Sign in to follow this  
bggalaxy

Favorite Action or Adventure Film

27 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this thread has appeared before, if so please bring it forward, thanks. Anyway, with all the high tech action films of today what are some of your old favorites such as: King Kong, Gunga Din, Test Pilot, Tarzan, and The African Queen are some of mine off the top of my head.

Off the top of my head I'll go with "The Man Who Would Be King" with Connery and Caine. And I always did like the original 1933 thriller "King Kong".

I know I will think of some more that I will list later.

Mongo

Present day action favorites are the Indiana Jones Trilogy.The oldies include The Spoilers.The climatic fight between John Wayne and Randolph Scott is the highpoint of the movie.

The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone and Olivia de Havilland is a great adventure film. Flynn was at his peak & de Havilland was at her loveliest. And of course good old Alan Hale Sr. as Little John. It was film in beautiful technicolor so sumptious that you could practically taste it. Love this movie.

Although I'm not a fan of too many westerns I thought "The Magnificent Seven" was great, with a colorful soundtrack and an allstar cast--Yul Brynner, James Coburn, and Mr. Cool Himself, Steve McQueen.

Has anyone seen "Westworld?" That's some flava when you combine the old west, science fiction, and Yul Brynner, the Terminator coyboy.

My favorite from the classic era is Fairbanks' Thief of Bagdad. But really, any of Fairbanks' swashbucklers are worthwhile viewing for me. Fairbanks was always so much fun to watch, and the sumptuous sets are such a fascinating historical reference of what lavish budgets bought in those days.

From the modern era, I especially like The Count of Monte Cristo (2002). The style of this production is so old-fashioned, I have to remind myself that it was made so recently. Only brief stretches of swordplay, but the film otherwise features a fine cast, and the likes of Errol Flynn certainly never possessed Jim Caviezel's obvious heart, gorgeous, soulful eyes or deep acting ability.

Yes! The Thief Of Baghdad! also,

The Adventures Of Robin Hood(1938)

Beau Geste(1939)

Gunga Din(1939)

Northwest Passage(1940)

Captain Blood(1935)

The Charge Of The Light Brigade(1936)

Spartacus(1960)

The Great Escape(1963)

Bullitt(1968)

Enter The Dragon(1973)

As for "Adventure"...For me, there's a tie between "The Thief of Baghdad" and "The Sea Hawk" (both 1940).

I like the classic ones, of course, but I also love:

WHERE EAGLES DARE

OPERATION CROSSBOW

ICE STATION ZEBRA

my favorite action movie is from the 60's

"Arabesque" starring Gregory Peck & Sophia Loren

its a great movie it has drama, comedy which in this

movie Peck excells at!....

sophia is as sexy as ever but the chemistry between

Loren & Peck is worth the price of admission.....

Thee is a surprise ending.....lolite

It is one of the films that I recall, when Sophia Loren has appeared more ravishingly beautiful ever!!!....Remember Gregory Peck Looking at her like "in awe" saying to her: "hello, hello, hello,..."...great chemistry between those two...and Loren's lips, cheekbones and eyes....sultry!.

yup, feaito that's the movie ! Sophia a priceless gem

a 182 carat in this movie. If you haven't seen it

please rent it people you'll love it on a lazy summer

afternoon. lolite....

I like ones like The Black Swan with Tyrone Power and I also liked King Solomon's Mines, which will be on TCM in the next few days. There are so many more...

Indiana Jones movies all three

"Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn

"Jurassic Park" I love the scene where Alan Grant and Ellie Sattler get their first glimpse of the dinos--raised goosebumps on me and the raptors hunting them thru the jungle...brrr

"Gunga Din"

Gosh it is not really my genre, I loved the 80's ones like the Indiana Jones series of films (Harrison Ford was HOT in those movies- what a man!! ), or The Jewel of The Nile and Romancing The Stone with Michael Douglas ( love that man!! ). I also loved Goonies- but maybe I should put that in the " guilty pleasures " thread!!

I also would say the indianna Jones movies the whole collection. The Star trek movies with the original cast

love that capt. Kirk! But first and formost is all the

James Bond movies with the first being "To Russia with

Love" and all the movies since then my favorite being

"Goldfinger" with top hat using his top hat as a lethal

weapon to Shirley Bassey singing the title song to the

movie great! BTW Sean Connery was and still is my favorite James Bond. MARTINI SHAKEN NOT STIRRED

for oo7. lolite.

I'd like to ask Indiana Jones fans to explain to me how old Indy was able to hang onto the Nazi sub's periscope when it submerged in the Med off the Egyptian coast and didn't resurface until it was in the Artic Ocean which was a short 1500 miles away. To quote Jim Hutton's character "TV" in "Where the Boys Are".... "What Lungs!"

Slappy I always wondered this too, but being a huge fan of the films I just assume he somehow hid just inside the hatch without anyone spotting him. Or maybe he was able to keep just his head above water.