Sign in to follow this  
batman7765

what is everyone's favorite war film and why?

86 posts in this topic

There was film made in Britain during the war entitled "THE IMMORTAL BATTALION" it stared David Nevin and a host of fine British character actors. It told the story of a group of civilians called to service during WW11, their training Sgt. and their platoon leader. The story been done alot how the men begin disliking every thing & everybody and how over time they become fine and dedicated soldiers. I suppose there really nothing real special about this film beyond the performances, but i have always liked it. Unlike other films made to support the war effort this one is kind of fun the bedraggled nature of British battledress as opposed well fitting American uniforms in films of the same period. Here in a poorly equipped camp the men and the officers have to go off base if they want something as simple as a hot bath. There is a short appearance by a very young Peter Ustinov as a North Africa inn keeper that is almost worth the price of admission. Its a propaganda film, but an enjoyable one.

Edited by: stjohnrv on Nov 20, 2009 4:34 PM

"The Guns of Navaronne", for three reasons:

1) It's a damn good film, with solid performances and lots of action

2) It deglamorizes war; the characters are fully aware that horrible things are being done to them, and that they're doing horrible things to others and at a terrible cost to themselves. But as Gregory Peck says, it'll only be worse if they do nothing.

3) Strong female characters. So few films even mention that women are involved in war at all, or suffer as a result, or can have any effect on its progress. And Irene Pappas is just incredible, and made so few engligh-language films.

The Guns of Navarone is also one of my favorites. Just wish they'd never made that completely unnecessary sequel - Force 10 From Navarone, which is a waste of time in spite of Robert Shaw (whom I really admire)

Someone wrote: "3) Strong female characters. So few films even mention that women are involved in war at all."

That is, with the exception of some segments of the Russian front during WW2, no women have been involved in active combat.

Unfortunately, to sell movie tickets in the US most of our war movies require women occupying over 50% of screen time. Less than a handful of war movies made are realistic in not having a single female face shown... not even in flashbacks (when a GI is reminiscing of his pre-war days) used by some producers to forcibly bring women into the story. One such film which had not a single female was: "Men of the Fighting Lady".

Forcing female's into movies has altered the real world. Currently the US Army actually employs female Drill Sergeants to teach males BCT (Basic Combat Training), despite the fact that these female DS's have never, and will never, see actual ground combat as infantrymen (or infantrypersons). And some in the military are complaining that the fact that women are now teaching men the art of warfare and combat survival may account for why our country cannot seem to decisively win wars anymore... as we did in WW2 when glamorous female combatants existed only in movies to sell tickets...

-- Phill

> {quote:title=PhillColeman wrote:}{quote}

> Unfortunately, to sell movie tickets in the US most of our war movies require women occupying over 50% of screen time. Less than a handful of war movies made are realistic in not having a single female face shown... not even in flashbacks (when a GI is reminiscing of his pre-war days) used by some producers to forcibly bring women into the story. One such film which had not a single female was: "Men of the Fighting Lady".

>

I don't know. Even in the old days, women might not have been involved in the actual combat, but there was a role for them in the war effort, as nurses, WACs, etc. It's understandable if the main parts all went to the men, but there were ways to have women, too - and some movies actually focused on the role of women in the war, like Cry 'Havoc' and So Proudly We Hail!.

Someone wrote: "I don't know. Even in the old days, women might not have been involved in the actual combat, but there was a role for them in the war effort, as nurses, WACs, etc. It's understandable if the main parts all went to the men, but there were ways to have women, too - and some movies actually focused on the role of women in the war, like Cry 'Havoc' and So Proudly We Hail!."

The film I thought under discussion was "Guns of Navaronne" in which the two female actresses performed as infantrymen carrying guns, killing Krauts, and either teasing or avoiding sex. I know of no nurses or WACs who served as infantrymen during WW2 or any war... nor were any portrayed in 'Navarrone'.

If this is to be a general conversation about females in a war zone as opposed to females serving in combat assignments I would have made a different reply. If anyone wishes to have a conversation about women who served in war zones as rear echelon, medical or support personnel there are a large number of films fitting that category.

