Sign in to follow this  
batman7765

what is everyone's favorite war film and why?

86 posts in this topic

My fav is They Were Expendable,a movie by John Ford with John Wayne & Robert Montgomery love the movie because it has a great story with good character acting.It is not a happy story but a story of heroism in the face of long odds.

> {quote:title=schoolyard wrote:}{quote}

> My fav is They Were Expendable,a movie by John Ford with John Wayne & Robert Montgomery love the movie because it has a great story with good character acting.It is not a happy story but a story of heroism in the face of long odds.

Hi Schoolyard, and welcome to the boards. I'm seldom in these "neck of the woods"

because I'm not a fan of war films in general but you named my one BIGGEST exception

to that rule. It's sheer poetry, that's what it is. A very special movie that transcends

the war movie "genre".

*Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb*

It explains how war arises and shows the consequences better than any other movie I can think of. Lesson: The irrationality of total rationality. Or, how irrationality can appear to be rational. Beautiful to watch, a smart and vicious script, and a stunning performance bry Sterling Hayden -- it has me laughing to the Apocalypse. It is also my favorite Comedy.

_Honorable Mentions_

*Duck Soup* -- After Dr. Strangelove, it explains how war arises and shows the consequences better than any other movie I can think of. Lesson: The irrationality of total rationality. Or, how irrationality can appear to be rational. It is my second favorite Comedy.

*The Steel Helmet* -- Sam Fuller + Gene Evans. Tough. Gritty. And dark.

One of the best: The Story of G.I. Joe.....hard to find (NetFlix has it) but worth the effort. Based on War correspondent Ernie Pyles' WWII experiences. Pyles is played by Burgess Meredith. The movie follows a US Army platoon through North Africa and Italy. The platoon members are played by actual WWII veterans. Robert Mitchum is terrific as the platoon's commander. The film was nominated for four Academy Awards, including Mitchum's only nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Stunning and poignant ending.

I'm a war movie fan, so I don't have an absolute favorite. Of recent offerings I would say that "Blackhawk Down" is very good. It's brutal and raw. "Das Boot" and "Stalingrad" are great. "Tora, Tora, Tora" is the best take on Pearl Harbor as is "A Bridge Too Far" on the air drop over Holland. If you are interested in air war, "The Battle of Britain" is good.

This is a very tough question, I understand the need to have inspirational films when the country needs them, but my favorites are the ones that reflect. Not necessarily anti war, but emphasize the reality of sacrifice and why it sometimes is necessary. Command Decision does that better than any other film for me. At the end Clark Gable talks about sending his men into combat knowing some won't come back. But somehow making them count, so maybe their kid brothers won't have to follow. Command Decision has an excellent cast who all give a fine performance. Of course there isn't a lot of action in this film, but the messages are there.

in order of release, my favorite war films are: From Here to Eternity, The Great Escape, and the first half of Full Metal Jacket.

why these??? the first 2 are really good stories, w/ interesting characters. i read both books.

that scene in the Great Escape is priceless:: "Up the rebels; down the British," as they're drinking American moonshine on Independence Day. Even tho' i own these 2 films on TV i still watch whatever i catch when they're broadcast on TV, preferably w/o commercials!!!!! as films should be.

i think Full Metal Jacket changes radically after Gomer Pyle suicides himself and the next scene is in VietNam with the "me love you looooong time" girls. Kubrick didn't like to travel; i believe FMJ was filmed in England.

"Glory" is actually my favorite film of all-time. I was 11 years old when I saw it in the theater. I thought it was the best that I had ever seen. As I get older, it seems that I feel even stronger that it is the best film, in my opinion. So, needless to say that as it is my favorite film, it is my favorite war film. The acting is flawless, casting is perfect (despite what people want to say, Broderick was a perfect choice for Shaw if you know what he looked like), the cinematography is my favorite in any film, the score is excellent and the battle scenes are great. The story has been tweaked a little from the true story, but I don't care. The main part of the story is there. It is one of the most inspirational stories in history, and I think it was captured perfectly onto the screen. It would also clearly be my favorite Civil War film.

As for other war films (without giving long explanations on why I like them), I will say that "The Big Parade" and "Bataan" are definitely second and third.

