Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Your Favorite Movie Animal

37 posts in this topic

O.K. who is it? Lassie? Rin Tin Tin? Rhubarb? Pete of Our Gang? Francis the talking mule? Asta?

Of course there are many other creatures to choose from.

Who is your favorite and why?

Mongo

Rin Tin Tin was an actor par excellence.He only had one trainer,a man who rescued him after World War one.He can still be seen in some early Mascot serials,available on tape.Among his co-stars were George Brent and Kane Richmond. He could express emotions,and could handle action stunts better than some of his human counter parts.Note...Do not confuse him with Rin Tin Tin Jr. who was no relation to this great dog star.

As someone who, in general, prefers animals over people, I love animal films and performers. Here's my TOP TEN:

1. "CAT" from BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1960).

2. "THE BLACK" from THE BLACK STALLION (1979).

3. "PYEWACKET" from BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE (1958).

4. "PATRACHE" (sp?) from A DOG OF FLANDERS (1959).

5. "TRAMP" from LADY AND THE TRAMP (1955).

6. "BUCK" from THE CALL OF THE WILD (1935).

7. "CRUSTY" from THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET (1964).

8. ALL THE WOLVES from NEVER CRY WOLF (1983).

9. THE BEAR from THE BEAR (1989).

10. BABE from BABE (1995).

I abhor films that feature scenes with animal cruelty, even from the old days when they should have known better. That's at least one improvement films today have over the classics. Yet there persists in this country an unspoken agreement that it's still okay to feature violence against cats in the media, a sad tradition brought about by lazy brained animators and feline-phobic writers and directors who can't fathom an animal that doesn't act submissive. I despise it and do whatever I can not to patronize any medium or person that portrays cats as villians.

Dogs: "Old Yeller" owns the key to my dog-loving heart, though I also love "Big Red" from another, later Disney movie. I'm also a pushover for the Lassie movies, especially "Lassie Come Home" (Lassie's distinguished supporting cast here includes Edmund Gwenn, Donald Crisp and an outstanding Roddy McDowell, who is magnificent). I recently caught "Courage of Lassie" in its entirety for the first time. What an emotional wringer!! Jeez, poor Lassie, as a reluctant veteran of WWII, has a wicked case of post traumatic stress disorder! He even has flashbacks! Crikey, I thought he was gonna wind up living in an alley and assauging his pain with cheap hooch for the rest of his days.

Horses: Pie from "National Velvet" was a magnificent horse, but there is a very beautiful 1994 British made version of "Black Beauty" that I'd recommend to anyone, but get out your hankies for that one. It's another heartbreaker.

Monkeys: Cheetah from the Tarzan movies captivated me as a child, since he seemed to be the only comic relief in those films. Now, he seems pretty annoying.

BTW, yes, I know that Cheetah is a chimpanzee, not a monkey. And, last I heard, he's still living.

Baby, the leopard, from Bringing Up Baby (1938)...oh and the dog from the same movie just makes it even funnier that a woman from the era has a wild animal for a pet!

"Bruce" from "Jaws". Was there ever a better villian? I know he's a machine but they also used a real shark for the underwater scenes.

Babe The Pig

Asta

The animals from Homeward Bound & The Incredible Journey

The Bull from The Brave One (major tear jerker)

The Pye (spelling) National Velvet

Old Yeller

more later

I gotta go with that BIG hunk-a-bear who guided and protected the baby bear in "The Bear". He was also in "The Edge" terrifying Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. He appeared at the Academy Awards in 1998 and was a pussycat.

Sadly the big guy has since passed away.

Mongo

It will always be "Bart" the Bear for me. Fortunately, his wonderful trainer has a couple more bears working today, "Little Bart" and "Bump", who will live up to the original "Bart's" talents. Maybe there is even a third?

For Horses...I liked The Black Stallion very much. He did a hell of a lot more than run around a track in that movie, and that's not something you see a horse do on screen very much. Awesome Horse, and beautifully trained and ridden by Kelly Reno. I was also pretty fond of a Montana Horse named "Cisco" who was in "Dances with Wolves".

And, who couldn't love Babe, the Pig?

:)ML

Does it have to be a real animal? Wouldja accept an animated one instead? 'Cause all I can come up w/is Archimedes from The Sword in the Stone.

It can be anything your little heart desires antar.

As a matter of fact I overlooked my favorite animated animal character Thumper from the movie "Bambi".

Mongo

I know this was mentioned but I just love Asta in the Thin Man movies. He was a great actor LOL!!! I watched After the Thin Man the other day & he had a Scottish Terrier trying to make time with Mrs. Asta (and the litter had a little black dog in it!) I laughed so hard at that and the ways he was trying to keep the Scottie out. It was so funny.

Bracken, you just reminded me of "Greyfriar's Bobby"--the little Skye terrier who wouldn't leave his master's side, even after his death. Yeah, it's sentimental, but it's said to be a trus story. *sniff, sniff*

"Asta from the thin man movies and in the movie

"Bringing up Baby" what charm , what personality, what

stage presence!.....Asta should get the oscar for best

scottish terrier on film!....

p.s. Always wanted a scottish terrier & i would name him

what else! Asta. (have not been posting lately had a short in my computer wire had to wait awhile to replace it also had a bout with the flu!)so many new chatters on

our boards WELCOME!.........

I love some of the animals mentioned here, like Babe, the Black Stallion and Toto, but I enjoy animated ones even more. Tex Avery's Droopy and Spike are my all-time favorites. Thumper and Roger Rabbit are really cool too. And then there's Marvin the Martian, who I guess is more of a strange creature than an animal.

Prof, I'm with you on the cat thing--I hate when movies throw a cat, drop a cat, etc. and it's supposed to be funny. And has anyone noticed that it's always the SAME cat screech sound effect? In every movie of the last 15 years or so? What's up with that?

That's why I loved THE ARISTOCATS, especially that Thomas O'Malley the Alley Cat!

I also have to say that Pongo, Perdita and the pups from 101 DALMATIANS (the animated version) are faves, too.

I do love Babe the pig, but a close second is My the border collie from BABE.

Moira, I cracked up at your post about COURAGE OF LASSIE! I watched that one on TCM last year and had the same reaction. Love that Lassie, though. Beautiful dog.

Sandy K

Those of you who said Asta...I HAVE an Asta. They're no fun at all! They take over the house, take commands as a SUGGESTION, and eat everything that they can reach. Once my fox terrier got into the peanut brittle. He had so much of it in his mouth that he couldn't shut it or even chew it. He just walked around the house with this solidified mass in his jaws that he could neither swallow or expell. I had to break it out piece by piece as he snarled at me for "stealing" his little snack. He's WAY too smart. Once he tricked my wife out of a chocolate cresant. He saw her put it on the table and immediately began to howl to go out. Immediately after being put out he began the most piteous whining. When my wife opened the door, he shot by her, snagged the cresant and flew up the steps with it and dove under the bed where he ate it at his leisure. This is when I displayed MY intelligence by easing on down to the basement.