Sign in to follow this  
professorecho

The Prof RECOMMENDS This Movie!

4 posts in this topic

Hey, for those of you who may have missed last Saturday's screening of PHANTOM LADY on TCM, you'll have another chance at the end of the month and again in May and June. As TCM continues to raid the Universal vaults for some really great stuff, take this opportunity to watch a genuine film noir classic.

PHANTOM LADY is from 1944, is based on a novel by the great Cornell Woolrich and was directed by Robert Siodmak. It stars the ever beautiful, exotic Ella Raines, with Franchot Tone and Alan Curtis. It is a masterpiece of its genre, filled with all the proper atmosphere and imagination films noir are legendary for, with an incredibly erotic scene involving a drummer that somehow made it past the code. I guarantee you won't forget it.

It airs on April 30 at 8:00pm (eastern) as part of that evening's tribute to the underrated Siodmak. I hope you will all watch it and let me know what you think!

Professorecho,

I love the Film Noir films TCM broadcasts, so I taped PHANTOM LADY the other day and just watched it last night. I agree that this is a real find in the film noir genre. Ella Raines is pretty spectacular, isn't she? Wonder why I haven't seen her in anything else (that I can recall). I also enjoyed the great Noir cinematography in 'Phantom Lady.' Also, could that scene with the drummer be the first ever Cinema depiction of a beatnik nightclub? That band was rocking! Anyway, I agree that 'Phantom Lady' is a good little film that deserves to be rediscovered.

Sounds good...I'll hafta check it out, Prof!

I'm a BIG fan of Robert Siodmak and all of the UFA emigres. I just wish they'd air The Suspect (also with Ella Raines!) for a change, rather than the ones tonight (all admittedly great) which they show with greater frequency.