As for my war service with women, I recall seeing only three uniformed females during my entire year in Vietnam. One was an Army clerk who was later arrested for prostitution. The other two were nurses, neither of whom compared in anyway to the 'Florence Nightingale' image of Vietnam nurses widely depicted today.

-- Phill

Edited by: PhillColeman on Nov 28, 2009 9:44 PM

> {quote:title=PhillColeman wrote:}{quote}

> The film I thought under discussion was "Guns of Navaronne"

I apologize about the misunderstanding. Yes, the comment that prompted this aspect of the discussion had to do with Guns of Navarone. Sorry that I assumed you were just talking about wars in general. :)

Jake wrote: "The greatest war movie ever made is Patton..."

"Patton" was indeed an excellent film because the producers adhered closely to the script based on General Omar Bradley's book: "A Soldier's Story". Some of the lines in "Patton" were direct quotes from Bradley's book. Genl Bradley provided some substantial technical advice. I have heard that he even attended the famous viewing at the White House requested by President Nixon, who the following day, was so moved by Patton's blood and guts that he (Nixon) ordered the Cambodian Incursion (1970). "Patton" is one of very few war films with almost zero make believe.

As a side note, approx 55,000 of us arrived in Vietnam in the late summer of 1969 specifically to take part in the Cambodia Offensive but Kissinger and Nixon got cold feet. It took Nixon's seeing "Patton" almost six months later to muster his courage. Of course, by that time all security had been lost and the 'Incursion' failed terribly. Such a catastrophe would never have occurred under George S Patton.

As for Bradley, he survived approx 10 more years after he assisted in "Patton's" completion. But approximately one year after "Patton's" release the elderly General was assigned two new male orderlies for his residence. The two males (both enlisted men) were caught late one night in the General's kitchen engaged in a manner of conduct not to be described on this family page. (Let's just say that their activity is today being supported by certain people wish to abolish 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' so that such activity cannot result in prosecution, which the two orderlies were subjected to at Ft. MacArthur where the Army assigned me after my tour of duty in 'Nam.)

When seeing the two orderlies on the base (at Ft MacArthur) I couldn't help but remembering seeing "Patton" in Vietnam (Nixon ordered the film to be shown on all military bases; he ordered that "M.A.S.H." be restricted from military bases). Remembering Karl Malden's great performance in "Patton", as well as Omar Bradley's full career, it seemed a tragic event to have the private home of a general who was known as "The GI's General" to be violated in the way it was by two person's who, obviously, had no respect for the General's enormous contribution to saving the world only 25 years prior.

"Patton" remains required viewing for all new cadets at The Point. It is one of the most accurate war films Hollywood has produced.

-- Phill

"The film I thought under discussion was "Guns of Navaronne" in which the two female actresses performed as infantrymen carrying guns, killing Krauts, and either teasing or avoiding sex."

I'm not going to get into the issue of women in the miliary except to correct this: The women in "Gun of Navarrone" were not infantry, they were resistance fighters.

Members of the resistance faced all the dangers that official soldiers did, and got none of the benefits. No pay, no medical care, no military-industrial complex providing equipment, and if they were captured they had none of the rights of prisoners of war. Joining the resistance to fight the nazis took more guts than any of us can imagine, and there were women who did it.

I usually have too many favorites to pick just one, but certainly one of my top favorites is William Wellman's BATTLEGROUND.

There are many great and terrific war films and most of them are mentioned here. One of my all time favorites is Lewis Milestones "A Walk in the Sun". The restored uncut version just came out on DVD, but I haven't seen it yet. I just ordered it from Amazon. Is it the greatest war film made, of course not, but it is a very well made and beautifully acted and photographed one. It places more on the characters then most other ones, but it is not short on action, like most fights the action comes fast and then it's over and the marching goes on and on. Dana Andrews, Richard Conte head a fine cast. Milestone directed what many consider the finest war or anti war film ever "All Quite on the Western Front" for the first world war and he did this one for the second world war and he directed one of the best set during the Korean war "Pork Chop Hill" with Gregory Peck....

