Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

Serials & Horrors

302 posts in this topic

Guest walker, ken

jeri son, Heres some info on one of my personal favorites,David Hardin "Dave" Sharpe.He was born in 1910 and passed away in 1980 from ALS[Lou Gehrigs disease].His career spanned the 1930's thru the early 1970's.He worked in numerous western films and features,but is perhaps more fondly remembered for his stunt work in Republic serials. He not only doubled for the male leads,but for the serial heroines as well!Republic's stunt team ,led by Sharpe,Tom Steele,and Dale Van Sickel,was,without question,the best in the business. For those of you who have never saw a serial,get a copy of "Adventures of Captain Marvel".That's Dave Sharpe doubling for the lead ,Tom Tyler.I think you will enjoy the experience.Dave made appearences up to near the end of his life. kw

Guest son, jery

I was heart-broken to read that the incredible ace stunt master, David Sharpe, is dead! I would love to have met him and asked him about some of those truly incredible stunts he performed.In the documentary on Republic that AMC runs now and then, director William Witney said that when David doubled for Kay Aldridge in "Nyoka and the Tiger Men", he refused to shave his legs! It was a macho thing. So the editing had to be extra sharp to avoid showing scenes where the gorgeous Kay wasn't shown suddenly developing "shadow' on her beautiful legs.

Guest walker, ken

jery son, Here is a web site that you and the other serial fans will probably want to visit..[www.serialssquadron.com ]..I've ordered two cds from them [Amazon]. 1.CLIFFHANGERS!Music from the classic Republic Serials:$11.98,and 2.SHOOT EM UPS-Music from the classic Republic westerns:$11.98.They also have some rare serials for sale.

Guest son, jery

wow, ken, i checked out that website for serials and love it! I, too, am going to start ordering stuff from there. also, that movie starring Linda Stirling looks like a real treasure. thanks for letting me know. i don't know if you ever read "Filmfax" magazine that comes out monthly but they had a terrific memoir by buster crabbe about his glory days. would love to have met this guy. Another one I treasure is Johnny Sheffield. This guy was such an Adonis! But strangely, none of his "Bomba" movies are available anywhere!

Guest walker, ken

jeri son, You need to get "Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe"on DVD.The extras include some great interviews with Buster Crabbe along with some of his early TV commercials.The serial is dated but entertaining.Did you notice that "King of the Royal Mounted" is available from Serial Squadron? "King of the Mounties" is also available but with 1/3 0f the soundtrack missing.Unfortunate,because this was another good serial.I plan on getting KORM later.

Guest son, jery

Ken, forget about Argento's "Sleepless." I brought the DVD last week and although it's certainly better than average for a thriller, it's mostly rehash. "Inferno" is the ARgento flick I suggest people buy. And of course, his masterpiece, "Suspiria."

Guest walker, ken

jery son, Thanks for the advice!You have been on the money so far,so i'll leave "Sleepless" alone.I'm still waiting for"Suspiria",and "Deep Red".I'm hoping to have them this week.[also "Inferno"]

Guest son, jery

I just brought an incredible DVD: "Tourist Trap!" Talk about scary and well-done and something very different, you've gotta see this one! Sci-fi channel shows it now and then but it's been incredibly cut for TV. Those life-like dolls scare the hell out of you. It owes a lot to "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" but this is still a real, hot goodie!

Guest walker, ken

jery son, Just picked up my copy of the "Suspiria" three disc limited edition DVD'S. I haven't watched it yet,but i'm really looking forward to viewing and listening to it.I have a Dolby DTS system and it should sound great!I'll post my opinions later...

Guest tillotson, jery

Ken, it's really uncanny, but I also got my special 3-disc set of "Suspiria" two weeks ago and I am one happy horror addict! The color and photography/lighting is fantastic. This is one of the most visually beautiful films I've ever seen. The sound track is fabulous. Especially the Goblins once-in-a-lifetime musical score. The documentary is very well-done. I'm still only half-way through all the goodies because I brought a whole batch of horror goodies on DVD: "The Thing," "Tourist Trap" (You've gotta see this one!), "Scanners," "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (the remake."

Guest walker, ken

jery son, I played the Goblin cd last night.Fantastic sound in Dolby Digital!!As I said earlier,i'm a fan of the original "The Thing",and also the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" w /Kevin McCarthy.I liked the remakes,but prefer the originals.I'm going to order "Tourist Trap".It sounds like a winner.I'm still waiting for "Deep Red" and "Inferno".

Guest mongo

Sill me. I thought that the film "Suspiria" was from the silent era or early 1930's and I come to find out that it was made in 1977. So I looked it up in Leonard Maltin's film book which says: "Terrifying tale with an often dumb plot enriched and overcome by brilliant camerawork, atmosphere, music score and performance (by Argento and rock group Goblin). Also states that it is available on VHS and DVD in more explicit uncut version. Guess what? I will rent it and see what all the fuss is about and if anything at least I'll get to see Alida Valli and Joan Bennett again.

