Sign in to follow this  
batman7765

what is everyone's favorite war film and why?

86 posts in this topic

my favorite war film would have to be platoon, i thought it was the most accurate film depicted of vietnam, and the acting and the story was excellent, what is everyone's fav war film>?

I'd have to go with *The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp*, because it encompasses a pretty huge time span and does so with sincerity and great wit.

I don't know if I can say this is my all time favorite, but one that I have been thinking a lot about lately is "Glory". I have always found that film to be very inspiring and extremely emotional. The acting is so well done and the characters are quite distinct, each w/ their own personality. Certain scenes toward the end are just so "beautiful" though filled with tragedy. I have a young child, so we don't get to watch too many films with this level of violence though, so it has been well over 5 yrs since I've gotten to see it. Maybe sometime I will stay up late and pull it out. It is worth the bleary eyes in the morning just to watch it again, I am sure.

Kathy,

*Glory* is a terrific movie, which I found very deeply moving since the first time I watched it (when it opened in theaters). I'm glad you brought it up, because it's one of the best of the movies from the 80's and deserves to be remembered.

Going back to WW2 movies, I think *The Big Red One* is also worth mentioning, both for Samuel Fuller's great direction and Lee Marvin's standout performance.

I like several for different reasons but one of the best is "Pork Chop Hill." A top notch Korean War film that deals with the Americans trying to take a hill held by the Chinese.

My other top two are "Bridge On The River Kwai" and "The Guns of Navarone."

*My other top two are "Bridge On The River Kwai" and "The Guns of Navarone."*

Those are also excellent, Chris. I'm very lucky in having gotten to watch both of them in revival theaters. B-)

The Big Red One

I've never seen that, but I bet my husband has. He was in that division when he was in the military back in the 70's. I will have to see if he's watched it or not.

"Bridge On The River Kwai

We have that film on tape and we both like it very much...

My husband and I go around passing lines back and forth..."This is war...not a game of cricket" and one that we use nearly everyday...."Madness" But it usually has little to do w/ war or even bridges when we say it. :-)

My top favorites are both War Films with John Wayne, "Sands of Iwo Jima" which is a very moving War Film that shows just how great of an actor John Wayne really is, my other favorite is "The Longest Day" because of the amazing cast and how it shows every side of the Normandy Invasion.

>...."Madness" But it usually has little to do w/ war or even bridges when we say it.

Would it have anything to do with children?

Would it have anything to do with children?

Sometimes...but lately it has more to do with American politics...but let's not go there right now.

My top favorites are both War Films with John Wayne, "Sands of Iwo Jima" which is a very moving War Film that shows just how great of an actor John Wayne really is, my other favorite is "The Longest Day" because of the amazing cast and how it shows every side of the Normandy Invasion.

*The Longest Day* really is a great movie, and I really want to watch it again - possibly once it has been released on Blu-Ray. I'd also love to have a chance to watch it in a theater. B-)

I have several but a top ten favorite of mine is Stalag 17. Great writing and story. The closing is for me one of the best parts. After Seften escapes they are wondering why him and Animal says "Maybe he just wanted to steal our wirecutters."

I can't say it's my favorite, maybe because it feels to close to home for me, but I found 'Hamburger Hill' to be the most realistic to me in regards to how the 'soldiers' in the movie behaved and talked, their interactions. Really reminded me of the guys I served with.

Always really enjoyed 'Bridges at Toko-Ri' for the action and weirdly enough, the downer of an ending.

I have two favorite war films: 1) The Green Berets (which I saw five times in as many days prior to entering the Army in 1968), and 2) Go Tell it to the Spartans. After coming home from Vietnam in 1970 I watched The Green Berets for the sixth time. I understood it better having lived it. John Wayne, in my view, did a good job making the film. Burt Lancaster told the story of the real war and the insanity it created.

-- Phill

http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/a44/pcole.htm

My 2 favorite war movies of all time are Sands of Iwo Jima and Midway. Simply because I love WW2 films. My dad was a WW2 veteran and I used to listen to his war stories. If there was ever a war that needed to be fought that was it.

I've always felt that "Das Boot" has been the most realistic, and sad, war film ever made. That being said, my favorite "war" movie is "Since You Went Away" which I also claim as my favorite Christmas movie. The relationship between Claudette Colbert and Joseph Cotton is done so well. Robert Walker is the only distraction in my opinion. I'd love to have dog like Soda and that ending always gets me!