the fighting sullivans

chere04/21/2010

*i was very fortunate to experience this movie on a recent trip to Buffalo NY with my daughter and her NJROTC classmates. while spending the night on the USS LITTLE ROCK at the buffalo military park, , part of the entertainment was movie time, and this happened to be the movie that was being shown. what made it such a unforgettable experience is that docked right next to the USS LITTLE ROCK was the USS SULLIVAN one of the retired naval ships that so honorably beared the name for the 5 brothers. it was an unforgetable and marvelous experience for my daughter and myself to be able to watch the true life story, and also walk the deck of the vessal that carried the name of these 5 naval heros. while we sat watching the movie, it was as if the 5 brothers were in the room with us. this is an truely amazing movie that i recommend to anyone who wishes to laugh, cheer and cry. not a dry eye and the silence of the audience said it all.*

*Apocalypse Now!* It was the best screen adaptation of *Heart of Darkness* ever. Orson Wells tried to do a film version but failed. He said it was impossible to make a movie from that book. *Apocalypse Now!* is the best anyone has done and maybe the best that can be done.

♠For me the best war movie ever made is "The Longest Day". Try watching it and see if you can take your eyes off the screen...

Lots of great choices already mentioned here, but I have to say that "The Best Years of Our Lives" might be my favorite war-themed film. In my all-time top 10 for any genre.

Also, "The Train" was mentioned and is an under-appreciated classic by John Frankenheimer. Great action sequences and some unbelievable train crashes. One that hasn't been mentioned is "The Battle of Britain," a 1969 film with probably the best air-to-air combat sequences ever filmed. One more - "Enemy at the Gates", a 2001 film starring Jude Law as the famous Russian sharpshooter Vassili Zaitsev during the battle of Stalingrad. Amazing set design and great acting from Law, Rachel Weisz and Ed Harris.

Thank you for asking!

War movies...Best World War I movie is the one with Kirk Douglas, Paths of Glory....he is in the trenches with his men, and has a horrible commanding officer. Really gives one an idea of the utter brutality of World War I, how the men suffered, and had to fight even though the battle plans made no sense.

Best World War II... for me it is Patton, flawed fellow though he was, the film is mesmerizing, I never tire of seeing it, or hearing the voice of that great actor, George C. Scott. The music is haunting, the photography, the ending, "...all glory is fleeting" Yikes, has to be movie making at its finest.

Best Coming Home from War Movies...Best Years of Our Lives...these scenes where the husband and wife embrace, and the joy of the little girl at seeing her brother home, leave me gulping everytime.

A war movie about the redeeming power of love...

Coming Home with Fonda is a great little time capsule of the Viet Nam era...

Best action film on WWII - Where Eagles Dare, love that film, still keeps me on the edge of my seat.

Agree, both wonderful films, and we so rarely see the German side of things...

Since You Went Away....life was like that, back then!

I agree with markfp2, my favorite war film of all time is Battleground.

I like it best for a number of reasons. First of all, it was made in 1949, which was still at a time when the war was fresh on people's memories, and so the attitudes and language (with the exception of a lack of profanity) accurately reflected the way people talked and behaved in the 1940's. It was long enough after the war not to be a flag-waving morale booster film. The soldiers are realistaically portrayed as being tired, scared, cold, cynical and ready to jump on a chance to get away from the front lines for a while.

Second, it really shows the way in which a small squad of men becomes a family during military service. The relationships between the men in the squad show how they protect each other, yet still fight and argue with each other -just like a family, how they relay on each other, yet still can't wait tillit is their won turn to leave and get home. The friendship that develops especially between each two-man foxhole team is portrayed in a way that I find realistic based on my own experience in the army. This movie is similar in that respect to Band Of Brothers and The Big Red One

Thirdly, I think the actors are exceptionally well cast do a great job, and the effects and look of the film seems very realistic - even though it was filmed inside a refrigerated studio.

There are some other war movies that I am very fond of, like A Walk in the Sun, The Story of GI Joe, The Sands of Iwo Jima, Pork Chop Hill, Platoon and Saving Private Ryan, but I would easily call Battleground my favorite.

Wow! This could be a long list! :) In no particular order and trying to be brief. Gettysburg, Glory, Patton, Midway, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Run Silent Run Deep, In Harm's Way, Full Metal Jacket, Hamburger Hill, We Were Soldiers, Blackhawk Down, The Hunt for Red October, The Blue Max, The Bridge at Toko Ri, The Patriot, The Longest Day, Fat Man and Little Boy, Day One, The Hunley. I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch more.