Guest walker, ken

mongo, I was not a fan of "slasher" type movies,but I had heard about "Suspiria" from jery son.I was curious about Argento's films and bought the "Tennebre" DVD.I was convinced.I have the "Suspiria" 3 disc DVD set,and so far have just got around to playing the Goblin soundtrack. Maltin's description would certainly fit "Tennebre".I think you'll be in for an experience when you see this film!

Guest walker, ken

jery son, I've just received my two cd,s "Cliffhangers[Music from Republic serials],and "Shoot'em ups[Music from Republic westerns].These are not soundtrack recordings,rather full orchestral themes taken from the orginal Republic scores.If you haven't seen a serial this music would certainly whet your appetite.Both cd's have great sound,with the serial cd being my first choice[NATURALLY!].Any one interested can log on to Amazon for more info.

Guest son, jery

Ken, I'll definitely check out the Serial CD music. I always loved the soundtracks and the one for "Spy Smasher" is terrif. You may already have these but I've got two great video tapes that I watch every month. One is a compilation of serial previews and the other one is a collection of horror movie preveiws. There are some glaring omissions from each but there're still enough goodies from the 30s and 40s to keep you busy.

Guest walker, ken

jery son, What are the titles of those two videos you mentioned in your last post? I'd like to get them for my collection. Thanks.

Guest walker, ken

jery son, Just a note.I'm viewing "Buck Rogers"on DVD.The transfer is only slightly improved over the tape version.Special effects are better than "Flash Gordon",but nothing to brag about.The main interest for me is the supporting cast filled with serial veterans,Anthony Warde,David Sharpe,Eddie Parker,Henry Brandon,and Ken Duncan.Jack Muhall has a minor role.I think Buster Crabbe is better in this than in "Flash Gordon".Constance Moore is the feminine interest.Charles Previn did the score.The serial isn't great,but interesting. [From VCI]

Guest walker, ken

jery son, I just finished watching "Suspiria" on DVD.My heart is still pounding.I thought "Tennebre" was something;I should have watched this one first!Argento lulls you into a sense of false security before slamming you in the gut with some of the most graphic murders that I have ever seen in any movie!Anchor Bay did a perfect transfer,and listening in Dolby DTS,your senses are assaulted from all directions. There were three scenes in particular that were unforgetable for me,but for the sake of those who may want to watch the film,I won't give anything away.Just when you think that you know what happening,Argento throws you another curve.If at all possible,see this on the Anchor Bay DVD. KW

Guest walker, ken

jery son, I've just purchased another Argento DVD,"Cat o'Nine Tails[1971 with James Franciscus and Karl Malden.Have you seen this one.Roger E. rates this a "bomb",but I rarely agree with his reviews. I'm sure i'll like it. I have "Opera","Inferno",and "Phenominia" on order.More on "Cat" later.

Guest son, jery

Ken am thrilled you watched the great "Suspiria" and had the same reaction I did. You can watch this movie on several different levels: for the suspense, then the technical wizardry like the great usage of color and lightning. I loved the way Argento dressed his cast. Today, all the teenboppers heroines wear jeans, slacks and tee-shirts. In "Suspiria," his cast were attired in beautiful Italian designs. And that music! The two scenes I cringed and could hardly watch were: (1) that first murder in the bathroom; (2) the girl falling into a room filled with razor-sharp wire! "Inferno" and "Opera" are both real goodies! "Deep Red" is another must see Argento gem.

Guest son, jery

Ken am thrilled you watched the great "Suspiria" and had the same reaction I did. You can watch this movie on several different levels: for the suspense, then the technical wizardry like the great usage of color and lightning. I loved the way Argento dressed his cast. Today, all the teenboppers heroines wear jeans, slacks and tee-shirts. In "Suspiria," his cast were attired in beautiful Italian designs. And that music! The two scenes I cringed and could hardly watch were: (1) that first murder in the bathroom; (2) the girl falling into a room filled with razor-sharp wire! "Inferno" and "Opera" are both real goodies! "Deep Red" is another must see Argento gem. By the way, I won't buy any "Euro-Shock" Italian horror film unless Anchor Bay puts it out. They are the absolute best.

Guest walker, ken

jery son, In addition to the two scenes you mentioned,the third scene that shocked me[and i'm not easily shocked!],was the scene where the blind man was attacked by his guide dog.The composition of that sequence,along with it's effective use of sound,is very unnerving to say the least.Last but not least,kudos to Anchor Bay.I have been satisfied with all of their DVD's.Thanks for letting me know about Argentos films!

Guest walker, ken

jery son, In case you haven't done so already,watch "Black Sabbath" on DVD.It contains three different stories .Boris Karloff's segment is the best.He portrays a vampire in "The Wurdulak".This is the European UNCUT version with Boris speaking Italian.Subtitles are available.Mario Bava directed all three segments.[From Image Entertainment]

Guest walker, ken

jery son, I started to watch "Cat o'nine tales" tonight and discovered I had a defective disc. It started out interesting enough but half way through,it started acting up.It would seem to be a standard who-done it.Very little gore.Let you know more when I view the complete movie. kw

Guest mongo

I have a copy of "Black Sabbath" although it is badly dubbed in English. The episode that is the most frightening and scary to me is "The Drop of Water" where a nurse steals the ring off a corpse and is haunted to death.