dubious distinction of featuring a cast of "non-actors".That aside,the action is fast and furious.Tom Steele received no screen credit,and his voice was dubbed by a radio actor.William Forrest ,a chief heavy,received top billing over the star!!Anthony Warde and Roy Barcroft shine as the heavies.Spencer Bennet directed in fine style.

Guest walker, Ken

jery son, I have just finished viewing "Tenebre" on DVD. My copy is from Anchor Bay.The transfer[widescreen],is fantastic!!The version I have features Dolby Digital 5.1 sound,and Italian mono.I prefer the stereo version.Startling,to say the least! As a rule,I don't care much for slasher films,but Argentos style takes this film out of that genre and places it in a class by itself.I could go on,but in a nutshell,this is one heck of a movie!!One last comment.The score by Simonetti-Pignatelli-Morante[Goblin] is great.I would like to find a soundtrack album of this movie.Thanks for letting me know about about the Argento films.

Guest son, jery

Ken, so glad you've discovered "Tenebre." Anchor Bay is the only DVD I'll buy when it comes to Dario Argento. I'm buying today in NYC the 3-disc version of "Suspiria." Anchor Bay is incredible. Since you liked "Tenebre," I think you would definitely get a kick out of "Inferno," "Opera," "Deep Red," and naturally, "Suspiria."

Guest walker, ken

jery son, I've ordered "Suspiria" and "Deep Red".I'm going to order "Opera" and"Inferno".Argento impresses me with his use of colors,sound effects,and fluid camera work.I'm looking forward to viewing his other films.

Guest son, jery

Ken, I just brought the DVD version of Dario Argento's "Sleepless." Am going to watch it this weekend here in NYC since we're supposed to get rain and cold weather. I just watched "Inferno" again. It makes me think of Hithcock's "Vertigo." You have to watch it several times to figure out what's going on through all the layers of ideas. And the photography! Wooo, the best yet.

Guest walker, ken

jeri son, Thanks for another Argento title.My DVD of "Suspiria" is suppose to arrive today.I still have "Deep Red",Inferno",and "Opera" on order.Let me know what you think about "Sleepless".You sure hit the bullseye with"Tenebre".I was a bit leary of Italian slash movies,so "Tenebre" came as a nice surprise! The dubbed voices were well done also !

Guest walker, ken

Serial Trivia: David Sharpe,ace stunt man at Republic Pictures,was not allowed to do any stunting in "Daredevils of the Red Circle",for fear of injury!!. kw

Guest son, jery

whatever happened to the fantastic david sharpe? He was kept so busy at Republic making serials I hope he made enough money to retire on. So many of the those poor stunt guys ended up broke, like you pointed out. Especially, the tragic fate of Tom Tyler. I'm suprised no one's written a profile on David Sharpe for one of the nostalgia mags.