Here is a list of 100 of my favorite war movies (there are a lot more that I like but I didn't want to go over 100):

1999 Saving Private Ryan

1955 To Hell and Back

1945 Objective, Burma!

1943 Air Force

1944 Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

1957 The Enemy Below

1933 Hell Below

1943 Edge of Darkness

1976 Midway

1970 Tora! Tora! Tora!

1980 The Big Red One

1990 The Memphis Belle

1943 Sahara

1943 Gung Ho!

1951 Flying Leathernecks

1951 The Tanks are Coming

2001 The Lost Battalion

2000 The Patriot

2004 The Alamo

1940 Northwest Passage

1962 Lawrence of Arabia

1964 Zulu

1953 Malta Story

1970 Patton

1959 John Paul Jones

1944 The Story of Dr. Wassell

1939 The Real Glory

1955 The Scarlet Coat

1965 Von Ryan's Express

1959 The Horse Soldiers

1997 Rough Riders

1962 The Longest Day

1960 Sink the Bismarck

1966 Is Paris Burning?

1968 Where Eagles Dare

2001 Black Hawk Down

1971 Von Richthofen and Brown

1957 The Bridge on the River Kwai

1976 Aces High

1984 Red Dawn

1987 Escape from Sobibor

2001 The Enemy at the Gates

2006 Flags of Our Fathers

2006 Flyboys

2010 Beneath Hill 60

1938 The Dawn Patrol

1942 Commandos Strike at Dawn

1942 Desperate Journey

1942 Flying Tigers

1942 The Navy Comes Through

1943 Action in the North Atlantic

1943 Destination Tokyo

1948 Fighter Squadron

1950 Breakthrough

1951 Go for Broke!

1952 Flat Top

1957 The Colditz Story

1958 Run Silent, Run Deep

1959 Surrender - Hell!

1965 The Heros of Telemark

1966 Cast a Giant Shadow

1966 The Blue Max

1967 The Dirty Dozen

1968 The Devil's Brigade

1977 A Bridge Too Far

1987 The Lighthorsemen

1995 Crimson Tide

2001 Band of Brothers

2002 We Were Soldiers

2005 The Great Raid

2008 Defiance

1970 Kelly's Heroes

1959 Pork Chop Hill

1951 The Red Badge of Courage

2003 Gods and Generals

1989 Glory

1951 Drums in the Deep South

1957 The Pride and the Passion

1970 Waterloo

2009 Green Zone

1966 Khartoum

2003 Master and Commander

1942 Went the Day Well?

1969 Battle of Britain

1945 They Were Expendable

1955 The Dam Busters

1961 The Guns of Navarone

1962 Merrill's Marauders

1963 The Great Escape

1968 The Green Berets

1962 The War Lover

1945 The Story of G.I. Joe

1945 Back to Bataan

1949 Battleground

1969 The Bridge at Remagen

1977 March or Die

1979 From Hell to Victory

1958 Dunkirk

1967 Tobruk

1996 Courage Under Fire

My is They Were Expendable. I come from a city with *three* Navy installations in the area-one my birthplace-so I might be prejudiced but for me this makes it seen like I'm in the middle of it all. The Sands of Iwo Jima and The Longest Daydo the same thing. Newer ones like Tora, Tora, Tora and We Were Soldiers are also worth watching.

Let me say this: Stay with TCM this week-end if you want a real choice in films. There must be at least 30 from all decades and wars on tap. All AMC is doing is running 12 or so ad nauseum with commericals every 10 minutes. As usual, we can't be beat. Have a safe holiday and please remember why it's called Memorial Day. To all those "Gold Star" families, we share your pain and thank them for what they did for us.

Kelly's Heroes because of Donald Sutherland's character Oddball. Battle of the Bulge is also a good way to spend some time. This list could go on for ever.

"Battle of the Bulge" was one of the worst films made on WW2. It always looked to me like they ran out of money and had to end it in a hurry with Henry Fonda setting fire to the gas drums of the German tanks. This film was so inaccurate that former President Dwight Eisenhower, who was also the head of the Allied Armies in WW2 denounced it in a press conference after it's release....