"Battleground" with James Whitmore, Van Heflen, and Ricardo Montalban. Not the usual rah, rah, war movie. It shows the grittier side of the war and how the soldiers dealt with it. The last scene speaks for the whole movie.

My favorite war film is *The Great Escape* but I think that *The Bridge on The River Kwai* and *The Guns of Navarone* come close as well as *Where Eagles Dare*.

Message was edited by: JoeBond

Message was edited by: JoeBond

Hello everyone,

Would I be cheating a bit by saying THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY is my favorite war movie, although it also happens to be a western? Actually, I am saying it half-jokingly. The civil war element of the movie is never really given a lot of emphasis, in my opinion.

Some of the best war movies that I've seen include ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT, OH! WHAT A LOVELY WAR, PATTON, and Samuel Fuller's THE BIG RED ONE.

But it'd be mighty hard to pick a single one of those.

I think The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly could be considered a war movie because it does deal with the Civil War. I think that you could also make the argument that How The West Was Won is also a war movie because it deals with the civil war even though it is not a major part of the movie.

I agree with you, Joe. However there's no denying that when people think of war movies, a lot will usually associate the genre with movies about WW1, WW2 or Vietnam. Maybe even Iraq and Afghanistan. That's just my impression, anyway.

Yes, I don't really consider The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly as a war film because it has a much more of a western feel to it rather than a war feel to it.

I agree it is difficult to narrow down a favorite film...even of a particular genre. There have been many great war films mentioned here. One of my favorites is more of a "coming home" war story that is so touching it ranks as one of my all time favorites. It is called "The Best Years of Our Lives." It follows three men of different backgrounds coming home to the same home town after WWII: one an Air Force pilot, the other an Army Sergeant, and a Sailor who lost both of his hands. The Sailor played by Harold Russell virtually played himself as he was wounded and lost his hands in service of his country. The characters are played brilliantly and really gives you a look into what it must have been like to come home, and the difficulties in readjusting. Even though not all wars looked and felt like WWII, I think the message and human experiences expressed by those characters are timeless. It is definitely worth checking out. The great Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Dana Andrews are all outstanding. The movie will make you laugh at times and sad at others, but it is a great flick.

One of my favorites is "Paths of Glory" with Kirk Douglas and Adolf Menjou.It's more of an anti war movie actually.Also consider "Cold Mountain".The battle scene in the crater at Petersburg is gruesomely realistic and the background music during that is a dark old Wesleyan hymn-absolutely chilling

Everyone here is doing an excellent job of listing many of my favorite "serious" war movies...but my all time favorite is a patriotic, ridiculously full of propaganda, flag waving, wonderfully fun movie called "Desperate Journey (1942)" with Errol Flynn and Ronald Reagan

my favorite war movie is The Search. its brilliant and completely different from all other classic WWll films

I would have to add "A Walk in the Sun" and "Story of G.I. Joe",both superbly acted and directed. While the are many others I consider favorites I have to include Sam Fullers "Steel Helmet" and "Fixed Bayonets", gritty, dirty and very realistic, no flag waving or hero's, just men obeying orders and trying to stay alive. and yes "Big Red One".A note on Lewis Milestone, he directed the mentioned "Walk in the Sun", and what many consider the greatest war or anti-war film ever made "All Quite on the Western Front" and also "Pork Chop Hill" on the war in Korea,I can't think of another director who did films on all 3 conflicts,WW1,WW2 and Korea, and did them so beautifully......

I'm going with four here, but I'm sure there are others. Two from WWII:

The Longest Day

Tora! Tora! Tora!

because I became interested in World War II back in junior high (that's what it was called back then) and read a lot about it. and two from Vietnam:

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

because it was my generation's war. We watched it on television. I had a cousin and a friend wounded over there and a guy from our neighborhood killed.

Have to say Stalag 17, 12 O'Clock High and Best Years of Our Lives. Someone also mentioned Paths of Glory which was fantastic as well. The subject matter in all of these digs deeper and are more complex then most films during WWII or w/in five years or so. Having said that, The Longest Day and They Were Expendable are hard to beat flag wavers.

Mine is The Search, it just isn't like any other war story, it's all about recovery, not the fighting, which i think is even more important.

Search.jpg