Sign in to follow this  
batman7765

what is everyone's favorite war film and why?

86 posts in this topic

While it isn't always practical to film on location, the *Battle Of The Bulge* wasn't even close to replicating the place or the weather conditions in which the actual battle occurred. *Patton* certainly did a far better job of giving the viewer a sense of the real conditions for the actions being shown.

Oh let's see a few of mine are::

_Sink The Bismarck_ - Three of my grandparents came from England. This was a very well done movie and stuck close to the truth!

_Green Berets_ Fairly accurate, it was at least one flick that did not downgrade the Vietnam War.

_Dam Busters_ Well done, albeit a bit inaccurate. The actual attack did not do much at all.

_The Sullivans_ Good flick, albeit, again, a bit inaccurate.

_The Bunker_ About my favorite, very well done and very close to being accurate.

_The Light Horse_ About Austrailain mounted infantry in WWI. Great flick and very accurate.

_Fly Boys_ Good flick, albeit, again, too much Hollywood BS.

_Tora, Tora, Tora_ Good movie, close to accurate, less Hollywood BS!

_Task Force_ Good old Gary Cooper, good close to accurate flick

_Memphis Belle_ Good flick with great acting.

"Patton" did a very good job on the Bulge", although just a small portion of the film. But it was a film on the man not the battle. I still think "Battleground" was and is one of the best film's on the subject.Regarding the "****" G.I.'s involved in the battle. It still is a powerful film....

"Twelve O'Clock High" (1949) for me. Because its all about the men and their issues; rather than the guns or the ammo. Set against a background of authenticity. Based on a collection of real-life people and real-life incidents. Seen it I don't know how many times and it remains heart-in-throat stuff.

• Like 1

First thoughts:

Finest acting, directing and writing: Trial on the Road (1986), The Ascent (1977), Ballad of a Soldier (1959), Father of a Soldier (1965)

Funniest war comedy: La Grande Vadrouille (1966)

Great war film, but almost too difficult to watch: Come and See (1985)

Definitely deserve mention:

Sam Fuller's "The Steel Helmet" (1951)

Terrence Malick's "The Thin Red Line" (1998)

Kon Ichikawa's "The Burmese Harp" (1956)

• Like 1

Good, except that I myself must demur on Terence Malik. For me, nothing he's done except 'Badlands' was plausible or convincing. Mostly because of the actors--Richard Gere in 'Days of Heaven'...groan. And then the absurdly long gap between flicks; only to wind up with ageing drug-addled Nick Nolte? 'Badlands' is movie magic and Malik is certainly a stylist but his other two outings...wait he's got a total of four flicks now right? Didnt he just do 'Tree of Life' or something with Sean Penn? Eh. Just doesn't 'look right' to my eyes. Out-of-place in today's superhero landscape.

5 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Good, except that I myself must demur on Terence Malik. For me, nothing he's done except 'Badlands' was plausible or convincing. Mostly because of the actors--Richard Gere in 'Days of Heaven'...groan. And then the absurdly long gap between flicks; only to wind up with ageing drug-addled Nick Nolte? 'Badlands' is movie magic and Malik is certainly a stylist but his other two outings...wait he's got a total of four flicks now right? Didnt he just do 'Tree of Life' or something with Sean Penn? Eh. Just doesn't 'look right' to my eyes. Out-of-place in today's superhero landscape.

I, for one, find Richard Gere unbearable; he is so conceited and pompous. He looks like an ****, to boot. After doing "Tree of Life", Malick has succumb to making tripe.  I recently tried to watch his latest opus, "Song to Song"; it was god-awful! Had to put it down without finishing it.

• Like 1

I'm kinda with you there. Gere is hardly my favorite. I can't hardly name more than one Gere film I admire. He and Sly Stallone have always had a feud for precisely this reason you stated --his smugness--they even got physical on the set of 'Lords of Flatbush' and --laughably--Gere was ignominiously ousted.

Anyway I wish Malick had stayed golden; chosen better projects. Or, I wish he had stayed away from films entirely after 'Badlands'. That's really all he needed to do, to be a classic talent. That one picture. It was put together on a shoestring and remains a marvel. Alas--after he 'arrived' in Hollywood, he went the way of all flesh.

This is not to say that 'Thin Red Line' is a misfire--if you like it, I am sure its got merit which I failed to detect. What I saw of it, made me turn away. But I have very particular and stringent personal preferences which you are free from.

It's not that I dislike Nolte in particular--but, he's been acting for so loooong and I've seen him in soooo many roles. Like many of his peers to whom I am also over-saturated, I simply have had enough of him and he doesn't seem plausible anymore.

Anyway, cheers.

I am a big fan of films that transcend the movie-watching experience.  When I first saw "The Thin Red Line", almost 20 years ago, I was entranced by Malick's attempt to do something different. It certainly made an impression on me.  Most probably if I watch it right now, perhaps I won't have such a high opinion of it.  I believe that sometimes movies make a stamp on filmmaking history at the time they are made, and as time goes by, some lose impact and some don't.  The ones that never lose impact are truly unique.  Directors the likes of Bunuel, Antonioni, Capra, Kubrick and many many more make such films.

• Like 2